Author Topic: Future's Florida Fruit Feast Vol 10  (Read 4222 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Future's Florida Fruit Feast Vol 10
« on: July 12, 2020, 12:33:44 PM »
And so it continues...

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Future's Florida Fruit Feast Vol 10
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 12:37:20 PM »
And so it continues...
Dude! I was wondering when we were going to hear from you!  ;D  God bless you!
John

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 01:04:35 PM »
Drumroll please?

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 04:54:54 PM »
Great Abayomi! 😀 you have been so helpful with the reviews and fun same time, hope you find lots of mangos to try!
El verde es vida!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 12:32:48 AM »
Let’s see which varieties top the list this year!

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 02:17:17 PM »
First allow me to thank the friends and vendors who supplied abundance this year.  You know who you are and we remain highly appreciative of our ongoing friendship.

Everyone seems to be aware of the early start and end to 2020’s mango season. So out expectations were very tempered.

Add corona virus driving uncertainty and not allowing international travel until July and it was only a short while ago when we got he green light to head to south Florida from Bermuda.

All told, our 10th year in the game came in unexpected packaging.

Alas, amidst swirling circumstance, bounty was forthcoming.

It’s a busy time here for me but reviews are coming...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 04:20:01 PM »
What's on for 2020?

Alanpur Baneshan
Angie
Arka Neelkiran
Beverly
Cac
Carrie
Coconut Cream
Cotton Candy
Crystal
Cushman
Dot
Edgar
Ewais
Fruit Punch
Gary
Gaylour
Haden
Harvest moon
Honey Kiss
Ice Cream
Jakarta
Julie
Kesar
Lemon Zest
M4
Maha Chanok
Mallika
Mapulehu
Mekong
NDM
Neelam
O-15
Orange Essence
Orange Sherbet
Peach cobbler
Phoenix
Pickering
Piña colada
Pineapple Pleasure
Pram kai mea
Ryan
Seacrest
Southern Blush
ST Maui
Sugarloaf
Sunrise
Super Julie
Sweet tart
Taralay
Taymour
ValCarrie
Venus
White Piri
Wise
Z-20
ZINC

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 05:26:27 PM »
Is it too late to hold on hope that Creme Brulee breaks into the top 10 this year?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 06:57:38 PM »
Is it too late to hold on hope that Creme Brulee breaks into the top 10 this year?

This brings to what didn't happen in 2020.  I had pretty low expectations based on the early season end, inability to travel to florida.  I was guesstimating being able to secure 25 varieties.  Had to dig deep and do quite a lot of driving.  Good people helped me secure 56 varieties so far.
 The perennial flavor bombs not included among them include Po Pyu Kalay, Creme Brulee, Super Alphonso, Golden Queen, Ivory, Mesk, Mario, P22, Yi Xuan, Mun Khunsee, Kryptonite, Mesk, Rapoza, Bombay...to name a few.

But make no mistake, with thanks, we've score some amazing delights this year.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 09:19:06 PM »

This brings to what didn't happen in 2020.  I had pretty low expectations based on the early season end, inability to travel to florida.  I was guesstimating being able to secure 25 varieties.  Had to dig deep and do quite a lot of driving.  Good people helped me secure 56 varieties so far.
 The perennial flavor bombs not included among them include Po Pyu Kalay, Creme Brulee, Super Alphonso, Golden Queen, Ivory, Mesk, Mario, P22, Yi Xuan, Mun Khunsee, Kryptonite, Mesk, Rapoza, Bombay...to name a few.

There is no Kryptonite, its Kathy (Richard Campbell had no right to name (or rename) someone else's mango).
- Rob

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 09:58:10 PM »

There is no Kryptonite, its Kathy (Richard Campbell had no right to name (or rename) someone else's mango).
Yes it does make it confusing K-3 Kathy and a rock from another planet :-\ How many names does Zill 34-24 have? :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 10:06:02 PM »

Should it not be considered paid forward? 'Raw Honey', 'Lemon Meringue', 'Whatever sells best'...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 10:09:21 PM »

Rob. How have you been man?

Yes, we are aware of the double naming. We are agnostic to the politics of not all..but Kryptonite sounds sexier than Kathy.

Separately, reminds me, I wonder what name Dr. Campbell came up with last summer - with consent this time - for M- 10 and M-17.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 10:26:06 PM »

Yes, we are aware of the double naming. We are agnostic to the politics of not all..but Kryptonite sounds sexier than Kathy.

Separately, reminds me, I wonder what name Dr. Campbell came up with last summer - with consent this time - for M- 10 and M-17.
Maybe  Kylight and Vibranium
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 01:55:54 AM »

I'm going to breed a mango just to name it Lex Luthor... I'm going to make sure it starts super sweet then turns to pure cat piss in your mouth! Surprise!!!! :-X   :'(

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 06:25:35 AM »

I'm going to breed a mango just to name it Lex Luthor... I'm going to make sure it starts super sweet then turns to pure cat piss in your mouth! Surprise!!!! :-X   :'(
Nice!!! When you do please send me budwood plus Fairchild Diamond :P Not the Diamond’ mango from Myanmar (aka Sein Ta Lone). HW-14
Ps please be advised I got a text alert that Lithuanian gypsies are vacationing on the Gulf Coast they may be in search of Sea Walnuts

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 05:50:59 AM by bovine421 »

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2020, 05:57:45 PM »
Ok, so I got busy.  Mighty busy.  Too busy to keep a meal by meal log.  But nonetheless, here's a summary of where we are so far.

2020 has featured some biggiesMost notable monstrosities have included

Cotton Candy
Cushman
Harvest moon
Jakarta
Pickering
Pineapple Pleasure
Ryan
Southern Blush
ST Maui
Super Julie

2020 has also featured new mangoes to me.  Most notably:
Alanpur Baneshan
Mapulehu
Wise
Gary Zill's Z-20

2020 made me rethink a few mangoes:
Beverly tasted much better than I recall.  Hard not to place this among my top 50 mangoes.  it was dense, sweet, juicy, aromatic and complex.  Incredible really.  Why have I looked past Beverley all these years?  I must have had a bad introduction.

Honey Kiss hasn't been a fave of mine.  Its been prone to internal breakdown in some years and washed out in others.  But this year it caught my attention.  It was perfect.  Oh, and its one of the "quietly" polyembryonic Zill varieties.

And finally there were the vegetables.

Most have eaten an Angie that's tasted like carrot.  This year one did.  Others that sported newly minted vegetable profiles included

M4
Lemon Zest
Phoenix
Orange Essence
Super Julie

Now for certainty, source matters.

The travel lockdown followed by mango season 2020 crashing to an early end left a scramble that took me as far west as Punta Gorda.  Well, at least that drive scored 8 Lemon Zests (plus much more).  Most notable taste differences between sources included Phoenix which was vegetable from some and divine from others.

As for the mangoes knocking socks off in 2020, well that comes next....

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2020, 06:28:25 PM »
Can't wait to read your reviews, particularly on Z-20. Tried one a couple of weeks ago...

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2020, 07:49:57 PM »
M4 were mostly off this year for me. A few tasted close to what I remember from prior years.

My small crop of Phoenix were all funky this year. If they tasted like this the first time it was being reviewed, it was not surprising it got axed. Last year I got some excellent fruit.

I have never had a vegetable tasting Lemon Zest out of over a hundred eaten. I have had a few that looked good on the outside but tasted fermented.  The few super julies and orange essense I have had have all been excellent fruit. 

In my yard, this year was a good year for dot, peach cobbler, and lemon zest. It was a bad year for M4 and Phoenix. I had some excellent pina colada and pineapple pleasures but this was the first year fruit for those.

Yes, source does matters, especially experienced in a single year. I think quality needs to be reevaluated yearly and at the variety level. I don't get out to sample fruits from multiple sources like you do so maybe some sources are consistently better than others.

Most have eaten an Angie that's tasted like carrot.  This year one did.  Others that sported newly minted vegetable profiles included

M4
Lemon Zest
Phoenix
Orange Essence
Super Julie

Now for certainty, source matters.
Brandon

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2020, 09:43:46 AM »
As for the mangoes knocking socks off in 2020, well that comes next....

Future, will you be adding to this, or has it been cast aside, much like the armadillo whose corpse now rests alongside the sidewalk curb in front of my home?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 04:58:13 PM »
What happened Future? Was waiting for more reviews...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2020, 06:24:14 PM »
It started with good intentions but then I got real busy, real fast.  I’ll throw together a top 10 list with honorable mentions...

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2020, 08:59:30 PM »
It started with good intentions but then I got real busy, real fast.  I’ll throw together a top 10 list with honorable mentions...
That would be nice!
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2020, 10:50:20 PM »

Can you please add your impressions of Z20?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 05:44:43 PM »

Can you please add your impressions of Z20?

Z20 was interesting. I got unlucky and lucky at the same time. Unlucky I arrived at Zill HPP their last day selling fruit and there were all of three varieties left.  Lucky, one was Z20. I didn’t know anything about it but loaded up on it. Glad I did.  While it took some timing to get the ripeness right, once I did it was clear - it’s a good orange flavored mango candidate.  It’s early days yet but I rate Orange Essence and OS higher but Z20, has a promising future.  Monoembryonic seed.