Author Topic: Vietnamese fig (Ficus auriculata?)  (Read 7740 times)

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Vietnamese fig (Ficus auriculata?)
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:52:40 PM »
I wanted to double check the  ID of this fig, it was purchased as 'Vietnamese fig' from Mimosa LA.  I'm curious if Ficus auriculata is the proper name and when do you harvest the fruit?

Thank you. 8)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Vietnamese fig (Ficus auriculata?)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »
Ethan,

Beautiful tree, really interesting. Something I may be interested in growing out. Keep us updated on the fruit quality. Congrats on the developing fruit.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 11:13:41 PM »
crazy!  foliage reminds me of grewia sp!

I hope you enjoy the fruits!! thanks for posting pics!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:47:39 PM »
Nice looking fruit, I haven't seen that before. The leaves are wider than other figs.

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 12:22:06 AM »
Hi Ethan, I think I have the same species. I bought a fig species from a place near west covina airport that had a fig that they just called vietnamese fig. I am sure its the same plant and it has those huge leaves but mine aren't variegated. I IDed it out and think it is a Ficus auriculata or Roxburgh fig. I have heard that the fruit are tasty but it is an obligate wasp pollinated fig of the species that is pollinated by the wasp Ceratosolen emarginatus. This is a cluster fig so once it gets started it will produce a lot of fruit. It might be possible to use one of the other fig wasp that are out there to pollinate it. I will have the same problem with my tree(once it starts producing fruit) but they are really pretty plants. The folage on yours is nice looking. Look at google images and they are super cool looking. I will see if I can find a photo of mine to compare.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:28:34 AM »
I don't think it's a Vietnamese fig, Ficus auriculata is the elephant ear fig or giant indian fig tree. On looking online, I found this site with lots of pictures
http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/Ficus_auriculata.htm

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 01:44:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

N/Z, I dont think it'll grow in FL. :) :P  Hopefully it may be propagated like regular figs.

Adam, yes definitely unique, foliage kinda reminds me of your unknown fig.

Newgen, I was thinking how nice this might look in the ground at a Vietnamese friend's house. ;D

Steven, thanks for the help, I dont think my leaves are variegated?  We'll have to compare and contrast when you get back.  Forgot to mention, the eye is probably big enough for me to use a paint brush for pollination.

Thanks Thao, that is the problem with common names of plants, hard to pin them down at first.

Hopefully the fruit tastes respectable.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 03:45:23 PM by Ethan »

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 04:21:46 PM »
Definitely let us know how that fruit tastes, and I'll see if your VN friend is interested. 8-))
 BTW, I will have access to a Totota Sienna van soon. I've used it in the past for hauling some stuff.  That big box of a vehicle is ideal for hauling potted plants. Let me know if you ever need to use it.

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »
I have my plant in a greenhouse so the leaves are probably growing even bigger than they would outside, some of the leaves were almost 2 feet across when I left.
This photo is from about 3 years ago of the plant. New growth is red. It was sold to me as vietnamese fig, so I think it might be the same. Though it doesn't have the cool color yours does (if its the same), it is still one of the prettier plants growing in there. The plant looks a bit different now than it did before and has gotten a lot bigger.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 06:57:48 PM »
I really like the freckles on your leaves!
One of the cooler looking figs for foliage - up there with Ficus dammaropsis.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 07:02:47 PM »
Looks like Ficus roxburghii.
Oscar

cgps

• general fruticulture
  • really, i am new always
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
    • agroengineer in progress
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 11:34:57 PM »
I don't think it's a Vietnamese fig, Ficus auriculata is the elephant ear fig or giant indian fig tree. On looking online, I found this site with lots of pictures
http://toptropicals.com/catalog/uid/Ficus_auriculata.htm
uuuyyhhh! this fig´s tree have figs even in the as...... base, is base hehe ;D
really, I like me have a fig as this!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 11:48:49 PM »
Cool Fig Ethan, if I'm not mistaken I think there is a tree downtown Santa Barbara on State street, if you ever find yourself there someday. 8)Fruits on trunk and limbs.

Jacob13

• Southern California - Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 08:55:20 AM »
Hello friends,

Cool looking tree Ethan. 

Scott, you beat me to the punch.  Being from Santa Barbara,  I can tell you that yes there is one of these trees on State Street.  If I remember correctly, it is at the corner of State and Figueroa streets on State Street. It is a large mature tree that almost always has fruit.  I have always been tempted to grab a few to try out but have yet to do it. Let us know how the fruit taste Ethan.

Jacob

Ethan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 10:12:25 AM »
Thanks for the offer NewGen.

Steven, I bet in the GH with diffused light that the leaves get huge and lush.  I strung up some shade cloth the other day so it'll be interesting to see if the new growth responds.

Thanks BMc, I had to google Ficus dammaropsis, wow what a beauty!

CGPS, the pictures of this tree are very impressive, fruit from head to toe!

Thanks Scott, I must have walked right by that thing a few times, next time I go, my eyes are peeled.

Thanks for the info Jacob, I'll check it out next time I'm there.  "Let us know how the fruit taste Ethan. "  With a mature tree just around the corner from you , it might be easier for you to let us know how the fruit tastes.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk