Author Topic: Red Mango Leaf Veins  (Read 2128 times)

Louie

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
Red Mango Leaf Veins
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:59:05 PM »

Hi everyone, i saw this reddening of the veins of my Keitt mango tree.  I searched google and couldn't find anything but came across this forum.  Searched the forum and couldn't find this specific problem addressed.  I have been growing mangos for a few years now and have never seen this before.  I gave them a light fertilizer in late march but other than that no sprays or ferts.  Any help would be awesome.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Red Mango Leaf Veins
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 12:26:20 AM »
Do the mature leaves have that too? How old are the leaves in the picture.
Jeff  :-)

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:01:46 AM »
Maybe new leaves that haven't turned fully matured yet? I would check the soil ph as well. Maybe a bit of sulfur and chelated iron? Chris
-Chris

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 01:32:55 AM »
Are those all newer or older leaves? The veins look a bit yellowish with pale green in between the veins so you could be lacking some Nitrogen but Nitrogen is a mobile nutrient so the plant is able to pull Nitrogen from older leaves to give it to the younger leaves so it depends on what the old and new leaves look like.

It also looks like it's multiple symptoms because the purplish red color along the veins could be an indication of Magnesium deficiency but whenever it's multiple symptoms, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what nutrients are lacking due to masking effects and compounded symptoms.

In cases like this, it's best to foliar feed with something like Southern Ag Citrus nutritional spray, there are better micro/minor packages out there but I usually recommend this because it's easily found at Home Depot and is relatively cheap. I recommend foliar spraying because ground applications of fertilizer can cause nutrient lock and further exacerbate the issue.

Simon

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
In many plants, purplish or reddish color of leaves can be from Phosphorus deficiency, but I don't recall having heard that discussed about mangos.

Severe Magnesium deficiency usually produces a bright orange color, sometimes with scattered spots of red.  Early Magnesium deficiency shows interveinal chlorosis in the mid and tip areas of the leaf, while the base of the leaf remains green, often in a v-shape of green.
Har

Louie

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 10:38:37 AM »
Thanks for the help everyone.  This is only displaying on the newer leaves that flushed in late March and are hardening off right now.  The older leaves look normal and healthy.  This tree has Manila rootstock and i have a few different mango trees, including another keitt planted 20ft away and none have ever had this happening.  I will hit it with a foliar and see if it has an affect.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 01:54:21 AM »
Are those all newer or older leaves? The veins look a bit yellowish with pale green in between the veins so you could be lacking some Nitrogen but Nitrogen is a mobile nutrient so the plant is able to pull Nitrogen from older leaves to give it to the younger leaves so it depends on what the old and new leaves look like.

It also looks like it's multiple symptoms because the purplish red color along the veins could be an indication of Magnesium deficiency but whenever it's multiple symptoms, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what nutrients are lacking due to masking effects and compounded symptoms.

In cases like this, it's best to foliar feed with something like Southern Ag Citrus nutritional spray, there are better micro/minor packages out there but I usually recommend this because it's easily found at Home Depot and is relatively cheap. I recommend foliar spraying because ground applications of fertilizer can cause nutrient lock and further exacerbate the issue.

Simon

I am seeing this as well, looks like a combination of miner element deficiency.   notice the other leaves behind, they are curving back, and look a bit stunted.   
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "