Author Topic: mango seedling advice needed  (Read 1808 times)

mathmom

• USA, WA, Richland, 6b
    • View Profile
mango seedling advice needed
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:23:30 AM »
So, my first mango seedling just popped its head up today, and it sort of reminds me of a Truffula Tree from the Lorax.  :)  I just stuck the seed in a quart size yogurt container which is ridiculously small, but I do want to keep it potted, so I know I'll need to keep it somewhat pot-bound.  Now that the root (probably the taproot, I'm guessing) has found a drainage hole and wants to escape, I'm wondering how I manage this thing.  Do I encourage the root to circle the bottom of the pot by pushing it in, just let it get air pruned after escaping the bottom of the pot, or ??  I'm guessing this is an ongoing problem even when I pot up.  When will this thing be tough enough to handle transplanting? TIA

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: mango seedling advice needed
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »
I'm no expert, but I'm surprised that none of the experts on this forum have offered up any advice yet.
This reply should bump you back up to the top of the pile for a bit and maybe someone with container growing and repotting experience will come along.
There are lots of youtube videos out there on growing mangoes from seed - do a search and I'm sure you'll find lots of info.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:06:19 PM »
You can pretty much do anything with a newly sprouted mango seedling and it responds with minimal care.  It's always a good idea not let a mango, just like any plant/tree to get root bound.  Circling roots can be detrimental to the overall health oif the plant.  Other than these very limited guide lines, not much you can do to hurt a mango by the potting or repotting.  Over watering or root rot are more imprtant issues than when and when not to re-pot. Potting mixture break down can be another issue if the plant is in the same pot for an extended period of time. Otherwise, mangoes are pretty forgiving if kept warm and in good humidity.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »
Hi Mathmom,

Young mango plants are as tough as nails, in my opion ;) As long as you do it gently and the taproot isn't harmed, you won't have any problems :) Your mango plant is going to luv the extra space to spread and grow :) Good Luck ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk