Author Topic: My Changsha on own roots is blooming for the second year in a row!  (Read 2269 times)

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
I found three fruit on my y’all from-seed Changsha last November. Last week after removing the winter plastic from its frame, I noticed some flower buds. It’s been so warm this winter and spring with some highs in upper 70’s, I had to take down my plastic. We had a low of 35 Saturday, was supposed to get to 29 degrees F, but thank goodness I dodged that bullet. Supposed to get to 35 again this Wednesday. All my other citrus are budding out too.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: My Changsha on own roots is blooming for the second year in a row!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 08:36:06 AM »

eyeckr

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 09:36:42 AM »
Excellent work. Looks like you may get a bumper harvest this year.

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 12:01:52 PM »
Congrats! I always feel it is more special when a seed-grown plant flowers.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 04:17:09 PM »
I too like seed grown citrus that flowers and fruit.  I don't have a changsha but i do have a Meiwa kumquat

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 04:33:53 PM »
I noticed when Poncirusguy's seedling changsha finally reached maturity and fruited, the tree did not quit, or reduce the thorns.  Those are some vicious thorns.  I have an in ground mature grafted Saint Teresa lemon that is now almost 9-ft tall and is still producing big 1-inch thorns.  Also, Saint Teresa lemon is well know for the size of its leaves.  Many are  6 to 7 inches long and 4 - 5 inches wide.  Produces great lemons year around, with the largest fruit set in in the summer.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 01:59:14 PM by Millet »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 06:55:52 AM »
Poncirsguy, how old and how tall did your seedling Meiwa get before maturing enough to bloom? I have Meiwa on dragon but I’m always tempted to plant it’s seeds.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 04:51:11 PM »
I have 4 seed grown Meiwa kumquats.  one tree flowered in 16 months and matured fruit in 21 months with a leaf node count around 50-60.  The second tree flowered at 18 months and drooped its flower.  The third tree flowed about 17 months and drop its flowers and the fourth tree did not flower.  All trees were around a leaf node count of 50-70.  2.5 years old 2 of my kumquats flowered and 1 produce fruit around 36-38 months old.  The third one flowered with no fruit and the fourth one flowed with 1 fruit that got knock off in bringing the tree inside.  The trees filled out but I don't think any of them have a node count above 75.  They range from 2 to 2.5 feet tall at fruiting.  In total I got 30 fruits from tree 1 and 2 fruits from tree 2 the third year and 2 fruits from tree 1 in its second year.  My seed grown trees grow much better than my grafted Meiwa.  Plant the seed in sterile mix  They have a very hard time living to the first foot of growth.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 11:13:24 PM by poncirsguy »

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 07:44:50 PM »
Thanks poncirsguy! That’s great info!