Author Topic: Khasi Papeda  (Read 1822 times)

PDXIan

• USA, Portland, Oregon, 8a
    • View Profile
Khasi Papeda
« on: April 15, 2020, 12:01:51 PM »
Does anyone know much about the Khasi Papeda? I just got two cuttings from a tree growing in Portland. The guy got it from Oregon Exotics about 15 years ago. He said he uses the fruit like a lime.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Khasi Papeda
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 01:53:41 PM »
It is closely related to Ichang papeda, but it is not as hardy as Ichang papeda.

Here's an excerpt from an old article:
" This species [Ichang papeda] is cultivated in the vicinity of Ichang, and it bears a very large lemonlike fruit that is of sufficiently good quality to cause it to be shipped to markets several hundred miles distant.
In China this species occurs in an undoubted wild state in the hills of the Upper Yangtze Valley from Ichang west and southwest in Hupeh, Szechwan, and Kwichow, growing at altitudes of 1,500 to 6,000 feet. In Assam a closely related but slightly different form is found at an altitude of 5,000 to 6,000 feet in the Khasi Hills.
The species thus ranges over a region at least 1,500 miles long and some 500 miles wide. "

Journal of Agricultural Research, Department of Agriculture, Volume 1, Washington D.C., October 10, 1913
Citrus ichangensis, A promising, hardy, new species from Southwestern China and Assam, article by Walter T. Swingle

Apparently the natives in that area used the fruits as a form of insect repellent for their feet.
Most sources say the fruit is otherwise not used by the locals, but I do recall seeing one source that described a few culinary uses.
I would gather then that the fruits are/were probably not often used, but might have been used occasionally by some native tribes in some locations. Probably not great fruit quality.

In another study I saw, the fruits of Khasi papeda do not contain high levels of photosensitizing furanocoumarins like lime and lemon do, and the levels were lower than grapefruit.

That Khasi papeda would have a lime-like flavor is not surprising, because Khasi papeda is also related to (and its native growing range is not that far from) C. micrantha, which is basically the ancestor of limes (and has off-the-charts high levels of furanocoumarins, by the way).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 02:17:07 PM by SoCal2warm »

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 05:56:07 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swWi6VLE-Zc

" C. latipes - The fruit is bitter sour in taste and is not commonly consumed raw, but in Khasi villages of Laitjem and Sadew, fruits are eaten between meals as snacks, usually blended with finely cut tender leaves of mustard or radish, with excess of chillies and sugar and salt for taste. "

Utilization of wild Citrus by Khasi and Garo tribes of Meghalaya, Anamika Upadhaya, Shailendra Singh Chaturvedi, Brahm Kumar Tiwari
Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge, Vol 15 (1), January 2016
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/eacf/b2f6224793dd9426e5e1913be74a0df33e4d.pdf?_ga=2.249347399.1758338431.1587505394-1497904623.1562127569

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 06:10:25 PM »
I believe Fruit Trees and More may carry Khasi papeda, if any of you are in Canada.
The nursery is owned by Bob Duncan and is in North Saanich, British Columbia.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 01:43:23 PM »
Some years ago I got seeds from INRA Corse. Out of hundred seedlings non survived outside in opposite to Ichang Papeda seedlings.
There might be still some coming back from the roots this season but they are too cold sensitive for my climate.
I have a single plant in pot but it didn`t flower so far.

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 03:38:45 PM »
The area where Khasi papeda is indigenous to is in the equivalent of USDA climate zone 9b.

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 03:48:40 PM »
I am in zone 7 but not in the last years . This winter there were nearly no frost. Khasi Papeda died back anyway.

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 04:27:29 PM »
Today I found a living rootstock of the Khasi Papeda outside in the ground. Time will tell if it will resprout again...