Author Topic: Fruit Cocktail mango  (Read 1447 times)

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
Fruit Cocktail mango
« on: November 17, 2020, 08:26:44 PM »
Bought 1 today without researching taste.  Im finding respectable reviews calling it quite mild, low flavor.  Good aroma, no fiber, but bland.  I'll grow it & hope fall off the tree ripe's better.

edit- i wrongly typed fruit punch not cocktail originally sorry.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 08:29:04 PM by EddieF »

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit Cocktail mango
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 08:45:50 PM »
Fruit Punch is a more highly regarded cultivar

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 08:55:21 PM »
I also bought 1 on a whim while in florida last august...hard to decide on a cultivar if you haven't tasted them. I was going for LZ since I tasted it, but the trees looked diseased so I settled for a fruit punch.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 09:57:46 PM »
it's quite full & low branched which sold me.  I'll grow it, figure a bad home grown variety should still taste better then grocery store imported.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 07:40:14 AM by EddieF »

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 06:54:53 AM »
The individual taste preferences to me are so personal, particularly when it comes to Mango varieties and other tropical fruit varieties.  That is why I like to be able to try particular varieties prior to purchasing, planting and caring for a tree.

I don't know if there is a list of growers that are willing to sell small quantities of mango varieties as they ripen locally but sure wish it would be possible to have.  I and am sure others would have no problem driving up to an hour or possibly two to be able to purchase and sample some of these varieties.  That is actually how my wife an I decided on several varieties of trees that we have.  We were fortunate enough to visit a Nursery Tree seller when mangos were in season and he was kind enough to cut some of a number of varieties that happened to be ripening at the time.  We purchased 6 trees immediately and planted them at our old home.  -- They got caught in a freeze the first year so we went back and replaced the 4 that didn't make it.  Then we sold that home, two years later just as many of those trees were beginning to fruit.  We went back to him and purchased another 5 of the same variety to plant here late last year, plus purchased 4 additional varieties.  He sold us a lot of Mango trees and we have referred a number of people to him.  Now we are hoping for our first year of actually picking our own 9 varieties and considering buying some additional varieties to plant where we are now.
No such thing as instant gratification when it comes to growing your own tropical fruit!

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 08:26:20 AM »
I think Fruit Cocktail is quite good actually. We had a nice crop on it this year and the feedback was very positive as well.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 09:11:01 AM »
Yay!  Good to hear fruit cocktial's decent mango.
I know ripeness effects flavor so hopefully in a couple yrs, i'll get to taste them from almost ripe to fallen off the tree picked up off the ground in the morning ripe.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 01:00:23 PM »
I only had the mangos a few times from ZHPP but they don't always pick them at an optimal time.
I think I only had one that was great. Still like Fruit Punch better.

I'm not too thrilled about the texture, It wasn't melting or anything but had more of a Kiett like text.

I'm hoping to get some from some other growers next season

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 05:48:46 PM »
It’s a good choice, edging into my top 50

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 10:39:45 PM »
For me, it’s the only “performance mango” that actually tastes like it’s name. I like it, wouldn’t kick it out of bed, but not my favorite because I like VERY sweet and it’s just not, but is very interesting IMO.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 01:25:40 PM »
Which mango trees did you purchase?

The individual taste preferences to me are so personal, particularly when it comes to Mango varieties and other tropical fruit varieties.  That is why I like to be able to try particular varieties prior to purchasing, planting and caring for a tree.

I don't know if there is a list of growers that are willing to sell small quantities of mango varieties as they ripen locally but sure wish it would be possible to have.  I and am sure others would have no problem driving up to an hour or possibly two to be able to purchase and sample some of these varieties.  That is actually how my wife an I decided on several varieties of trees that we have.  We were fortunate enough to visit a Nursery Tree seller when mangos were in season and he was kind enough to cut some of a number of varieties that happened to be ripening at the time.  We purchased 6 trees immediately and planted them at our old home.  -- They got caught in a freeze the first year so we went back and replaced the 4 that didn't make it.  Then we sold that home, two years later just as many of those trees were beginning to fruit.  We went back to him and purchased another 5 of the same variety to plant here late last year, plus purchased 4 additional varieties.  He sold us a lot of Mango trees and we have referred a number of people to him.  Now we are hoping for our first year of actually picking our own 9 varieties and considering buying some additional varieties to plant where we are now.
No such thing as instant gratification when it comes to growing your own tropical fruit!
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2020, 03:07:29 PM »
@JulianoGS, We have a preference of mangos without fiber and the trees I planted are Cogshall, Carrie, Mallika, Glenn, Choc Anon, Cotton Candy, Keitt, Ice Cream and Lancetilla.  Additionally we planted a Florida Prince Peach, a Tropic Snow Peach and a Cara Cara Orange tree.  Funny, well not really the Tropic Snow Peach tree was a large one for me, a 25 gallon pot.  After planting that in early spring, I started having issues with my left knee area.  It turned out that I guess in digging the hole I not only ended up with a stress fracture but also a meniscus tear.  While the stress fracture healed, I had to have arthroscopic surgery which, in my opinion, was a major fail as almost 6 months later I still have a fair amount of discomfort and my ability to move around is much more limited.  Guess that's life - just another issue with getting old.