Author Topic: Mango Splitting?  (Read 860 times)

Louie

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
Mango Splitting?
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:25:33 PM »

After the strange weather the last couple weeks which included thunderstorms and unusual summer rains for California i was inspecting a few sweet tart mangos i have on the tree and noticed these cracks forming on the fruit with sap dripping.  I was wondering if there is no hope and they should be picked now and used as green mangos or if the sap will fill in the crack and they will ripen properly.  The cracks are fairly small and as there is nothing nearby that could cause physical damage i figure i might be splitting due to the weather.  Anyone have any advice?  Thanks

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Splitting?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:38:30 AM »
I would probably pick it before it splits more from the rains. There are some signs that it is ready to harvest. Those brown lenticels with sap oozing is a good sign. There also seems to be a shade of yellow starting to develop on the fruit. I think if you pick it now, it will ripen correctly, although I'm no expert on sweet tart mangoes. Check out Truly Tropicals Youtube video on sweet tart mango: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99bv-KJ8wkE