Author Topic: Should I water my in ground fruiting mango trees?  (Read 19986 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Should I water my in ground fruiting mango trees?
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2015, 10:29:22 PM »
author=bsbullie link=topic=15142.msg193652#msg193652 date=1428458819]
Come on zands, the "add image to post" function is one of the most simple methods to post pictures.   I can easily do it from phone, tablet  and desktop.

It goes on the blink from time to time though the situation seems better these days. Post image used to be useless on high use days such as weekend day mornings.  But when I would go to the post image website it worked  to post images here at this alleged forum

Weird, never had a problem (not saying you haven't had problems), just speaking for myself.
- Rob

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2015, 10:47:48 PM »
I don't see any pictures

Because the guy is a mad fruit genius near Orlando with>>>>

45 Variety of Mango, 4 Variety of Jack Fruit, 4 Variety of Dragon Fruit, 3 Variety of Lychee, 3 Variety of Logan, Thai Guava, Pomelo, Jaboticaba, 3 Variety of Avocado, Sapodilla, Sapote, 3 Variety of Fig, Cainito, Vietnamese Suger Apples, Persimmon, Loquat

But he did say "the only tree that has not fruited Mai 1 jackfurit" Maybe he is legit.............I am a newbie and even I am having a hard time digesting this one and want to say troll, but too new to say that.  Waiting to see pics, and see more info

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2015, 10:53:12 PM »
You have fruited star apple?  Would like to see pictures of it and your other trees.

I've been trying to post pictures but it's not posting. I keep on trying.
RichardN

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2015, 10:59:51 PM »
You have fruited star apple?  Would like to see pictures of it and your other trees.

I've been trying to post pictures but it's not posting. I keep on trying.

Try signing up with and using photobucket.
- Rob

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2015, 11:12:37 PM »
Just post pictures on a new page topic. Took over 1 hour and finally it post.
RichardN

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2015, 11:26:25 PM »
Im in southern California. My trees are very young so I water my mango trees a little bit every day, except on cooler days. My Valencia Pride has been in the ground for about 3 years. To my surprise, It pumped out 17 large mangos in the second year after it was planted. I remember watering it everyday and applying bloombooster 0 10 10 once a month until harvest. My coconut cream is in its second year in the ground.  The first year had huge blooms, but no fruit set. This year is looking pretty good. I have it planted with VP in the same hole. It must be the bloombooster and maybe the cross pollination with VP or the roots are more established. Could be all the above. Hopefully, I will have some homegrown coconut cream this year!

In this picture, Coconut Cream on the left and VP on the right. Both are fruiting this year.

Coconut Cream fruitlets

RichardN

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2015, 02:28:08 AM »
I don't see any pictures

Because the guy is a mad fruit genius near Orlando with>>>>

45 Variety of Mango, 4 Variety of Jack Fruit, 4 Variety of Dragon Fruit, 3 Variety of Lychee, 3 Variety of Logan, Thai Guava, Pomelo, Jaboticaba, 3 Variety of Avocado, Sapodilla, Sapote, 3 Variety of Fig, Cainito, Vietnamese Suger Apples, Persimmon, Loquat

But he did say "the only tree that has not fruited Mai 1 jackfurit" Maybe he is legit.............I am a newbie and even I am having a hard time digesting this one and want to say troll, but too new to say that.  Waiting to see pics, and see more info

Sometimes it's hard for people to see pass their nose young grasshopper. Lol
RichardN

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2015, 12:19:04 PM »
5 year old Pickering. 6 feet high. Don't get me wrong, I wish I would get rain, but not about to drag hose to water this tree.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2015, 12:24:32 PM »
Here is my oldest tree planted in 1996. Glenn. I just cut the center out this past winter. Thus the ladder.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2015, 01:00:41 PM »
The Glenn is a 20 year old tree and is fine on its own.  That Pickering is really looking drought stressed.
- Rob

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2015, 01:38:26 PM »
There is no doubt that pickering is drought stress.  In my opinion mango love that.  Let them suffer. I don't encourage them to grow at all.   I got about 30 mango off the pickering last year.   It is suppose to rain this weekend so maybe it will receive some moisture then.  Thanks for the reassurance on the Glenn.  (yes, being a sarcastic bore, sorry, LOL)  Hopefully it doesn't produce too much. Last year it was about 400 mango.  Too many for a homeowner.  So, hoping for less mango this year.   

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2015, 03:03:07 PM »
what gallon pot was it in when you bought it? That's good for 2 years in ground

Im in southern California. My trees are very young so I water my mango trees a little bit every day, except on cooler days. My Valencia Pride has been in the ground for about 3 years. To my surprise, It pumped out 17 large mangos in the second year after it was planted. I remember watering it everyday and applying bloombooster 0 10 10 once a month until harvest. My coconut cream is in its second year in the ground.  The first year had huge blooms, but no fruit set. This year is looking pretty good. I have it planted with VP in the same hole. It must be the bloombooster and maybe the cross pollination with VP or the roots are more established. Could be all the above. Hopefully, I will have some homegrown coconut cream this year!

In this picture, Coconut Cream on the left and VP on the right. Both are fruiting this year.

Coconut Cream fruitlets

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2015, 07:37:17 PM »
Put me down in the never water a mango category.  I haven't seen rain in a month and I still don't even think about watering mango.  They do fine without it.  Some of my trees are loaded with fruit.  I haven't watered mango in 15 years.  They don't need it and I think do better without it this time of year.  Your mileage may vary, but i never water mine.   Only time to water mango is when first planted.  If you plant in the rainy season then you typically never have to water.   Sure, watering won't hurt them, but they don't need it in my opinion.   This is for East Central Florida.  I'm in a severe drought right now and keeping the jaboticaba watered. But, Mango?!?  LOL...never water them...

Put me down also in the never water a mango category, and fertilize only lightly.  Of course, other climate conditions might require different culture.

My farm experienced a reasonably severe drought last year.  The mangos, mostly 2 and 3 year old, came through the drought better than almost any other fruit tree I have.  It's a s good as cashew.

The seedlings clearly have a significant tap root during their first year, but I don't know if that persists.  I think the mango's drought resistence comes from it's ability to retain moisure in the leaves.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2015, 08:32:38 PM »
what gallon pot was it in when you bought it? That's good for 2 years in ground

Das Bhut, both trees came in  3gallon containers(little rootbound). But, both trees are more like 7g size though.

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2015, 11:24:59 PM »
The Glenn is a 20 year old tree and is fine on its own.  That Pickering is really looking drought stressed.

My pickering, which is in a 7 gallon pot, looks the same with the leaves drooping down like that.  However, i keep the thing watered so drought stress is not an issue i believe.  Could this just be a certain look the Pickering gets when fruiting?  I have about 5-6 mangoes growing on it

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2015, 11:36:43 PM »

My pickering, which is in a 7 gallon pot, looks the same with the leaves drooping down like that.  However, i keep the thing watered so drought stress is not an issue i believe.  Could this just be a certain look the Pickering gets when fruiting?  I have about 5-6 mangoes growing on it

My Pickering doesnt look like that.  How often are you watering?   It us much different when in pots, especially small pots.
- Rob

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2015, 11:51:12 PM »
I probably water it 2-3 times per week....i check the tree 2 ways for moisture:  stick my finger down into the soil and pick the tree up and if it feels light then i water it

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2015, 11:58:04 PM »
I probably water it 2-3 times per week....i check the tree 2 ways for moisture:  stick my finger down into the soil and pick the tree up and if it feels light then i water it

in the pot, needs more water than that.
- Rob

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2015, 12:16:31 AM »
Holy Dave Wilson batman, do you have two mango trees in one hole? Pray tell, how that has been working out? Considering doing this also. Post more pics. Sorry for going off topic. Don't know anybody who waters mango trees here in the islands, although I do occasionally moisten the mulch under the trees. "Surprisingly, mango trees like moderately dry conditions. They require irrigation just until the tree becomes established — from one to three months. Do not irrigate after it’s established. Excess irrigation will increase the tree’s vulnerability to disease and decrease the quality of its fruit. Overwatering can kill a mango tree." Noris Ledesma curator of Tropical Fruit at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden http://www.miamiherald.com/living/home-garden/article1973880.html

Coconut Cream fruitlets

fruit4me

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2015, 04:37:54 AM »
Willowwater
Thanks for the link. My tree's are young so I need to give them little bit of water everyday, especially when it's holding fruits. i start cutting back water when its close to harvesting time. The two trees only been growing together for two years. I didn't do my research enough before I planted them together. It will work. I just have to keep VP in check. In one of the pictures, you can see VP is already growing over coconut cream. I plan to prune every year after harvest.

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2015, 07:37:31 AM »
Many thanks for response and insight. I have been considering planting VP and Kent in one hole. Now I am beginning to think this may actually work as I believe they have similar growth habits, albeit mid and late season fruiting patterns. Finally are those Longan trees in one hole also? Again not to get off topic, and if it's not to much trouble, please inbox me some pics of whatever multiple trees you have planted in a single hole and include any comments, observations/lessons learned from planting this way? Thanks in advance.

Willowwater
Thanks for the link. My tree's are young so I need to give them little bit of water everyday, especially when it's holding fruits. i start cutting back water when its close to harvesting time. The two trees only been growing together for two years. I didn't do my research enough before I planted them together. It will work. I just have to keep VP in check. In one of the pictures, you can see VP is already growing over coconut cream. I plan to prune every year after harvest.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2015, 07:43:09 AM »
VP and Kent do not have similar growth habits.   VP will get almost twice as large and is probably up to twice as vigorous. I would not recommend pkanting anything in the same hole as a VP.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2015, 12:09:32 PM »
VP is a lazy grower's worst nightmare if trying to keep it in check.  Chris Rollins always made it a point to stop and highlight VP, saying you can have any mango you like, but the VP isn't going to work unless you want it to be huge--he said it was twice as vigorous as any other mango he knew of.

It's possible you could plant the Kent in front of the VP, but it would still be difficult to manage.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2015, 02:46:19 PM »
Thanks. Planting advise is greatly appreciated.
VP and Kent do not have similar growth habits.   VP will get almost twice as large and is probably up to twice as vigorous. I would not recommend pkanting anything in the same hole as a VP.

willowwater

• Bahamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2015, 02:54:46 PM »
Response is appreciated. I read somewhere that when planting two trees in one hole to always plant the less vigorous facing south or as south as possible. Is this what you are referring to when you mention "plant the Kent in front of VP"? Thanks.

VP is a lazy grower's worst nightmare if trying to keep it in check.  Chris Rollins always made it a point to stop and highlight VP, saying you can have any mango you like, but the VP isn't going to work unless you want it to be huge--he said it was twice as vigorous as any other mango he knew of.

It's possible you could plant the Kent in front of the VP, but it would still be difficult to manage.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk