Author Topic: My Long Island Garden:  (Read 11451 times)

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: My Garden:
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 11:48:48 AM »
I am in Times Square right now in vacation, at what time is winter vacation for kids in New York? I went to China Town earlier today too and what a blizzard.

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 12:10:15 PM »
Beautiful winter scenery, PL. So serene.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 12:59:18 PM »
I am in Times Square right now in vacation, at what time is winter vacation for kids in New York? I went to China Town earlier today too and what a blizzard.

I don't really know if there is a set time for winter vacation but for my school it was from the 23 to the first, coming back to school on a THURSDAY (jan. 2nd). Then, friday, today, got cancelled because of snow. Which means that one day has now been cut from our april vacation, making us have to come back on a FRIDAY. ughh.

Beautiful winter scenery, PL. So serene.

Not anymore  :D. I actually took that picture right before all the cleaning work began, so now everything has that typical dirty snow look with awkwad parches of ice and slush and salt. Ah well. That's snow for ya. :)

omarudy

• Miami, FL Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 01:21:30 PM »
Oh ok in Miami we have 2 weeks of vacation for winter. And yeah it is brown slush everywhere.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 09:51:05 PM »
Well, the long, hard winter is over and I survived all the excessive snow we had this year. Some of my plants, however, did not. I lost a few plants, mostly seedlings, as the Makok sapodilla tree (which really pissed me off. I was looking forward to watching that grow.) However, the Pickering has done really great and so has the meyer lemon. I will have pics tomorrow as I'm finally done catching up on sleep lost due to the SAT IIs.  ::).

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 10:57:57 PM »
Not anymore. the Lawn Guys thought it would be a great idea to blast all the plants with the air blower thingy. The top half of the banana snapped off. Some of my other plants suffered severe damage. they are inside now, but my outdoor plants are a bit more, tilted, than in the photos.

The Lawn guys also ruined my watermelon, okra, eggplant, tomato....

There's a reason why lawn guys stay lawn guys...

Regards,

Gary

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 11:19:02 PM »
WOW, you've got a lot of seedlings happening best of luck growing those guys up!

plantlover13

• View Profile
Re: My Long Island Garden:
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 08:54:38 PM »
Alright, so I have some pics of my outdoor plants. All of these will be going into root pouches with some new soil in a couple of days, once school ends (tommorow!) the the bulk of my finals are over.

First a sad looking Kona Sugarloaf pineapple I bought online last year. I will definitely get to work un-uglifying it. Any tips?:

Much happier is my Meyer lemon from Hicks, which has lots of new growth, blooms, and fruit!

My Pickering mango from PIN is doing amazing! unlike my makok sapodilla which is dead. But the mango has survived and is doing wonderfully:

I have three bananas, a Dwarf Red, Double Mahoi (cavendish), and an unknown which is much taller than me right now.

Dwarf Red:

Double:

And Unknown (with other banana for size. Also, I finally got to say "with banana for size," I can check that off my bucket list now  ;D)

You can see the dead sapodilla and hibiscus in the pic with the unknown banana.

A couple tropical non-fruiters:

Curry Leaf! Absolute must for Indian cuisine:

And Plumeria I got when I was in Hawaii a couple years ago that still hasn't bloomed:

Enjoy! I'll try to get pics of seedlings soon.

Also, on a quick side note, I will be more or less taking charge of my high school's garden next year, cementing my place as "that crazy garden guy." W/e. Well, I made a website for our school garden (mostly because iI was bored and needed something to do because there's only so much studying one can do at a time). It's URL is:

www.herrickshighschoolgarden.webs.com

And is currently a work in progress (like everything is "coming soon" or "unfinished.") I would appreciate it if you guys would take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks!

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2014, 04:07:38 PM »
I just got a bunch of root pouches and some new potting soil (was using garden soil). Gonna pot them up over the weekend.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2014, 07:55:08 PM »
First thing first. Are these flower buds on my Pickering?

And now for some more pics.

Pickering, Lemon, and Plumeria in Root Pouches:

Folded root pouches:

Up close pic of some lemon fruit:

Just the lemon:

Plumeria:

Seedlings:

Thanks for reading! And I'm really curious about the mango.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 01:06:19 PM by plantlover13 »

OCchris

• Old Towne, Orange, CA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2014, 02:30:01 AM »
Bravo PL! You're doing a yeoman's job. This plant stuff is a marathon..not a sprint (so I'm figuring out). Even though you have a tough climate for tropical's, at least you don't have to worry about citrus leaf miner (as we do in California...and they make your citrus look like 'S').  Keep up the great work~Good luck.  Chris

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2014, 02:35:06 AM »
Congrats on the Pickering. Some advice on the container collection. Make sure to not over collect, and focus on fewer plants that produce rather then abundance of plants. When the time comes with packing up and moving the plants to a new home etc., it will make it much easier with a smaller collection.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2014, 04:41:14 AM »
Congrats on the Pickering. Some advice on the container collection. Make sure to not over collect, and focus on fewer plants that produce rather then abundance of plants. When the time comes with packing up and moving the plants to a new home etc., it will make it much easier with a smaller collection.
Great collection plantlover! Really pushing the limits of what can be grown seeing banana plants in an area that snows is really cool, you can have a tropical gardening summer then pack it all inside for winter. I'm in a similar situation but not as cold winters as you! If your collection is like this now I can only imagine in a few years:)

That may be good advice Nullzero to stay smaller so care is less divided etc but in practice very hard to resisst the "just one more" feeling. It's like you know you don't have any room but you convinced you can make a space:P
Take the pure joy of gardening, the fanaticism of collecting and add to that, your collection may reward you with something we are primarily geared to love. That's a recipe for obsession if ever I saw one! Just possession of a interesting and rare fruiting plant is a thrill for some of us even if there's a very low chance of fruiting

I wonder if temporarily making bonsais of plants will adversely effect them when you one day pot up?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2014, 08:51:07 AM »
Most likely if i move not many if any of these will come with, so it doesn't really matter so much.

So can i get confirmation on flower buds?

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2014, 09:08:50 AM »
Yes PL they look like buds! And very nice website for your school! Keep up the good work!
Joe

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »
Yes PL they look like buds! And very nice website for your school! Keep up the good work!

That's good to hear! I can't wait. And thanks about the website! It's pretty unfinished right now but after finals I'll get to work putting everything in.

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2014, 11:06:53 AM »
More pics!

The mango is clearly blooming now! hooray!

Lemon tree is still blooming strong:

And mulberries! I never realized that ll of these trees were mulberries! So many mulberries everywhere!

Honeysuckle is also going crazy around here.

So a few questions.

Would it be worth it to get a "day" avocado from logees? Meaning, would i actually get some fruit that's at least decent?

Jim Little Plumeria, what happened to the website?

And,

What can i expect from a seed grown pomegranate?

Thanks!!

plantlover13

• View Profile
Re: My Long Island Garden: growing great and some fruit is setting!
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2014, 01:05:38 PM »
Well, July is coming to an end so here is an update of my garden:

Picture of outside tropicals:

Mamey seedling:

Double Mahoi banana:

Red Dwarf banana:

Pickering mango. Fruiting!:

Fruits:

Plumeria just for fun (vera cruz rose):

Cherimoya seedlings:

Curry Leaf Tree (sending up a sucker):

Lemon Tree (meyer, fruiting)

Fruit:

Jackfruit seedling:

Seedlings (indoors):

Lemon Drop Mangosteem:

Rainforest PLum:

Papaya (not doing so well):

Guava:

Longan:

Dragonfruit:

Pomegranate:

So everything seems to be doing pretty OK! I'm really crossing my fingers with the mango. Thanks for reading!

Qoppa

• Wake Forest, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2014, 05:32:36 PM »
Looking fantastic!  I hope the mangoes hold!

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 11:32:27 AM »
I'm amazed that these are growing in LI! I'm in NYC and never even considered growing here.
- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ