Author Topic: Which Calcium for mangos?  (Read 3068 times)

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
Which Calcium for mangos?
« on: November 21, 2020, 01:31:06 PM »
I see all different types of Ca mixes with either N, K or other.  Ca seems very important & my little sugar belle & oll look to be deficient going by photos i see online.
My 5 new mango (3g 7g 15g) trees are in same soil & i want them happy.  What should i get at local big box stores or online?  I sprinkled a little super fruiter 6-3-16 so far.

Thank you,
Ed

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Which Calcium for mangos?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 02:07:55 PM »
In SE FL, you probably do not need Ca. Limestone should supply plenty

Focus on P and K and micros

less N to none needed as they get bigger
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 02:10:23 PM by roblack »

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 02:26:54 PM »
Sorry partially wrong on the limestone answer. I asked Gary Zill the same question and this was his reply;
Richard
Usually calcium deficiency shows as softness and an off taste at the bottom of the fruit and around the seed.
 The coral will supply calcium slowly but will also raise the soil ph which can cause problems if it’s mixed with organic matter.
I use Calcium Sulfate ,Gypsum. I get it from Helena but it shouldn’t be hard to find at any ag supply.
 I’ve also been applying Boron along with calcium. It’s necessary for the calcium to move in the trees. I was surprised to see leaf levels should be as high as or higher than a number of micronutrients .  Too much can be toxic but don’t be afraid to apply a little.
Borax soap is as good as any and grocery stores have it in the detergent section. A 6 pound box should be enough for your yard maybe for more than one season.
Spread  a tablespoon evenly around larger trees along with the calcium.
I plan to start applying Ca and B in August and again in December. Calcium moves very slowly into the tops of the trees so I think it’s important to start applying it soon.
I hope this helps. Gary
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 02:30:50 PM by weiss613 »

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 07:53:46 PM »
Ok, so Ca sulfate is very similar to gypsum i read.  True?
Is sheetrock (scraps) a good source?  I could hammer some pieces in ziplock & spread around trees.
Or simply buy 5lbs of Ca sulfate & take the easy road.
Yes i'll be asking next how much to sprinkle around trees.  Wild guess- 1/2 cup?

Thanks again,
Ed

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 08:03:27 PM »
Ok, so Ca sulfate is very similar to gypsum i read.  True?
Is sheetrock (scraps) a good source?  I could hammer some pieces in ziplock & spread around trees.
Or simply buy 5lbs of Ca sulfate & take the easy road.
Yes i'll be asking next how much to sprinkle around trees.  Wild guess- 1/2 cup?

Thanks again,
Ed

They are one and the same.
Go wild with calcium, chances are the trees will love it.

Sheet rock is an excellent source.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 09:55:08 PM »
For 3gal 7gal 15gal mango in ground...

1 square foot of sheetrock pounded to bits give/take each sound good?
I'll mix some with water & test pH too for fun.
What's mango & citrus' ultimate soil pH?  6?  6.5?  7?  I need target.
Ed

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 12:03:14 AM »
Foliage pro 9-3-6 has Calcium 2% listed on the label.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 01:35:53 AM »
For 3gal 7gal 15gal mango in ground...

1 square foot of sheetrock pounded to bits give/take each sound good?
I'll mix some with water & test pH too for fun.
What's mango & citrus' ultimate soil pH?  6?  6.5?  7?  I need target.
Ed

Sheet rock should not make a significant impact on soil pH, as it's near neutral.

Mangoes are less choosy compared to citrus, but both will do fine with a soil pH near 6.5.

If limestone exists as the bedrock with a thin layer of organic material on top as soil, then a more acidic topsoil will benefit the roots, as they will be in contact with a solid calcium source that just needs continual acidification to supply calcium.

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 05:39:41 AM »
Anyone tried Keyplex DP Blossom Formula.  It contains Calcium, Magnesium and Boron.  I just purchased a 2/1/2 gallon container of it to try on my mango trees as a foliar spray.  I decided to give it a go in conjunction with using the Keyplex 350.  To me, it might be a little more of a challenge because the directions do say to apply it "prior to bloom and no later than early pinhead bud stage".  I will probably have to mix small quantities as my trees are of different varieties that bloom at different times of the year.  But, I have heard some good things about Keyplex 350 so when I saw this, I figured it might be worth a shot. 

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 06:33:41 AM »
No news here.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:04:44 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 07:19:30 AM »
Thanks all for input.  My soil situation differs from others because i brought in so much topsoil to grade the area & water settled it.  Hard black earth is what i got for almost 6" before i hit sand.

Frog, i know i'm full of questions and your input for inputs & soil health is great.  Thought of you when a citrus grower friend told me they're experimenting with cows, letting them graze & poo sections at a time.

Next week i'll try to send soil sample out so we can see exactly what i got.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 07:39:09 AM »
I think Calcium Nitrate would be faster for the plants to absorb but it does not seem to be locally available near me at least.

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 07:44:18 AM »
No news here.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:03:56 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 08:10:41 AM »
I agree manure is great but some of the stuff in bags has a lot of salts in it.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 08:36:28 AM »

Depending on the type and how its composted, manure can be detrimental to mangoes
- Rob

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 09:07:27 AM »
I believe the application of elemental sulfur can speed up the conversion of the abundant calcium carbonate in our soil to calcium sulfate. It also makes available other minerals in the soil that would normally be bound and unavailable by lowering pH. The pH change is usually only temporary due to the high buffer capacity of our soils.  I apply Tiger90 sulfur pellets annually, 600lbs per acre for areas where soil pH is regularly in the high 7s or low 8s.
Brandon

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 09:22:03 AM »
I believe the application of elemental sulfur can speed up the conversion of the abundant calcium carbonate in our soil to calcium sulfate. It also makes available other minerals in the soil that would normally be bound and unavailable by lowering pH. The pH change is usually only temporary due to the high buffer capacity of our soils.  I apply Tiger90 sulfur pellets annually, 600lbs per acre for areas where soil pH is regularly in the high 7s or low 8s.

+1

Frog Valley Farm

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 09:30:46 AM »
No news here.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:03:21 AM by Frog Valley Farm »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 12:16:37 PM »

Depending on the type and how its composted, manure can be detrimental to mangoes
Any input applied with ignorance can be detrimental to Mangos and life in general.

As a user of manures and compost for fertilizing plants continuously for. Over 40 years.  To my knowledge I have never killed a plant or Mango tree with either.  I can think of ways this could happen.  You have to know your source for inputs and a knowledge of what real compost is.

THATS WHAT I SAID IF YOU WOULD TAKE YOUR KNOW IT ALL ORGANIC GLASSES OFF....
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 12:42:53 PM »
that's what I thought too.

can find conflict when even when you appear to agree.

Best stop arguing or I'm going to have to employ some couples/family therapy interventions on ya'll!

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 07:18:22 PM »
We all have our ways & reading text is horrible cause you can't hear chuckles or exchange words as if at a table.

Back to Ca & cow poo, my fear of cow poo (or any smelly ant friendly fert) is fire ants.  I've had mounds appear overnight, seen grapefruit tree from seed get covered by so many ants it looked like it was waving at me.  My 7gal fruit cocktail planted a few days ago must be sweet cause red friggin ants today were all around trunk, removing soil from roots, climbing up & on leaves.  I had to do something so i mixed bifenthrin 1/4 strength or less and sprayed base & trunk.

Ca i'll use sulfate or sheetrock, nitrogen in nitrate i'll avoid, cr90 sulfur i have & will sprinkle some around.  Hopefully ants avoid sulfur.

If i hadn't just planted 6 mangos, i imagine if i had tilled rows for trees with amendments that would be optimal, keeping surrounding ground firm for wheelchair.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 04:34:23 PM by EddieF »

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2020, 05:37:14 PM »
I really like using tanglefoot for ants/scale and it probably wards off some other creepy crawlies too. It’s definitely more work than pesticides but still not too bad.  I put it on all my trees in spring time when the ants start expanding their territory, just need to take it off or move it mid summer to let the bark breathe/expand.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2020, 07:02:04 PM »
I just googled it- cool.   Great for flying insects too.
The weak mix i sprayed yesterday is working hurray.  No ants on my new little mango trees.

Calcium sulfate- got 6lbs of pellets just to get ball rolling.  Apply tomorrow, sheetrock will be next venture.
I'll try hammering to powder or soaking some to get it absorbed quicker & spread the rest.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2020, 07:52:09 AM »
I get sheetrock from a builder friend ask when drywall installers are coming and speak to them only use new sheetrock scraps  not used or painted stuff and be aware the parts installed in garage has fungicidal substance you shouldn't use.
This is the rate I used for established trees I mulched over it then it disappeared. I used 2 square feet around new trees with no problems. Just mulch over it and it decomposes within a year no need to crush.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2020, 07:59:06 AM »
But, I have heard some good things about Keyplex 350 so when I saw this, I figured it might be worth a shot.

You probably heard that from me, been hawking it for years.

I apply boron (Solubor) to my avocados and mangos before onset of blossoms and gypsum to mangos whenever I remember.  Scraped it up from a road beside a gypsum plant.

You guys in limestone be careful.  You can apply too much Ca which will lock out other elements like K.  Check out the concept of nutrient antagonism.

Just because you read it here doesn't mean it's so for your unique situation.