Author Topic: Amazing Health Benefits Of The Pummelo  (Read 7631 times)

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Amazing Health Benefits Of The Pummelo
« on: June 02, 2014, 10:14:18 PM »
Pummelo Benefits:

The benefits of pummelo fruit are listed below.

1. Prevents Urinary Tract Infection:
Urinary Tract infection is a bacterial infection that affects the urinary system that creates stores and removes urine. Increased consumption of pummelo juice helps to fight this particular frequent swelling in pregnant women. The Vitamin C present in pummelo increases the acid level in urine and shirks the development of bacteria in the urinary tract.

2. Promotes healing:
Wound recovery practice suggests recovering strength of wounded tissue by replacing the dead tissue with a healthy tissue. Enzyme in Vitamin C helps in the development of Collagen, a protein that fortifies skin making it skin flexible and initiating wound recovery.

3. Healthy gums:
Bleeding and loose gums might be a symbol of Vitamin C deficiency. Collagen development is not just essential for skin, but also essential for creating healthy and balanced gums and teeth. Pummelo helps to make the gums stronger and keeps teeth problems at bay.

4. Heart health:
Pummelo has a high content of potassium, which like Vitamin C plays an important role in supporting the heart. This essential mineral regulates blood pressure levels. Abundant in pectin, pummelo juice clears the arterial deposits accumulated in the body, thereby reducing the impurities and benefiting people with hypertension. Pummelo also reduces the cholesterol count in the body and promotes good cholesterol.

5. Prevents anemia:
 Research has shown that Vitamin C enhances the absorption of iron in body. Iron deficiency often leads to anaemia i.e. shortage of blood in body. Having a diet rich in Vitamin C helps to combat iron loss and improves blood circulation.

6. Wards off cold and flu:
Eating fresh pummelo fruit or drinking pummelo juice, can help prevent toxins and free radical cells from building up in the body. Too many free radicals in the body can cause health conditions like cold, flu, asthma, bacterial infection, allergies and so on. Vitamin C is one of the nutrients which stimulates the action of antibodies and immune cells which guard the body against bacteria that cause cold and flu.

7. Fights cancer:
The skin of pummelo is very rich in bioflavonoids which fights cancer and helps to reduce pancreatic, intestinal and breast cancer. It also stops cancer from spreading by enabling the body to eliminate excess oestrogen. Fiber, present in pummelo protects from colon cancer.

8. Fights Anti ageing:
Pummelo, like grapefruits contain spermadine which protect the cell from processes related to ageing and cell damage. It combats wrinkles and skin ageing and makes the skin appear youthful, fair and soft. It not only removes free radicals that harm the skin, but also assists the body to boost the production of collagen.

9. Weight loss:
Fiber is extremely significant for weight loss. Foods high in fiber stays in the stomach for a longer time and reduces regular hunger pangs. They also need more chewing time giving the body longer time to feel satisfied and reducing the risk of too much eating. This fruit also has properties which help to burn the fat reducing the starch and sugar content in the body.

10. Prevents osteoporosis:
Uncontrolled osteoporosis can affect posture, bodily movements as well as flexibility. Treatment for brittle bones calls for a diet rich in calcium and minerals to encourage new bone development. The pulp of pummelo boosts bone health and decreases the potential risk of building brittle bones.

11. Aids digestion:
The high Vitamin C content in pummelo retains the elasticity of arteries and improves the digestive system. Although the food has high ascorbic acid content, it produces an alkaline reaction once digested.  Pummelo is filled with dietary fiber which assists in preserving normal bowel motions and avoids haemorrhoids.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Health Benefits Of The Pummelo
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 01:11:33 PM »
OMG its the new SUPER FRUIT!  Couldn't resist throwing the most over used word in dietary science out there lol. Glad I have one, cant wait til it starts fruiting.

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 02:29:16 PM »
I'll have to try a pummelo.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 02:50:06 PM by robbyhernz »

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 03:50:43 PM »
Me too... but we don't have pummelo trees to buy here...  :'(

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 05:11:34 PM »

Thats a shame :(, sweet pummelo is one of the best tasting citrus out there. I would rank it in the top 3, right behind mandarin and sweet oranges.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 06:02:22 PM »
Good info, Millet.  Can these attributes be claimed by other citrus as well?  I consume lots of lemons for instance.  They are present at practically every meal to squirt on everything from salad to potatoes to broccolli to chicken and beef. I only abstain from adding it on my desert. 
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 06:04:57 PM »

Thats a shame :(, sweet pummelo is one of the best tasting citrus out there. I would rank it in the top 3, right behind mandarin and sweet oranges.
That's 100% shure that if i sprout pummelo seeds and then i graft them in a Orange tree or grapefruit i will not get decente pummelos?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 10:56:25 PM »
Yorgos, some of these benefits are also benefits in other citrus varieties but not all of them.

Luisport, 100% sure that pummelo seed deso not produce true.  Sorry about that. - Millet

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 07:10:47 AM »
Yorgos, some of these benefits are also benefits in other citrus varieties but not all of them.

Luisport, 100% sure that pummelo seed deso not produce true.  Sorry about that. - Millet
Thank you, i will try to buy a pummelo tree from France or Italy

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 01:10:25 PM »
Chinese honey pomelo fruit blog http://chinapomelos.blogspot.pt/

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:25:35 PM »
Neat, thanks. - Millet

Yorgos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 02:24:25 PM »
My chandler pummel only has 3 fruit this year, but I am anxious to try them out come fall/winter.  Its a small tree being over taken by a bloomsweet grapefruit planted next to it (3 feet away). The bloomsweet is loaded.  I am experimenting with the High Density Home Orchard approach.  I'm in the 4th year of HDHO so still early to determine results.   

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 10:33:35 PM »
Yorgos, in citrus, each variety has its own rate of growth, and eventual size of tree.  For high density planting you might try to match varieties that possess approximately the same rate of growth, and about the same eventual size.  Example: in your 4 X 6-ft bed you could plant 4 different mandarins or satsumas, or you might plant a kumquat, a satsuma and a couple mandarins, all growing on Flying Dragon rootstocks. These 4 citrus varieties are all slow growing smaller sized trees.    Growing trees such as a grapefruit, and a Page mandarin close to each other, the grapefruit would rapidly over grow  the Page mandarin eventually causing the page to die out, or become greatly under productive.   Personally I have never seen trees planted as close as your trees are. Your high density project is highly interesting, please keep us advised how your orchard is doing, and how each tree is affecting its closest neighbor. Harvest information on each variety would also be very interesting.  . Thanks Millet

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 09:54:24 PM »
Citrus can be hard pruned or even espaliered to modest sizes and kept at high density.

I have to eat these seven free pomelos that were given to me yesterday.
I see my Carter's Red  is doing its thing.

Yorgos

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »
Millet,
I will take some pics and report periodically in this space how HDHO is working with these citrus.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 10:22:01 PM »

This is the pink pomelotree from my family. It bears year around and gives great fruit.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 11:08:03 PM »
Looks like a pumello variety called Chandler. - Millet

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 11:34:49 PM »
Looks like a pumello variety called Chandler. - Millet

This tree is in Thailand so i guess not a Chandler which doesn't sound very Thai to me. It had more then 90 fruits this year but most dropped.

Is there anything we can do against unmature pomelo's dropping? The tree is in clay soil and never got fertilizer untill last year. Then it got bonemeal and later dolomite. That's why it had much more fruit this year but they still drop to much.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 09:58:45 AM »
Chandler is the English name for the pink pummelo variety.  What the given name is in Thai for the same variety  is unknown to me. - Millet

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 04:08:47 PM »
Citrus fruit have three periods of fruit drop.  Early fruit & flower drop, June drop, and preharvest drop. The number one reason for flower and fruit drop in citrus trees  is insufficient watering.   The largest drop of flowers & fruit is the early drop period which  occurs during the initial period of flowering and fruit set.  During the early drop period 87+ percent of the flowers and small fruitlets fall from the tree.  During the June drop period young, immature small citrus fruits about 1 inch or less  in diameter are abscised from the tree.  June drop is the tree's natural fruit thinning process related to the simultaneous demand by the fruits  for the available resources of the tree. There is a lower number of fruit drop during June drop period  than during the early drop period.  Preharvest drop  is the abscission of fruit of significant size which are ready, or nearly ready for harvest. .  Again the number of fruit that fall during preharvest drop is less than either early or June drop.

To reduce the dropping of fruit during the early drop period, the accepted procedure is a foliar spray application of low biuret urea, or potassium nitrate about 1.5 to 2 months prior to the date of expected tree bloom.  This reduces early drop  and  increase flower number and fruit yield.

Plant growth regulators such as Gibberellins  work well for reducing early and June drop of citrus. June drop is exacerbated by deficiencies in nitrogen or other nutrients, sudden high temperatures, lack of water, and infestations of mites and other insects.   GA3 enhances early fruit growth, resulting in inhibition of early fruit drop and June drop, and an increase in final fruit set.   The auxin 2,4-D is used world wide to reduce preharvest drop, the timing of application depends on the cultivar, and it is typically applied with GA3 to also delay rind ageing, so that treated fruit remain young for a longer period of time.  - Millet
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:24:06 PM by Millet »

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »
Citrus fruit have three periods of fruit drop.  Early fruit & flower drop, June drop, and preharvest drop. The number one reason for flower and fruit drop in citrus trees  is insufficient watering.   The largest drop of flowers & fruit is the early drop period which  occurs during the initial period of flowering and fruit set.  During the early drop period 87+ percent of the flowers and small fruitlets fall from the tree.  During the June drop period young, immature small citrus fruits about 1 inch or less  in diameter are abscised from the tree.  June drop is the tree's natural fruit thinning process related to the simultaneous demand by the fruits  for the available resources of the tree. There is a lower number of fruit drop during June drop period  than during the early drop period.  Preharvest drop  is the abscission of fruit of significant size which are ready, or nearly ready for harvest. .  Again the number of fruit that fall during preharvest drop is less than either early or June drop.

To reduce the dropping of fruit during the early drop period, the accepted procedure is a foliar spray application of low biuret urea, or potassium nitrate about 1.5 to 2 months prior to the date of expected tree bloom.  This reduces early drop  and  increase flower number and fruit yield.

Plant growth regulators such as Gibberellins  work well for reducing early and June drop of citrus. June drop is exacerbated by deficiencies in nitrogen or other nutrients, sudden high temperatures, lack of water, and infestations of mites and other insects.   GA3 enhances early fruit growth, resulting in inhibition of early fruit drop and June drop, and an increase in final fruit set.   The auxin 2,4-D is used world wide to reduce preharvest drop, the timing of application depends on the cultivar, and it is typically applied with GA3 to also delay rind ageing, so that treated fruit remain young for a longer period of time.  - Millet

I see , well it is frustrating to see them drop but i guess the tree needs more water first. The problem is bad water full of calcium and sometimes there is no water at all, that happens on the countryside sometimes.

This tree has never been sprayed, the owner wants to grow it organic with natural fertilizers only.

Also the tree doesn't have mulch, so i will help them to make that as well as a sprinklersystem. Pomelo is a great fruit and i can't wait to taste a ruby red from my own tree.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 10:16:42 PM »
Bangkok, The owner can fertilize the tree organically,]. However, most organic fertilizers have a low percentage of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium.  Therefore, the owner must be SURE to use enough organic fertilizer to take care of the nutrition needs of the tree. A 1 year old citrus tree needs to be fertilized 6 times a year, a 2 year old tree 5 times a year, a 3 year old citrus tree 4 times a year, and trees 4 years old and older require fertilization 3 times a year.   Further NEVER EVER let a citrus tree that is starting to bloom, while in bloom, and while the new young fruits are still small, EVER BE STRESSED BY WATER SHORTAGE. Doing so will greatly reduce any hope of a good crop of fruit. The best future to you and to the Pummelo tree - Millet

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 10:54:34 PM »

Thank you, i will try to buy a pummelo tree from France or Italy
Aloha
Great benefits for a great tasting fruit
Here's some of my observations...
Everyone in my area of Hawaii call it Jabong (last sound when it hits you on the head). Japanese tourist tell me zabon...I guess that pidgeon English changed it a bit.
It is well known that to much jabong make stink fut (gas)
In the valley many types were brought here during sugar cane plantation times by Chinese or Japanese indentured workers.  Most here are dry flesh types..the lovers of jabong know which trees are the good juicy ones.
Doing our family horseback tours in area for 15+ years ive fed many a visitor the dry and good jabong (also mountain apple and Surinam cherry do this) on the side of trail ride and they would throw the seed down the trail in forest after sampling.  Many many volunteers are growing along trail now...this one grandmother dry tree's baby across the trail..I got to sample a couple of years ago now..for the first time and it is way way way better than the parent. It's a good jabong! 
Also near our taro patches same thing happened , but this mother tree is a good type and the volunteer just happened to be by the stream where the lawnmower couldn't get, we realized it was a citrus ...so we kept mowing around it..and the first season the fruit was like parent very good...second season it was dry and tasteless.
Does the apple(jabong) fall far from tree?  Mmmm sometimes

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 09:32:22 AM »
Well for many people in Thailand water and fertilizers are expensive, most of the time they are right with that because it is cheaper and easyier to buy the fruit from the market. I gave the owner 3 kg of 13-13-13 and told them that it was for the WHOLE garden and for 1 year, next year i would give a new bag. I just heard that they used the whole bag in 1 time for the garden.

Well who cares, doesn't matter as that is the most used saying in thailand.

I never grew citrus from seeds, grafted tree's are very cheap. Also i will try eating the candied peel of pomelo. It looks great and i ve seen it for sale a lot.