Author Topic: New Mango: Pineapple Pleasure  (Read 23976 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: New Mango: Pineapple Pleasure
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
I thought it was a pretty funny comment myself :-).

Dude! Looks to me like you stole the Zill label making machine.

I'm sure you are joking...but what an odd thing to say!

Funny, but not in a ha-ha kind of way.
Rob are you having a bad day? You seem like you are being unnecessarily confrontational! Chill pill or a martini needed?
Quote from: MarinFla on Today at 08:02:48 PM
Quote from: Cookie Monster on Today at 06:13:27 PM
in order of your questions, No; Not all all, just being honest; and single malt scotch or an ice cold cilled glass of silver bkue agave tequilla  ;) 8)
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 09:07:26 PM »

Until proven otherwise, I continue to believe my tree is the first "outside of a commercial nursery."  Please look at the wording of my post.  The bud wood likely came from Zill's facility in Costa Rica (a commercial nursery)....so I continue to believe that I am the first "outside a commercial nursery."

I bought the Zill tree based on Zill's reputation.  I would not expect Zill's to hit a homerun with every mango, but that on the average Zills would produce good trees.  I bought the Sunrise, coconut cream, Lemon Zest, Sunrise, Pina Colada, Sweet Tart and Pineapple Pleasure based on Zill's reputation.  Similarly, I bought the Mahachanok, NDM, and Carrie without tasting them...instead relying upon the suggestions of others.   I grew up in Hawaii eating Paris and Hayden mangoes...my varities should be an improvement.  I have ten varieties of mangoes and still have room to plant more.

All well an good but when are you going to put in a chicken tractor like SW Rancher. Your 30' mangoes are too spread out and need a mobile chicken coop in between them. Just saying.... and you are lucky to get my wisdom I usually charge for it  @$350 per hour.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:04:07 PM by zands »

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 09:14:41 PM »
Lol, just put the keyboard down man, just put the keyboard down. Maybe go to a mall or sporting event, beach maybe? Take a step back from the computer and maybe...

Mark nice tree, keep the pics coming. Its amazing how many trees you hace purchased recently, you have definitely gotten bit by the bug. I too bought a ross sapote off patrick and mine is growing very nicely.

Rob they make meds for this kind of thing.

_JoeP450

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 09:16:06 PM »
Until proven otherwise, I continue to believe my tree is the first "outside of a commercial nursery."  Please look at the wording of my post.  The bud wood likely came from Zill's facility in Costa Rica (a commercial nursery)....so I continue to believe that I am the first "outside a commercial nursery."

I bought the Zill tree based on Zill's reputation.  I would not expect Zill's to hit a homerun with every mango, but that on the average Zills would produce good trees.  I bought the Sunrise, coconut cream, Lemon Zest, Sunrise, Pina Colada, Sweet Tart and Pineapple Pleasure based on Zill's reputation.  Similarly, I bought the Mahachanok, NDM, and Carrie without tasting them...instead relying upon the suggestions of others.   I grew up in Hawaii eating Paris and Hayden mangoes...my varities should be an improvement.  I have ten varieties of mangoes and still have room to plant more.

All well an good but when are you going to put in a chicken tractor like SW Rancher. Your 30' mangoes are too spread out and need a mobile chicken coop in between them. Just saying.... and you are lucky to get my wisdom I usually charge for it  @$350 per hour.
Ok, this quoting thing has gotten out of hand a little..you are responding to a quote with my name as the author but none of the e quote was mine... ???
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:55:27 AM by murahilin »
- Rob

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 09:34:58 PM »
I am not trying to put you or your choices down, just to make you aware of Zills and their ways.  There are a handful on here that not only know how Zills operates but knows the family.  I am not knocking them either as some of their choices are outstanding...on the other hand, IN MY OPINION, some are duds and I would never think of planting them.  While I love almost all mangoes, with the numerous varieties available during each "season (early, mid, and late), some come up very disappointing or pretty bad when there are much better varieties available.

I understand that you, and man other go by recommendation when buying mangoes.  However, when doing this you should know the person and their tastes,  What one person like another may hate.  I have knowingly had all of the varieties Jeff listed above, with the exception of Lady's Choice, Ugly Betty and Juliette (I may have had Ugly Betty and Juliette but not familiar with their corresponding number...for those who don't know and without going into great detail, before Zills names one of their creations, they release the fruit with a number that identifies the tree it came from).  To me, Sweet Tart was awful, Sunrise was "ok", and Pina Colada ranged from outstanding to inedible.  The best were Coco Cream, Orange Sherbet, Lemon Zest and Harvest Moon.

Most of us are guilty of hyping certain varieties based on our knowledge of them.  I will be the first to push the Mahachanok as the best mango available.  Why, cause I have had a number of them and can vouch for just how good they are. I have also had a number of Coco Cream, OS, LZ HM and can also vouch for their quality though I will be honest in saying that none of them, TO ME, are better than the Mahachanok and my second fav would probably be Coco Cream.  Are these new Zill "designed" varieties the best out there, probably not the best but some of them are right up there.  Don't get caught up in the hype and overlook some of the superb "old" varieties such as Mallika, Duncan, Dot, NDM, Cushman, PPK, Edward, and Pickering just to name a few.

Since we are so close to the season this year, I would highly recommend tasting the different fruits to see what YOU like before you wind up wishing you had purchased variety A instead of variety B.

Rob:  Thanks, good advice.  If I find a variety I like better; I will plant it too.  Part of the reason I am planting so many varieties of trees without tasting them is because I am planning on applying for an agricultural exemption to reduce my property taxes.   I am thinking of doing a self-service honor system fruit stand like Harry.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 09:38:40 PM »
huh?

Dude! Looks to me like you stole the Zill label making machine.

I'm sure you are joking...but what an odd thing to say!

I was referring to the comment above.... Zands was probably Joking and it wasn't Rob who posted that anyway...I missed the connection..... but the follow up was a bit much
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 09:42:26 PM »
I am not trying to put you or your choices down, just to make you aware of Zills and their ways.  There are a handful on here that not only know how Zills operates but knows the family.  I am not knocking them either as some of their choices are outstanding...on the other hand, IN MY OPINION, some are duds and I would never think of planting them.  While I love almost all mangoes, with the numerous varieties available during each "season (early, mid, and late), some come up very disappointing or pretty bad when there are much better varieties available.

I understand that you, and man other go by recommendation when buying mangoes.  However, when doing this you should know the person and their tastes,  What one person like another may hate.  I have knowingly had all of the varieties Jeff listed above, with the exception of Lady's Choice, Ugly Betty and Juliette (I may have had Ugly Betty and Juliette but not familiar with their corresponding number...for those who don't know and without going into great detail, before Zills names one of their creations, they release the fruit with a number that identifies the tree it came from).  To me, Sweet Tart was awful, Sunrise was "ok", and Pina Colada ranged from outstanding to inedible.  The best were Coco Cream, Orange Sherbet, Lemon Zest and Harvest Moon.

Most of us are guilty of hyping certain varieties based on our knowledge of them.  I will be the first to push the Mahachanok as the best mango available.  Why, cause I have had a number of them and can vouch for just how good they are. I have also had a number of Coco Cream, OS, LZ HM and can also vouch for their quality though I will be honest in saying that none of them, TO ME, are better than the Mahachanok and my second fav would probably be Coco Cream.  Are these new Zill "designed" varieties the best out there, probably not the best but some of them are right up there.  Don't get caught up in the hype and overlook some of the superb "old" varieties such as Mallika, Duncan, Dot, NDM, Cushman, PPK, Edward, and Pickering just to name a few.

Since we are so close to the season this year, I would highly recommend tasting the different fruits to see what YOU like before you wind up wishing you had purchased variety A instead of variety B.

Rob:  Thanks, good advice.  If I find a variety I like better; I will plant it too.  Part of the reason I am planting so many varieties of trees without tasting them is because I am planning on applying for an agricultural exemption to reduce my property taxes.   I am thinking of doing a self-service honor system fruit stand like Harry.
Understood, but with over 100 varieties available your space could diminish quickly  ;D

As you are lucky to have the space, I would also add some more lychees (and search out different varieties that will produce well here).  Also, have you added any jackfruit, longans, mameys, atemoya, persimmon, carambola, citrus (tangerine, lemon, lime, kumquat) ?  All good choices to help fill up your space and help with your exemption requirements.

Edit:  Don't forget to add bananas.  Visit Excalibur or for a huge selection, make the trip to Going Bananas.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:01:12 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »
Lol, just put the keyboard down man, just put the keyboard down. Maybe go to a mall or sporting event, beach maybe? Take a step back from the computer and maybe...

Mark nice tree, keep the pics coming. Its amazing how many trees you hace purchased recently, you have definitely gotten bit by the bug. I too bought a ross sapote off patrick and mine is growing very nicely.

Rob they make meds for this kind of thing.

_JoeP450
poof
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 10:11:10 PM »
BSB ullie.....   ignore the passive aggressive pygmies like Joe up there. All your comments are good and appreciated  and maybe even silver or golden. You impart very good intel and the couch potatoes sometimes don't appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:17:05 PM by zands »

natsgarden123

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 10:16:19 PM »
Just One More Comment: 

Mark-if you want to learn an amazing amount of info and if you want to taste many types of mangos/tropical fruits,
then visit Excalibur.  Richard and Linda are extremely nice and they are experts.

Excalibur has hundreds of varieties( maybe over a thousand, I'm not sure). Why not take advantage of the opportunity to see and learn.   I suspect that you will stop buying mango trees to make room for other exotic and delicious fruit trees like Sapodilla, Jakfruit and Longan.  You also may taste a mango which you "must have." Maybe it will be an old variety like Valencia Pride ( Delish in my opinion).   

Its great to post that you are the first to plant a tree, but its even better to post that you are the first one to taste its fruit!

:)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 10:39:28 PM »
BSB ullie.....   ignore the passive aggressive pygmies like Joe up there. All your comments are good and appreciated  and maybe even silver or golden. You impart very good intel and the couch potatoes sometimes don't appreciate it.
Gracias  :)
- Rob

natsgarden123

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »
Richard and Linda Thompson  (thanks Natalie) in honor of Excalibur (King Arthur's Sword) Nursery in Lake Worth where me dad  (mother too) is buried in the recent opened US military cemetery there

Richard & Linda Thompson - A Heart Needs A Home

Sarcasm?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »
Richard and Linda Thompson  (thanks Natalie) in honor of Excalibur (King Arthur's Sword) Nursery in Lake Worth where me dad  (mother too) is buried in the recent opened US military cemetery there

Richard & Linda Thompson - A Heart Needs A Home

Sarcasm?

Not at all just a good video...... from lets say 1978 or so in England. Is that so long ago?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 05:37:18 AM »
  I grew up in Hawaii eating Paris and Hayden mangoes...my varities should be an improvement.  I have ten varieties of mangoes and still have room to plant more.

I think you must have meant Pirie mango or White Pirie, as Paris is not a common cultivar here? I've never tasted it.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2012, 05:41:30 AM »
:o Wow. I wonder how this mango tastes. :) Don't say "like pineapple". lol  I wonder how this differs from "pina" colada when it comes to taste.  What soil are you using?

Pineapple pleasure is the non-alcoholic version of Pina Colada? Specially designed for the teetotallers in Florida? You guys in Florida sure are creative with the names! Seems like soon you will be running out of bar tender favorite names.  ;)
Oscar

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »
  I grew up in Hawaii eating Paris and Hayden mangoes...my varities should be an improvement.  I have ten varieties of mangoes and still have room to plant more.

I think you must have meant Pirie mango or White Pirie, as Paris is not a common cultivar here? I've never tasted it.

Yes, white pirie.  Mistaken spelling based on a poster I saw of mangos in Hawaii.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 11:24:01 AM »
HAHAHAHAHA Yah, I bet Gary was grasping for names after the 10th or 11th one :-).

:o Wow. I wonder how this mango tastes. :) Don't say "like pineapple". lol  I wonder how this differs from "pina" colada when it comes to taste.  What soil are you using?

Pineapple pleasure is the non-alcoholic version of Pina Colada? Specially designed for the teetotallers in Florida? You guys in Florida sure are creative with the names! Seems like soon you will be running out of bar tender favorite names.  ;)

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 12:38:21 PM »
HAHAHAHAHA Yah, I bet Gary was grasping for names after the 10th or 11th one :-).

I much prefer the names that don't suggest anything about the mango's flavor like Jakarta, Julie, Carrie, Neelam, Bombay, etc.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »

I much prefer the names that don't suggest anything about the mango's flavor like Jakarta, Julie, Carrie, Neelam, Bombay, etc.
Agreed as it doesn't leave any expectations from purchasers.  "old fashioned" names allows the taster/buyer to anaylize the mango on their on tastes/merits and not what they are expecting it to be based on a name.
- Rob

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2012, 02:02:36 PM »
In agreement with ordinary names ... though the newer ones are catchy ;D
We all know with different growing condition yields differing tasting fruits, even of the same cultivar.  There was a study done on this in Australia for the R2E2, or was it KP, I can't seem to remember exactly. 

So for all we know, Pineapple Pleasure could turn out tasting like bananas or Lemon Zest could be Dekopon Zest for California growers.  Heck, for any tree out side of Zills original tree   ;D ;D ;D
Tim

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2012, 02:12:50 PM »
I think they were thinking about easy pot labeling.. LZ, CC, PP, HM.....

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2012, 02:19:14 PM »
In agreement with ordinary names ... though the newer ones are catchy ;D
We all know with different growing condition yields differing tasting fruits, even of the same cultivar.  There was a study done on this in Australia for the R2E2, or was it KP, I can't seem to remember exactly. 

So for all we know, Pineapple Pleasure could turn out tasting like bananas or Lemon Zest could be Dekopon Zest for California growers.  Heck, for any tree out side of Zills original tree   ;D ;D ;D

I think it was done with KP. The story I was told(IIRC) was that they went around Australia and collected various KP's that had different growth habits, flavors and different looking fruits and brought them all to one location and when they grew them they all ended up being the same. It really showed the variation that can be caused by soil and microclimates.

natsgarden123

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2012, 02:33:14 PM »
I think they were thinking about easy pot labeling.. LZ, CC, PP, HM.....

that makes sense.... Harvest Moon is a great name which doesn't give any taste expectation

They have to name the mangoes something... nothing wrong with being creative. I really want to know what Ugly Betty's taste is going to be compared to... ???

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »
Mark, congrats on your new mango tree.   :)   Keep us posted on this new cultivar.
Adiel

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2012, 02:50:28 PM »
Yah, the problem is that the name suggests something that may be unappealing to some customers. For example, the name 'Lemon Zest' has scared away those folks who think that the mango is going to have a sharp lemony tart to it (totally untrue). I've had a hard time trying to convince customers otherwise. A 'neutral' name like 'Pickering' is better, as it is free from mental associations.

My take is - the Zill's are strong on mango propagation, selection, and cultivation (probably #1 in the U.S.) but not so strong on the marketing side. Pine Island, on the other hand, is strong on marketing. Marketing brings in first time customers. High quality product keeps the customers returning.