Author Topic: mouth-watering achachairu article  (Read 23300 times)

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
mouth-watering achachairu article
« on: March 16, 2012, 08:26:34 PM »
I cannot wait to get a taste of achachairu! They look so yummy.

http://www.amazonia.bo/amazonia_bo.php?id_contenido=288&opcion=detalle_des

(use google translate if needed).

Without starting a new (old) topic, I just noticed that as I was reading more about achachairu it seems like the name Garcinia humilis is becoming more and more common for achachairu. Oscar, is this the kind of achachairu you grow on the picture on that page?

Tomas

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: mouth-watering achachairu article
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »
Tomas
I agree these fruits are amazing and they need to be widely planted. I first tried them in Puerto Rico and now I have 2 trees ready to go in the ground. 
FGM

FloridaGreenMan

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:14:07 PM »
I thought they were an okay tasting fruit. The only Garcinia that I've had that I really like is the mangosteen. I've had about 6 or so others and they were all just okay. Maybe if I could find an achachairu with more flesh I would like it more. The tree in the Whitman pavilion is fruiting right now. Fruits are about the size of a dime at the moment.

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »
About a month ago I called several nurseries looking for this tree.  Called it achachairu, achacha and no one seemed to know what I was talking about.  I gave up, but if anyone knows where I can find one please let me know.  There are some great YouTube videos on this fruit, this is also another mouthwatering article (eventhough I never tried this fruit).

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:35:25 PM »
About a month ago I called several nurseries looking for this tree.  Called it achachairu, achacha and no one seemed to know what I was talking about.  I gave up, but if anyone knows where I can find one please let me know.  There are some great YouTube videos on this fruit, this is also another mouthwatering article (eventhough I never tried this fruit).

I don't know of any nurseries with it for sale in S FL. Excalibur has one grafted tree in the greenhouse but I don't think they will sell it yet. Maybe in a few years after they get a few more going.

I think some of the members may have some seedlings for sale. Try creating a topic in the buy, sell, trade forum.

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 10:48:08 PM »

I don't know of any nurseries with it for sale in S FL. Excalibur has one grafted tree in the greenhouse but I don't think they will sell it yet. Maybe in a few years after they get a few more going.

I think some of the members may have some seedlings for sale. Try creating a topic in the buy, sell, trade forum.

Excalibur was actually my first call, and indeed no achacha for sale.
But will create a thread thanks for the suggestion, didn't think of that before.
And the search begins again lol!!!

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 11:14:59 PM »
I have heard or read that the achacha variety from Santa Cruz area is supposed to be superior to the others. I even think Santa Cruz has a festival to celebrate this fruit.

Tomas

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 11:51:40 PM »
I cannot wait to get a taste of achachairu! They look so yummy.

http://www.amazonia.bo/amazonia_bo.php?id_contenido=288&opcion=detalle_des

(use google translate if needed).

Without starting a new (old) topic, I just noticed that as I was reading more about achachairu it seems like the name Garcinia humilis is becoming more and more common for achachairu. Oscar, is this the kind of achachairu you grow on the picture on that page?

Tomas

Some of the people in Bolivia are calling this achachairu Garcinia humilis (syn. Rheedia lateriflora). But if you look up that species it originates in the Carribean, and that fruit looks different, and is not so good to eat, so that name is wrong. Then in the book on Little Known Fruits of Puerto Rico they call it Garcinia brasilensis, also wrong because that is a fruit that originates obviously in Brazil, not Bolivia, and is much smaller and rounder.  (Achachairu is practically unknown still in Brazil.) Then in the Lorenzi book he calls it Rheedia laterifolia. Lorenzi was just following the lead of a botanist from Boliva who in his book Wild Fruits of Santa Cruz, calls it Rheedia laterifolia. Problem with this name is it doesn't exist, was never registered. It is a typo, should have been Rheedia lateriflora, which is now Garcinia humilis, so we're back to square one. So proper name for now is Garcinia sp.
Like i said before, this fruit is quite good, especially from a marketing point of view: stores very well, produces when young, heavy producer, but is not as good tasting as mangosteen. Also the seed to pulp ratio is not so good, seeds are quite large. Still definitely worth growing.
Oscar
Oscar

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 11:58:10 PM »
Montoso Gardens has achachairu seedlings for sale.  I thought about buying one since I've heard it does well in SoCal

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 12:01:59 AM »
This fruit could go mainstream if and when enough advertising to promote it ever happened. The Aussies who planted a very large grove of this fruit have the right idea. Check out this Australian flashy advertising:
Achacha - The Chase
Oscar
Oscar

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 06:34:27 AM »
They are fantastic. Better in dry years. Seeds grow super easy. I got a 10kg box at the end of last season and now have a few hundred seedlings that i give to anyone with a few feet of dirt. They also come up easily out of the compost, volunteering themselves about the yard, in partial rain shadows even. Hard sun destroys them though. One of the research stations here were looking into breeding for better flesh-seed ratio.

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 12:01:04 PM »
That's an awesome video, thanks for sharing.  That's a superbowl worthy commercial, now we'd just have to get everyone on board with good fruits  ;D
Tim

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 05:07:47 PM »

Is anybody growing them in the Subtropics? I really want to give them try here!

@Oscar, the vid you posted is AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing ;D ;D ;D

I also found a vid on Achachairú!
 Achacha Fruit Tree Tropical Fruit DaleysFruit.com.au

A year ago I read what Achachairú meant in some site!, But, I can't recall the name! kiss of an angel??? something with ''kiss''
Does anyone know???

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »

A year ago I read what Achachairú meant in some site!, But, I can't recall the name! kiss of an angel??? something with ''kiss''
Does anyone know???

Hi Steve, this fruit achachairu is not strictly a tropical fruit. I would call it a subtropical because it is native to foothills of the Andes at a couple thousand feet. So yes should do well in Madeira. But i think this plant is adaptable and can also grow in lowlands. It's a pretty tough plant. Not so delicate as its very distant cousing the mangosteen.
Oscar
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 06:09:33 PM »

Does anyone know???

Hi Steve, this fruit achachairu is not strictly a tropical fruit. I would call it a subtropical because it is native to foothills of the Andes at a couple thousand feet. So yes should do well in Madeira. But i think this plant is adaptable and can also grow in lowlands. It's a pretty tough plant. Not so delicate as its very distant cousing the mangosteen.
Oscar

Hi Oscar :),
That really sounds great! My Grandmother's property is located in Calheta where the climate rarely drops below 13ºc(56ºf), which is good to grow some tropical fruit tree's :)
This year I'm going to plant some Jackfruit trees there! And I hope in a few year's time they will produce some fruit for me ;D ;D ;D

BTW, I have tried to germinate mangosteen seeds from fruit's I bought at the local super market!  with no luck :( :( :(

Thanks Oscar, I will definitely give them a try!  :)

Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »

Does anyone know???

Oscar

That really sounds great! My Grandmother's property is located in Calheta where the climate rarely drops below 13ºc(56ºf), which is good to grow some tropical fruit tree's :)
This year I'm going to plant some Jackfruit trees there! And I hope in a few year's time they will produce some fruit for me ;D ;D ;D

BTW, I have tried to germinate mangosteen seeds from fruit's I bought at the local super market!  with no luck :( :( :(

The mangosteen seeds you are buying probably are irradiated, which means that the seeds are sterile. I do sell mangosteen seeds, guaranteed viable, but only have them in July. I don't think mangosteen will fruit there, unless you maintain it inside a heated and humidified greenhouse.
Oscar
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 07:25:18 AM »

Does anyone know???

Oscar

The mangosteen seeds you are buying probably are irradiated, which means that the seeds are sterile. I do sell mangosteen seeds, guaranteed viable, but only have them in July. I don't think mangosteen will fruit there, unless you maintain it inside a heated and humidified greenhouse.
Oscar

I will maybe give them another go! And yes, I will get them from you  ;) ;) ;)
Steven S.
Time is like a river.

siafu

• 10a, Algarve, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 08:00:59 AM »

Hi Steven,

Achachairu is very adaptable. I have several plants.
One has been growing outside for 4 years and does not show any damage from winter.
If it does this well in Algarve, it will grow to perfection in Madeira.

You should also try to get some Luc's mexican garcinia seeds. People that have tasted
both, say it's even better than Achachairu!
Sérgio Duarte
Algarve, Portugal

--Vale sempre a pena, quando a alma não é pequena!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 11:00:10 AM »

Hi Steven,

Achachairu is very adaptable. I have several plants.
One has been growing outside for 4 years and does not show any damage from winter.
If it does this well in Algarve, it will grow to perfection in Madeira.

You should also try to get some Luc's mexican garcinia seeds. People that have tasted
both, say it's even better than Achachairu!

Hi Sérgio,

That's great! I'm really surprised to hear that your tree is doing very well In Algarve! I'm going to grow them here!

I checked out Luc's mexican garcinias and they are really large compared to the Achachairú!
Time is like a river.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 05:01:06 PM »
Hi :),
I found out what Achachairú means! It's ''Honey Kiss''  ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »

I heard that also as the translation. I wonder if it's really the correct translation or another advertisement ploy? Certainly not sweet like honey. This is not a spanish word, it is in the local Quechua? aboriginal language. It has some other common names in Bolivia in other indigenous dialects: Shashairu, Pacuri, Ibaguazu, Cachicheruqui, Tapacuari, Tiquidea.
Here is some more information on this fruit from the book Wild Fruits of Santa Cruz (Bolivia) by Roberto Vasquez. this is my abridged translation from the Spanish:
"Tree 7-12 meters tall. trunk diameter 30-40 cm...with male and female and small amount of hermaphrodite flowers... The achachairu grows to an altitude of 600 meters, in soils with abundant organic matter. It prefers to live in association with other trees to benefit from their shade.. Apparently there has been an attempt to domesticate this species both by the indigenous inhabitants as well as the Spanish colonizers. With all the work done of selection it is still in the beginning stages and it is very important to promote more investigation to improve and obtain new varieties. The achachairu has the best possible qualities with which it can become a fruit of high economic potential.
USES: The achachairu is one of the fruits most appreciated by the inhabitants of western Bolivia. It is used in its natural state and has the reputation of a digestive aid and a natural fountain of vitamins. With the rind a drink is made that is very refreshing. With the rind processed in a blender a very refreshing drink is also made, though the taste is a bit astringent. In actuality all the production is taken to markets and sales distribution centers and all eaten within a very few days."
Oscar

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:39:40 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 04:23:58 PM »

I heard that also as the translation. I wonder if it's really the correct translation or another advertisement ploy? Certainly not sweet like honey. This is not a spanish word, it is in the local Quechua? aboriginal language. It has some other common names in Bolivia in other indigenous dialects: Shashairu, Pacuri, Ibaguazu, Cachicheruqui, Tapacuari, Tiquidea.
Here is some more information on this fruit from the book Wild Fruits of Santa Cruz (Bolivia) by Roberto Vasquez. this is my abridged translation from the Spanish:
"Tree 7-12 meters tall. trunk diameter 30-40 cm...with male and female and small amount of hermaphrodite flowers... The achachairu grows to an altitude of 600 meters, in soils with abundant organic matter. It prefers to live in association with other trees to benefit from their shade.. Apparently there has been an attempt to domesticate this species both by the indigenous inhabitants as well as the Spanish colonizers. With all the work done of selection it is still in the beginning stages and it is very important to promote more investigation to improve and obtain new varieties. The achachairu has the best possible qualities with which it can become a fruit of high economic potential.
USES: The achachairu is one of the fruits most appreciated by the inhabitants of western Bolivia. It is used in its natural state and has the reputation of a digestive aid and a natural fountain of vitamins. With the rind a drink is made that is very refreshing. With the rind processed in a blender a very refreshing drink is also made, though the taste is a bit astringent. In actuality all the production is taken to markets and sales distribution centers and all eaten within a very few days."
Oscar

I definitely agree with you that Achachairu is not a Spanish work!, I never knew that there were so many native names for this fruit!,
The only name i know besides the ''Achachairú is pacuri!

Thanks for the Awesome info on the Achachairú! I will do some more research on this fruit!
Hopefully, One of these days there will be varieties with high flesh to seed ratio! ;D ;D ;D
Steven S.
Time is like a river.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 05:13:51 PM »
Is it possible to order this fruit to be shipped to CA? would love to try some out.
Thanks,

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 12:39:32 AM »
Here is anotehr article on how to use the fruit.
They are also getting big for using in cocktails and there is a killer jam/jelly made out of them.
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/five-ways-with-achacha-20120211-1svqj.html

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 01:01:32 AM »
It's a nice fruit, but i certainly wouldn't walk a mile for them, or risk being shot at by conquistadors with musket guns to get them.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk