Author Topic: Robert is Here fruit stand  (Read 4668 times)

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
Robert is Here fruit stand
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:19:00 PM »
Photos from the Robert is Here Fruit stand in Florida City (Homestead FL). These were taken last summer 

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:39:52 AM by FloridaGreenMan »
FloridaGreenMan

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Robert is Here fruit stand
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 09:27:07 PM »
With all due respect>>> Get  real, the place is a sky high priced tourist trap.  So Florida visitors please go there and drop some green FRNs cash into the Florida economy some of it may filter down to me sideways you never can tell

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:27:46 PM »
When i was there i noticed most of the shelf space is taken up by jellys and preserves, not fresh fruits. Interesting character though.
Oscar
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 10:13:23 PM »
zands and Oscar hit it on the head, its now a money making tourist trap.  Many many years ago it was a little different but now its a lot of commercial distributed product with a "story" to draw in the non locals.  Other than the mamay shake during mamey season and the fresh pressed sugar cane juice, it is not worth the trip.

Dragon fruit at $6.50/il, are you kidding me ???  "Tastes like raspberry, strawberry and kiwi"...plleeeeease.
Those mangoes in that picture have been through a processing plant.  See the stickers and the polished/waxy exterior...yum, NOT.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 10:19:59 PM »
Think it's worth visiting if you've never seen it, especially if you're headed for the Everglades anyway right on the way there.
Oscar
Oscar

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »
I agree that's its become real touristy and I mentioned the prices were high but it's still an interesting place if you are in the area for a short time and want to see some rare stuff.     

FloridaGreenMan

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 07:10:24 AM »
The only thing we found worth the trip was their key lime milkshakes.  Was not impressed by their fruit selection, nor the quality.  Gerry purchased several types of fruit and nearly all went to the trash can.

A much better stop is www.schneblywinery.com
Their mango wine is awesome!

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 08:44:08 AM »
They do have one of the better assortments of honey available.  (Oh wait, I forgot the karma points are gone.)  Better to simply drive down Krome Avenue (SW 177th Ave for the out-of-towners) and stop at the dozens of fruit stands that can be found.  Not quite as wide a selection of rare fruit, but you won't suffer a heart attack from the prices.  While I can't really recommend that anyone go there because of the prices (just as good shakes from the Mennonites (?) on 248th Street), you really can't knock they guy for making money by targeting the tourist market. 

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 09:31:24 AM »
So what would be the alternatives to "Robert is Here" to buy fruit in the Redland/Homestead area?  Okay, driving down Krome Avenue.  Anywhere else?
John

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 09:35:43 AM »
I would go to "Robert is Here" at least once in your life to check it out if you are traveling.  Its a nice place to have a shake (I recommend the Dragon Fruit, Banana and Mamey Shake).   ;)  And if you have kids they have a very unique "animal zoo" in the back.  ;D

Also stop by Knaus Berry Farm and buy a dozen cinnamon buns:

http://www.knausberryfarm.com/

Adiel
Adiel

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 09:37:57 AM »
John, if you are driving down krome, also visit Lara Farms to see their fruit tree selection, If you have even more time, there is the fruit and spice park.

Adiel
Adiel

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 09:54:08 AM »
as jay said,, when I was there a few years back I bought a bunch of different fruit, and most of it was terrible. was just there again last week, and most of the friot was bad. was particularly disappointed in the kent mangos because robert told me personally that they were excellent,
so I bought a book and a half but when I got home they were terrible. I also bought a couple of pounds of passion fruit at 7 dollars a pound waiting for those to ripen up to see if they're any good. in the winter there are not many other places you can buy exotic fruit, so it maybe, worth a visit in the winter but make sure you some taste any fruit you are planning on buying before you buy. in the late spring and summer, there are loads of fruit stands in the area with a better quality fruit  and for half the price.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 09:59:31 AM »
Lara Farms would be a great stop, they sell small 1gal trees that would be easy to ship!

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 10:54:05 AM »
Adiel's got it.  Mennonites = Knaus Berry farm.  They have excellent shakes as well, just as good as Robert.

There are plenty of other spots to get fruit, however usually they specialize in only a few.  Going Bananas for....bananas!  They also have other fruit, depending on what is in season, such as lychee, canistel and a few others.  Lara Farms usually has mamey sapote and sapodilla.  Even Pine Island Nursery has fresh fruit available.  There is also a fruit & veggie stand across from the Fruit & Spice Park on 187th Ave.   Many locals will sit on the side of the road and sell what they have fruiting on their property, but more so during the summer (mangoes, avocados, lychee, longan, dragonfruit, etc.)  I also know a guy that sells jakfruit if anyone "needs" one.