Author Topic: Banana Spacing  (Read 1312 times)

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
Banana Spacing
« on: November 20, 2020, 02:20:47 PM »
I have 4 bananas in my hedge. Ice cream and mysore on one side, spaced 14' apart and ice cream and mona lisa on the other size, spaced 14' apart. Can I squeeze smaller varieties such as a dwarf namwa right in the middle of that 14' gap? Or would that be too tight a fit? Thanks for your help.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
Re: Banana Spacing
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 05:18:20 PM »
10' apart is what most commercial plantings are spaced at.  But 7' spacing should be fine.  It isn't ideal since the plants will partially shade each other.  The plants will grow a little slower and might have smaller bunches of fruit.  But the trade off is more varieties.

Bill

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 06:02:01 PM »
You could try that and it might work just long enough to taste all the varieties. Ice cream could fill the entire space in about 3 years starting with 2 plants unless you constantly remove and discard suckers, but it could also act as a windbreak to protect the others enough until they fruit at least once.

LycheeLust

• I need the seedless lychee
    • Los Angeles, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 06:11:59 PM »
I have mine 2 feet apart

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 08:07:33 PM »
Whatever i got started with 1.  Crowds quick once you start moving suckers a few feet away.
They're smaller then grocery store b's and sweetness is beyond incerdible.
More spacing would yield more b's per bunch but it's enough for my freezer.  From 40-100 per bunch.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 09:36:15 PM »
I agree with Bill.  10ft is ideal but 7ft is doable.  Any closer is way too crowded. 
Brad Spaugh

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 09:52:50 PM »
- Rob

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 06:33:41 AM »
I have mine 2 feet apart

??

I'm interested in this too...

I should clarify that this is along the east side of my property - so running north and south. So the smaller bananas will get sun, I guess, from the east and west, but mid-day will be shaded out by the taller bananas.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 06:44:12 AM »
Mine are north side running east to west.  Not planned but i see it was lucky choice.  Sun all day.

TheVeggieProfessor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 10:27:19 AM »
Since it will get too shady under the big ones for another banana to go between... Any recommendations for something I can plant in that gap? This is part of a privacy hedge - FYI. I was thinking that Achacha might work. Any thoughts?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 06:20:12 PM »
I have been thinking about your dilemma. Because bananas are more like a grass than a woody tree, they are "semi-mobile." I have watched a patch of sugarcane migrate close to 10' around the edge of a pond over the years (with no human intervention). You could intentionaly do the same with your bananas by only allowing them to send up suckers on the outside edge. In a couple years the original clumps would be 20' appart and would be 10' from the clump you planted in the middle.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 08:01:16 PM »
I think they'd grow in shadows.  Fruit production might be hurt but banana trees grow like bananas here.
I cut leaves off quite often to give them more air, sun, space. 
Once they're established, they pop up quick and good luck getting rid of them if you change your mind 3yrs from now.