Author Topic: Allspice  (Read 2273 times)

robbyhernz

• Tubac, AZ
    • View Profile
Allspice
« on: July 02, 2014, 06:37:25 PM »
Anyone familiar with a variety called Allspice? Supposedly the fruit has a spicy aftertaste. I was intrigued by it and I purchased a very small tree from RSI Growers. It flushed all winter in my greenhouse and I can't wait until I get fruit.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Allspice
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:07:29 PM »
Anyone familiar with a variety called Allspice? Supposedly the fruit has a spicy aftertaste. I was intrigued by it and I purchased a very small tree from RSI Growers. It flushed all winter in my greenhouse and I can't wait until I get fruit.

Just realized this is about a type of citrus, and not real allspice (Pimenta dioica). You might want to change subject heading as it's a bit confusing.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:20:49 PM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 09:08:25 PM »
Today's technology of putting a gene from one plant into another plant is becoming rather common.  I wonder what a Minneola tangelo would taste like with a gene from Allspice spliced into its DNA? - Millet.

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 01:11:23 PM »
http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/allspice.html

Description from The Citrus Industry Vol. 1 (1967):
"  Fruit medium-small, slightly oblate to globose; color orange-yellow; seedy.  Rind thin, slightly pebbled, and rather tightly adherent.  Solid axis; flesh tender and juicy; rich, tart, spicy flavor and aroma.  Midseason in maturity and loses quality if left on tree much past maturity.
      Tree and foliage mandarin-like in appearance.
      Allspice resulted from a cross of the Imperial grapefruit and Willowleaf mandarin made in 1917 by H. B. Frost of the University of California Citrus Research Center, Riverside.  Although the fruit is small, it is attractive because of its rich flavor and spicy fragrance. "

I'm curious on the flavor of this variety. I'm thinking of picking up a tree.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 10:51:05 AM »

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 12:43:52 PM »

Just realized this is about a type of citrus, and not real allspice (Pimenta dioica). You might want to change subject heading as it's a bit confusing.
+1
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »
Ortanique has a little bit of a spicy taste to it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk