Author Topic: Grove Security Questions  (Read 6370 times)

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Grove Security Questions
« on: August 26, 2014, 04:04:05 PM »
I border a busy gas station on Krome avenue that leads to many property encroachments.  I came home from a trip to find my mango tree emptied and today an avocado tree that had hundreds of avocadoes completely stripped.  Both trees are on the fence line to the gas station.

What legal options does one have to protect one's property from illegal entry such as razor wire, dogs, electric fence, other?  Obviously I'm also concerned about a trespasser suing me if he gets injured on my property.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Grove Security Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »
...how about a video surveillance system with signs on the very edge
of the property (the gas station) you are referring to....

Gary

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:13:49 PM »
Also don't plant the mango trees that produce large reddish or purplish  attractive fruits on your perimeter, near foot traffic etc. This is where you plant mango trees that produce smaller green mangoes that go yellow a day or two before ripeness. That can even be picked with a little yellow and brought inside to ripen. I practice this on my own property. Two examples would be Fairchild and Philippine

My Haden tree produces large colorful fruits and is the only one that gets stolen, a few here and there. It is near foot traffic.

You have some professional fruit rustlers taking your fruits. They are selling them

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 05:20:47 PM by zands »

PurpleAlligator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 05:17:37 PM »
Also don't plant the mango trees that produce large reddish or purplish  attractive fruits on your perimeter, near foot traffic etc. This is where you plant mango trees that produce smaller green mangoes that go yellow a day or two before ripeness. That can even be picked with a little yellow and brought inside to ripen

Two examples would be Fairchild and Philippine

Yeah I agree.  It came with the property and was the only mango tree in the grove in the worst possible spot out of 6 acres.  I'm planting 30 mango trees now that are well hidden.  In 4 years or so when the new ones are producing I can axe the original mango tree.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 05:27:55 PM »
Deer fencing, 8 foot fencing will stop pretty much any casual thief and marauding deer. Cyclone fencing would work but is tacky looking. Concertina wire is a good option as long as you have danger signs up you should be good. Obviously No Trespassing signs. In many states(if not all) poaching fruit is against the law, a sign to remind them of that would be helpful. You probably dont even need to fence the entire property line. Just do the visible areas facing the station and street. Most people are too lazy to wander around(that or they dont want to be cornered.)

PS, just noticed you are from my state, fruit poaching is very illegal. Just have to catch them is the tricky part.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 05:28:16 PM »
Yeah I agree.  It came with the property and was the only mango tree in the grove in the worst possible spot out of 6 acres.  I'm planting 30 mango trees now that are well hidden.  In 4 years or so when the new ones are producing I can axe the original mango tree.

Your grove is a commercial venture? Will be one when the mango trees start producing?

PurpleAlligator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 06:04:02 PM »

Your grove is a commercial venture? Will be one when the mango trees start producing?

First it is my primary residence that just happens to have a nice producing longan grove.  It was one of the things I liked about the property.  The bordering gas station was one of the negatives.  It's hard to find the exactly perfect place so I compromised on the gas station as a neighbor.  I'm 2 months in the place now and excited to be able to finally grow my own tropical fruit.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 09:57:28 PM »
A row of salak palms will sure keep everything out of your yard.  If you grow the right variety you also will get loads of nice fruits.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 11:27:45 PM »
I'd think some land mines, and shotgun traps spread around would deter it. Too bad.... too bad :-(

Regards,

Gary

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 12:44:03 AM »
...how about a video surveillance system with signs on the very edge
of the property (the gas station) you are referring to....

Gary
Yup, those werethe ones that did it.
I would guess that he wants something a little more preventive.
I'm a firmer believer in invisible fruit, can't steal what you do not know exists. In this case a privacy fence is the only option for invisible fruit, and that won't help for the current thieves that will most certainly return. Puppies and barbed wire atop a privacy fence sound good, and signs.
I

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 03:12:09 AM »
A row of salak palms will sure keep everything out of your yard.  If you grow the right variety you also will get loads of nice fruits.

Or peach palms,  those nasty looking needles will scare anyone. away.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

PurpleAlligator

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 08:19:41 AM »

I like it.  I've thought about thorny plants as an option. 

I spoke to the sheriff also and he suggested cameras, signs, and a higher fence.  With cameras they can find the culprits and prosecute.  He confirmed that someone scaling your fence to steal fruit is a felony. 

If the tree was not behind a fence it would not be a felony it seems. 

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 09:04:30 AM »

I like it.  I've thought about thorny plants as an option. 

I spoke to the sheriff also and he suggested cameras, signs, and a higher fence.  With cameras they can find the culprits and prosecute.  He confirmed that someone scaling your fence to steal fruit is a felony. 

If the tree was not behind a fence it would not be a felony it seems.

Make sure you post no tree passing on the fence, in 48 hours you are than Legally able to shoot once they over the fence and in your yard using the Florida Stand Your Ground Law.  Make sure to dig a large hole & have a bag of agriculture quick lime nearby. Death smell like Durian mix with can anchovy in soybean oil that can annoy even your most sympathizing neighbors; the lime make it Bangkok Lemon Jack overripe pleasant. The Corpse make excellent fertilizer for your fruit trees; also no need to bother the over work Authority on the matter; quick lime help get rid of smell so Jewish Grannies out walking their pamper pooch will not take notice to call someone more annoying than them to report their brooch canine smell a CSI moment in your back yard.  Perhaps raising Alligator in your back yard is better than quicklime approach.  You be amaze what I find in the stomach of a 12 foot alligator I tag last year; I swear it look humanoid, smell like a skunk ape.  The gator sausage was brilliant according to my wife Brit-sister in law.  My kins from Appalachia think the taste was better than gator feed on nutria and coon.
So dont get too mad, get even; fruit & wild game whether free range bipedal tree passing into your yard can offer the Jeff Daimler moment. Gosh I got to stop watching Dexter on Showtime and give you bad advices; you have to admit the show give us so many CSI way to get rid of unwanted pest; especially the bipedal type! If you watch their 96 episodes, I think you get a Degree in CSI from USF-Miami; and an excellent tool kit for getting rid of unwanted humanoid. Now can some one tell me how to get rid of my squirrel problem-they are worst! ;D
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »
Fruit theft in the Redlands is as common as Spanish. Just part of the deal, but fruit theft can occur anywhere in south fl. The best deterent are dogs but they are no match for a longhandled  fruit picker that can reach over a fence. But the incessant barking will help deter thieves who like to pick quietly in the night.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 11:33:32 AM »
If you want spikey defense, pick up some Agave. Worst spikey plant ever and if they chop it, it gets even worse with severe contact dermatitis. Realistically, a high deer fence is your safest bet. A dog can alert you to their presence but if you don't have a kennel in that corner odds are they will never know someone is there. 16 acres is a lot of area for a dog to patrol. Its hard to shoot someone if you don't know they are there, and even with the laws in your favor, good luck on shooting someone for stealing your fruit and getting away with it. The libtards would be all over you with how vicious you were in brutally shooting a poor man simply trying to get a piece of fruit from a tree to feed his poor family, they will ignore the facts of the case and you will lose instantly in the court of public opinion.

Criminals stealing fruit will be much less likely to enter your property if it is secured with a high fence, perhaps with concertina on the top. That and they would have a hard time justifying how they were injured on your fence in court. I cant think of any real other defense that would work in your current position. Its expensive but only a hardened bad guy is going to break through it. Perhaps some security cameras on that corner of the yard.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 03:27:47 AM »
Recently i saw a new product for sale against squirrels, it was a sensor who can detect them and if so then it opens a sprinklervalve so the sprinklers (that you hang in the tree) start spraying. Works also against humans i guess. Maybe you can even adapt that sensor to spray pepperspray.

Or the wireless hidden camera's that the american cops use in Moonshiners on discovery channel can get the thieves on video.

Or just a wireless alarm that wakes you up when they are picking your fruit. Or only some fake cams with signs that they will be filmed and shown to the police.

An electric fence that is used to keep cows in the field might also do the job. Some nests of weaver ants in the tree will work. Warning signs of a minefield will do. Spray something on the mango's that makes the thieves very itchy or will hurt their hands or color their hands, something like that temporary tatoo paint (henna).

Oh boy i m really getting into it now haha, they should steal my mango's and sure i will come up with a very original solution that they won't forget. I have camera's and security here but make my day and i will build something.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 02:51:32 PM »
Barbed wire :)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 05:06:44 PM »

Alexi

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 06:00:12 PM »
In Fargo they had Peter Stormare passing Steve Buscemi through a chipper-shredder. Lots of good ideas coming out of Hollywood...

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 07:49:45 PM »
Hey Tropical, where did you get that pic of me protecting my apple trees from deer?

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 08:59:12 PM »
lol Bing image results for "Sniper Camouflage".   
Alexi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk