Author Topic: My first no Latex Jackfruit cold strain  (Read 30634 times)

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
My first no Latex Jackfruit cold strain
« on: July 17, 2014, 09:31:06 AM »
Its all start back in 1996 in search of a zero latex Jackfruit. I got tire of cleaning my knife & my gummy mouth & hands eating one of my favorite fruit.  Back then I have raided PIN, Excalibur, Treehouse, several defunct nurseries & backyard Surinamese growers in west Palm beach looking for that elusive tree & I bought them all.  Many were promised low latex but to me it was false advertisement, I still have to rinse my hand with olive oils before a soapy water rinse to get everything off.  The freeze of several years back thank God kill hundred of my trees so they free lot of real estate for newer selections.  I discovered Ebay back then & bought chempedak, Vietnamese baby jack, marang every artocarpus & kissing cousins for my cold resistant program of breeding Jackfruit with zero latex, small seeds, large carpel, 70% yield or better to rag & edible rag, easy peel skin like a chepadek, small fruit like the vietnamese baby jacfruit.

After many insults & encouragement by framily ( friend & family), passerby & fellow fruit fanatics who had the sorry benefit of tasting & growing my breeding selections, I harvested my first
designer jackfruit.  If the second fruit replicate the first fruit; I will name it Boca orange snob fot eluding me all these years! ;D

Very large orange yellow carpel, me & my friend ate the sweet crispy  delicious rags about three lbs before we got full & visit our porcelain friend.

Absolutely a joy to rip apart with my hands, my wife gave me a Dirty look; she like a man with a slow hand!
;D

My failures in breeding; dam fruit scale in at 28lbs, I was hoping 5-10 lbs (its parent were Vietnamese baby seedling x Pakistan seedling x searle's brothers seedling. It parent is a 10-15 compact tree in my front door entrance.  The ripe skin did not peel nicely like vietnamese baby jack, i had to massage my hands gently to free them; wife was impressed! It had a very strong linging odor that the kids from church school complaining.  But the kids got no problem stuffing their face with crunchy sweet goodness; at first they thought it was my usual fart. Rag & rind attract coons, rats, fruitflies & Jewish Grannies complains out walking pamper pooch predawn in my hood before waste management pickup garbage today.  We harvest over powering fruit when we smell it ripening yesterday. It was planted as a seedling in december 2009.

My success No Latex, just rinse hand with water to take the sugary syrupy off. After hand dry that juicy fruit gum smell prevail last almost a day. Tree is small & compact to bearing, flower last year but didnot set fruit like this year.  Survive 2010 freeze with no dieback as a seedling when my other grafted tree frooze dieback to the ground. I have ten of these trees in west palm so I will hope the other seedlings will display some uniqueness this one did not( however this one was the fastest to flower in three years from seed).  The seeds are small compare to the edible carpel.  Yield was almost 75% of edible matter.

I will kill some of its parents this weekend unless I am out snakehead fishing, so I can have room to plants it offsprings & see if I can stabilize it over the next decade, hopefully getting my freeze resistant, 5-10 lbs round fruit, zero latex, low odor, thin rind easy to peel with bear hand, edible rags that is not so laxative.  More tart into it cause right now its french pastry sweet!  ;D
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

AnnonAddict

• Growing too many things at once
    • Santa Barbara, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: My first no Latex Jackfruit cold strain
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:42:14 AM »
Very, very, very nice Jack!
Jackson

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 09:46:48 AM »
Awesome sauce! A crunchy jack will little/no latex! Me want one!
Joe

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 09:51:28 AM »
Maikai nui loa
You do very good works.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 09:53:43 AM »
Very nice color.  Huge carpals.  Amazing flesh to seed ratio.  Great job!
Brad

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 10:00:34 AM »
Can anyone point to a more creative writer on the forum than Coconut?  His writing skills are only second to his breeding skills.  This is a phenomenal outcome to over a decade of effort.  Congratulations man.  The combination of precociousness, color, latex free, taste and edible ratio is one helluv an accomplishment.  May your work be cast widely amongst the jackfruit lovers of the world and held in the esteem it deserves for millenia. 

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 10:05:57 AM »
Any budwood or seeds available?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 11:27:37 AM »
Coconut,

Great job so far, it sounds like the finished selection is going to be tasty and amazing. This post reminds me I need to plant some seedling jackfruit sometime in the future. The edible seeds and vegetable use of the young fruit, make it a great versatility fruit tree.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »
Looks great!

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
That looks like an awesome jack! Would have loved to try it.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 01:17:40 PM »
The color too - here in Uganda most varieties are whitish in pulp color.
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 01:25:08 PM »
It's very nice! Congratulations! Can you sell some seeds?  ;D

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »
This one looks awesome, very thick flesh, great color, easy peel, fruits from a small tree...wished i could taste it. Jacks can be a really great fruit, even to sweet sometimes.

If you lost hundreds of jackfruit tree's then how many do you have? thousands?

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 03:21:10 PM »
That is quite a beauty!
Life is good

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 03:26:01 PM »
Wow looks and sounds tastey but why try to get low odor, I love the smell.  Congrats, can't wait for the siblings to start showing themselves.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 06:25:36 PM »

Well at least you saw the tree & fruit across the street.  The Rabbi was so happy I think he will Kosher the tree for me. The second fruit I let you know.  The Rabbi said it was the best Jack he ever had better than its parents.  So now I get to plant anything to my heart content at the Rabbi house! I am going to Have HOA cut down that 50 feet podocarpus, oh  maybe not I have just planted Berto's one lb size passionfruit & landolphia under it to strangle it.  Sunday Morning I see I nail you a few snakehead for the smoker.  My Jewish Neighbor love them cold-smoke said snakehead white flesh LOX taste like white sturgeon LOX.  Oh yes this Jackfruit go well with smoke Lox & My sugar apple moonshine.

Next week I have The Boca Giant Chewy Ready to eat, some are a lb now other are getting to 2 lbs, shot a squirrel today who ate one intent for wife, she piss it stole the three lbs chewy ready this morning.  Oh well I am busy collecting the seeds in swimming pool to send to nathalie in Papua guinea.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 06:34:30 PM »
Very, very, very nice Jack!

That is the fact Jack; hey what happen to the smooth skin surinam cherry you were going to sell to me? Did some one HiJack my seeds Jack? ::)

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 06:37:59 PM »
Awesome sauce! A crunchy jack will little/no latex! Me want one!

Dont insult my intelligent like Dorgon & his cronies!  Its a no latex jack not a little/no latex! >:(  :(  :-[  :-X  ::)  ;)

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 06:44:16 PM »
Maikai nui loa
You do very good works.

Thanks Micah, you want to test run my coconut offering to that land of volcanoes & see if the God Pelee will accept the Sacrifice? You have any Baccuarea Macrophylla growing? I have a six feet tall tree outside that survive freeze 2010 but I need seedling that is male & female to pollinate my cold strain, otherwise its going to be samurai? :-[   :'(

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 06:57:48 PM »
Can anyone point to a more creative writer on the forum than Coconut?  His writing skills are only second to his breeding skills.  This is a phenomenal outcome to over a decade of effort.  Congratulations man.  The combination of precociousness, color, latex free, taste and edible ratio is one helluv an accomplishment.  May your work be cast widely amongst the jackfruit lovers of the world and held in the esteem it deserves for millenia.

Did you germinate A. Squamosa big eyes yet?  I have two hundred & seven seedlings out of 210 seeds after three weeks, they might loose viability fast.  Yes I promised those poor South African Jackfruit fanatics good seedlings, I will send them tomorrow so it does not loose its Viability & sprout so Marcel & stuart can pot them! Great to see you bringing those Mango destitute Bermudian some relief from the Fruitless bermuda Triangle! ;D

Well at least you saw the tree & fruit across the street.  The Rabbi was so happy I think he will Kosher the tree for me. The second fruit I let you know.  The Rabbi said it was the best Jack he ever had better than its parents.  So now I get to plant anything to my heart content at the Rabbi house! I am going to Have HOA cut down that 50 feet podocarpus, oh  maybe not I have just planted Berto's one lb size passionfruit & Mourad's landolphia under it to strangle it.  Sunday Morning I see I nail you a few snakehead for the smoker.  My Jewish Neighbor love them cold-smoke said snakehead white flesh LOX taste like white sturgeon LOX.  Oh yes this Jackfruit go well with smoke Lox & My sugar apple moonshine.

Next week I have The Boca Giant Chewy Ready to eat, some are a lb now other are getting to 2 lbs, shot a squirrel today who ate one intent for wife, she piss it stole the three lbs chewy ready this morning.  Oh well I am busy collecting the seeds in swimming pool to send to nathalie in Papua guinea.

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 07:04:54 PM »
Coconut, that was an impressive jackfruit and only from a three year old tree :oI'm sure your neighbors going to let  you plant whatever you want on his yard now. Let me now if you have any extra boca giant chewy sugar apples next week I'd love try them.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »
Any budwood or seeds available?

Still fruiting & I have a very limit amount of seeds for my 20 acres field trial in Miami Garden.  I dont want to put you to sleep by encouraging you to grow my garbage that has not been stabilized since this 16 years quest is still incomplete! Lets wait to see results with other 10 seedlings before I have people propagate this backyard hobbyist breeder works in Florida, I am not a nursery; I am not fling shit to stink up the gene pool! Seeds are only available to development workers & folks that have trade generously with me overseas because they are so limit to good graft varieties than us here in Florida.  Be patient, I am sure I will try my very best to appease you fruit collecting disease and I am not use to having fruit stalkers; only paparazzi! ;D

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 07:27:48 PM »
Coconut,

Great job so far, it sounds like the finished selection is going to be tasty and amazing. This post reminds me I need to plant some seedling jackfruit sometime in the future. The edible seeds and vegetable use of the young fruit, make it a great versatility fruit tree.

Stephen the paparazzi you brought last time inhibit your time to see this seedling tree.  Hopefully in october the second fruit ripe.  Yes I try to breed & select Jackfruits so I have them fruiting & ripening fruit year round even in our winter here with multiple selection. The Pakistani marble seeds jackfruit might be ready by than! I was tempted to pick green fruits to make a Pinoy chicken salad with green jack but wife told me not to eat my 16 years work yet.  I told her now she need to design a bigger Android skeleton watch for me because as you can see, the carpel is bigger than my tungsten watch with fading orange face. :)

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 07:29:46 PM »
Very nice color.  Huge carpals.  Amazing flesh to seed ratio.  Great job!

Thank you, patience, time & luck you can create something to leave to the next generation!

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 07:50:06 PM »
Looks great!

Thank you john, I will work next on a red flesh.  Not a fan of Borneo Red had a grafted tree that produce in consistent fruit!  i create my own by that time around nursing home!  Still waiting for my friend Richard at Excalibur to release the Excalibur Red.  Hope Richard home from his recent stint in the Hospital & be able to do Vietnam trip to collect a Vietnamese red for us all!  :D