Author Topic: Soapnuts - anyone growing them?  (Read 2504 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Soapnuts - anyone growing them?
« on: June 05, 2012, 02:28:09 AM »
These are related to lychees and have native species in many parts of the world. I started one from seed two years ago from an ebay seller and it's been in a 5 gal pot. It's not an edible fruit. Anyone have experice with any species?

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Soapnuts - anyone growing them?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 10:26:40 PM »
I have heard of them and I am about to attempt cloth diapering, so I'll bite...what has your experience been with it? How big is the tree? How prolific? What are water/sun/climate needs? Have you tried washing clothes with it? If so...can you throw it in a high efficiency washer and then just fish out the used fruit at the end???

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:32:21 PM »
BTW, although it seems too good to be true, these do seem to get rave reviews for the most part: http://www.amazon.com/NaturOli-Soap-Nuts-Berries-PIECES/dp/B001NU2L8U

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
I bought my Indian variety seeds from the same company. But there are soap berries native to the US. Like these...
http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/servlet/the-Tropical-Fruit-cln-Tropical-Fruit-S-dsh-Z/Categories

Seedlings are supposed to take as long as 10 years to bear fruit and can grow to 20 meters. I started them as soon as I could get some seeds. I hear the Chinese variety is more compact. If you know of a source, airlayering should work.

I don't know how good these are compared to laundry detergents since I'm not picky about ending up with the right shade of white. I put some in a cloth bag into a mug and pour hot water into it just a little before doing laundry. Just shake thing around a little and pour into the machine.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:44:48 AM »
I bought locally a smaller box different brand of soapnuts than what you posted. The one i bought was totally worthless for laundering clothes, and the seeds were all removed only hulls remained. I bet there are some botanicals that work but this one was certainly not one of them.
Oscar

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
The hulls are where the soapy substance is. Seeds are black and hard. I cracked some with a chisel to germinate. 10 years wait is not for everybody but I figured maybe I'll find a mature tree before then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk