Author Topic: Semi Dwarf Sweet Tart  (Read 1492 times)

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Semi Dwarf Sweet Tart
« on: March 12, 2020, 01:48:38 PM »
I saw an online seller offers a semi dwarf grafted Sweet Tart variety mango. Since i have been trying to get one, i am very tempted. I asked the seller where she get it from, she answered that she buys wholesale from Pine Island nursery. It us about 2-3 ft size for $189. My question is, i never heard of semi dwarf Sweet Tart. Forgive my foolishness, maybe I just not educated enough in the Mango world. Anybody can explain?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Semi Dwarf Sweet Tart
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 01:54:15 PM »

Sweet Tart is not a semi-dwarf tree. It is not the most vigorous variety, but does get big if you do not prune it. The flavor is excellent and the tree is a very good producer.

$189 for a 3 gallon tree is too much. In Florida, we get a tree that size for $40 or less.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 06:56:51 PM »
shenanigans!

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 07:18:13 PM »
Call Pine Island Nursery directly. If they do propagate a semi-dwarf Sweet Tart, they can ship you trees.

https://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/nursery-content-pineisland-17-title-have-a-retail-order-shipped
Brandon

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 07:28:04 PM »
I suspect a Fictional description on the part of the seller.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 10:54:27 PM »
PIN sells trees that size for 30 - 35 retail. Wholesale is cheaper. Pretty sure they do not sell Sweet Tart, and have never heard of a semi dwarf ST till this thread.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 07:32:36 AM »
I suspect a Fictional description on the part of the seller.

Checking around it is pretty common, for example, I see Top Tropicals calling Lancetilla mango "semi-dwarf".
Many are familiar with the term in deciduous fruit where a dwarfing rootstock is used so it is a marketing hype which is actually unethical.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 10:45:00 AM »
Julie is a dwarf tree.  Pickering is a semi-dwarf and a great tree and mango in every respect; I would plant it anywhere mangos grow.  Also, I was able to control the size of my Angie through frequent pruning.  Beyond those three I don't know.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 10:48:10 AM by johnb51 »
John

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 10:59:39 AM »
It’s BS. Grafted trees will grow significantly slower here in SoCal due to flowering for many months out of the year. The smaller the tree is when it is grown in our colder climate, the more stunted it’s growth will be because it will have significantly fewer leaves to photosynthesize during the few vegetative growing months we have, primarily June- August and slightly before or after.

For anyone growing mango trees in SoCal, get the most vigorous growth varieties or rootstocks that you can find. Non grafted seedlings are the best growers.

Simon

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 06:39:32 PM »
Thank you everyone for the valuable information and suggestion. I've decided to skip this seller and wait until i can find one with california rootstock or seedling. Thanks again!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk