Author Topic: Vietnamese Atemoya  (Read 21758 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Vietnamese Atemoya
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 08:01:52 PM »
Hi JF, any chance of getting a budwood of this baby?

Hi Belh

Mr Minh has been very stingy with his budwood he gave me 2 small piece and that has been distributed and grafted. I did not want to push it with him so you will have to wait till next year. Expect your second shipment of scion from me by Saturday. Here is a pic of my VA that I bought from Mr. Minh after I removed all the leave. New branches and leaves have emerge so I'm hoping the tree will double its size by this time next year,

JF

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 01:34:07 AM »
That's a fierce looking fruit, Joe.  Is that little tree the one he grafted and sold you?  Guess my chance of getting budwood is better through you.  Anyways, no hurry, I've been slow starting up my rootstocks. Maybe next season when your tree has some growth.
Tim

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »
That's a fierce looking fruit, Joe.  Is that little tree the one he grafted and sold you?  Guess my chance of getting budwood is better through you.  Anyways, no hurry, I've been slow starting up my rootstocks. Maybe next season when your tree has some growth.

yes, Tim it looks like an african tortoise. Mr.Minh told me to take it to my bedroom you can smell when its ready......a sweet smelling fruit, very unique taste also.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 10:37:05 PM »
Hello everyone
I had Mr. Minh's atemoya today what a treat it was! The fruit had unbelievable fragrant....fill the entire kitchen with a pleasant aroma ,  The texture was chewy, like most atemoya I have tried, but very juicy,sweet , refreshing, slightly grainy near the skin.  A custard lemony taste, not acidic, with few seeds . I've tried the VA last year but from the fridge this was special. Can' wait for my tree to grow up.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 10:24:35 PM »
I don't think you have enough pots to raise cherimoya root stocks, you might want to get some more going.
Tim

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 02:47:05 AM »
What a fantastic looking atemoya.Tropic sun is like a smaller more perfectly shaped version of it.Pinks mammoth is more irregular than the atemoyas pictured being less sugar apple like it is also smoother.Some pinks mammoth fruit,from particular lineages are also pretty big.My local farmers market called Rusty's sometimes has 5 or 6 pounders.Last year a whopper was on display that was bigger than a soccer ball and looked double the size of the usual prize specimens. 

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 05:39:15 AM »
There was a whopper at the market today - around 2.5kg. Seedling of mammoth. I've settled for a few around the 1kg mark. they are less gritty and dont have the woodiness at the core that the 1.5kg plus fruit can have. Here are a few ugly ducklings from today - all from mammoth seedlings.

Mike, I'm picking up my Tropic Sun tomorrow. Now its going into autumn I can pick it up at 30%off  ;D

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 05:53:42 AM »
BMc They look good and I bet they taste good too.I think the freak mammoth would have gone 5kg and there were loads of other big one there at the time.Soon enough we'll know if tropic sun lives up to the hype.Bunnings had a maroochy gold have you tried them before?

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 06:08:04 AM »
Yes - MG has decent fruit - have had a few. Looks like cross of AP and PM. Elongated like AP with bumps somewhere between the two. supposedly best suited to tropics. I've not seen many trees down here, but may be able to access some of the early plantings, as many varieties were trialled in home gardens here, and a number of forgotten trees provided by the govt are still in backyards fruiting their heads off. I dont know weather to chase MG, late gold and Island Gem, as these are soon going to be 'old hat'. Im still considering Bernitsky, although I know nothing about it other than its 'an exceptional fruit developed in Israel'. I'm hoping to get some info on a trip up to Birdwood about new varieties being mooted for home gardener release, including the red atemoyas crossed with ilama and others that growers have felt not ideally suited to the market that have come out of the recent breeding programs. That should help make my mind up!  ;D

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2012, 06:14:47 AM »
BMc I am saddled with the annona dregs at the outpost and you seem to be enjoying a rich annona bounty down there.No wonder my african pride and gefner attract laughter and ridicule.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »
Joe, very nice and healthy grafts growth there. The scions that I got from you are pushing now, the problem I have is my grafts are out on mature tree and weather is keeping dampness over the whole grafting experience. I am sure that 50% of scions have already pushed, no vigrous growth yet but it will soon. There are few other scions that are nice and green but no breakout from the parafilm.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2012, 01:40:01 AM »
Very Nice BMC, on my wish list now.....

From what I understand the Pinks were an inferior Atemoyas in Florida that's why they stop propagating that variety. I still like to get my hands on some scion so I can graft it on to my busy African Pride.
JF

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2012, 02:31:48 AM »
JF if it was found to be inferior the pinks might not be the same thing we know as pinks mammoth here.A few derivatives have pinks in the name but I thought these were pretty good.It takes longer to begin fruiting than other types and while I defend my african pride and gefner I know they are not champs.PM is sweeter,smoother with less 'sand' and has very pleasant flavours.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2012, 03:12:41 AM »
Very Nice BMC, on my wish list now.....

From what I understand the Pinks were an inferior Atemoyas in Florida that's why they stop propagating that variety. I still like to get my hands on some scion so I can graft it on to my busy African Pride.
JF

I have some scion wood available right now. If interested contact me off list.
BTW, i think Mike is right. I doubt what was tested in Florida was really Pink's Mammoth, because PM is amazingly good, much better and bigger in my opinion than any other atemyoa i've had. (The others i have are Page, African Pride.)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:37:46 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2012, 06:20:12 AM »
PM take longer to crop, set less fruit and need pollination a lot of the time. They are also a BIG tree. Not great for an uncommitted farmer or market.
AP was for a long time the easier of the atemoya to grow. Interestingly, farmers now complain about the Paxtons Prolific (KJ Pinks) because the thinning of self set fruits takes longer than pollination would take on the original mammoth.
There are a number of reasons why it would not be the variety of choice for industry, but not really based on quality.
As background, it was a selection made here in Brisbane (Bowen Hills) from seeds sent from Guyana of an unusually large fruited tree there.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2012, 06:42:01 AM »
PM take longer to crop, set less fruit and need pollination a lot of the time. They are also a BIG tree. Not great for an uncommitted farmer or market.
AP was for a long time the easier of the atemoya to grow. Interestingly, farmers now complain about the Paxtons Prolific (KJ Pinks) because the thinning of self set fruits takes longer than pollination would take on the original mammoth.
There are a number of reasons why it would not be the variety of choice for industry, but not really based on quality.
As background, it was a selection made here in Brisbane (Bowen Hills) from seeds sent from Guyana of an unusually large fruited tree there.

My Pink's Mammoth is setting fruit here without any hand pollination. So folks there are complaining about having to thin fruits on Paxton Prolific, and would rather have to hand pollinate?? Oh brother! I wish i had that "problem". Just goes to show you as much as you might try you can never please everyone!  ::)
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2012, 06:44:41 AM »
BMc that wouldn't be from 1893 and the four famous seeds that were mailed to Mr Pinks by any chance would it? It looks like the name custard apple for atemoya and sugar apple is pretty old and the 'netted custard apple' became bullocks heart.Does it look likle ICU intervention will rescue the BG's?

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2012, 06:55:32 AM »
Thats the one mike. The BGs look pretty sad, but with luck and decent night temps I should be able to salvage something. Thanks again. Hoping for some luck on the rambai front.
Oscar, they do set fruit on their own, but not as well as most others. PP is a giant leap in this regard (40% self set to 3-8% for older varieties). Refer to the image in this link for some idea: http://www.anfic.com.au/kjpinks.htm

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 01:34:25 PM »
Oscar,
I certainly have not seen Pink's Mammoth here in Florida.
Har

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2012, 02:58:26 AM »
JF, I think I recognize the front yard ground tiles and the way the branches are tied back onto the trees and the sapodillas. I went there with my parents a couple times but I don't know Vietnamese so I didn't understand a word they're saying. It was an old lady and then her husband didn't talk much.

They charge 2x the price of Papaya Tree for a tree 2/3 the size. Glad to hear that they're worth it. I've had bad experiences with atemoya fruits with disappointing taste.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2012, 10:37:17 AM »
JF, I think I recognize the front yard ground tiles and the way the branches are tied back onto the trees and the sapodillas. I went there with my parents a couple times but I don't know Vietnamese so I didn't understand a word they're saying. It was an old lady and then her husband didn't talk much.

They charge 2x the price of Papaya Tree for a tree 2/3 the size. Glad to hear that they're worth it. I've had bad experiences with atemoya fruits with disappointing taste.

Really, in Santa Ana? I did not notice any papaya trees around. I've tried 7 or 8 variety of Atemoya in Mr. Minh's house. I have an African Pride that fruited for the fist time last year. I like Atemoyas and Sugar Apples but they don't even come close to an average tasting Cherimoya. 

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »
I meant Papaya Tree Nursery :)

The front yard is really clean with those tiles everywhere. I wonder maybe atemoyas don't need mulching. My mom came home and did that to the lychees and longan as well. We'll see how well that clean garden thing works in a few years.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2012, 05:46:34 PM »
After talking to my vietnamese friends in Little Saigon......Found out Mr. Minh is pretty known for his atemoya. Unfortunately, he wasn't available.... it was a pleasure talking to his wife....

Hi Joe,
Papaya Tree Nursery.

Hi Dave

Glad you spoken with Mrs.Minh she's a sweetheart. They are well known in the Vietnamese community for propagating Atemoyas and Sapodillas but they are very suspicious of folks coming to their house because he has had fruit thieves clean him out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk