Author Topic: Jackfruit split  (Read 2203 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Jackfruit split
« on: August 20, 2015, 08:05:41 PM »
My Gold Nugget held onto 3 fruits the first season to do so. Yesterday, I found the smallest (5.5 lbs) one splitting and I opened it up.

The fruit around the many (maybe 12) seeds was dry, musky tasting and not sweet at all. Most of the seeds were sprouting and the fruit never softened on the outside nor did it ever smell sweet.

So, my questions are: Is this typical for a first season Jackfruit? I'm worried I left it and the other two on the tree too long?

Regards,

Gary

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit split
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 10:54:45 AM »
The split is from the recent heavy rains we just had. Mine did the same thing, and the split fruit failed to ripen properly.

What's weird is that your tree only has 3 fruit. My gold nugget had over 2 dozen.
Jeff  :-)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 08:49:33 PM »
The split is from the recent heavy rains we just had. Mine did the same thing, and the split fruit failed to ripen properly.

What's weird is that your tree only has 3 fruit. My gold nugget had over 2 dozen.

IIRC yours fruited last year too no? Anyway, the second largest went soft today and I opened it. Minimal latex, some fruits were very sweet, some not so, I'm looking forward to the last one now!
Regards,

Gary

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 11:53:14 AM »
Yep, it fruited last year, but minimally so, and what little fruits the tree had were of mediocre quality. This year was the first real harvest that the tree has had. Apparently they take many years to come into bearing.

I've been pretty happy with the fruit this year. They are super easy to clean and quite good tasting.
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk