Author Topic: cupuassu Harvest time  (Read 3886 times)

Yam55Ing

• Garcinia, Pouteria Mania !!
    • Republic of Korea
    • View Profile
cupuassu Harvest time
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:46:20 AM »

Hello everyone,

Apologize for my poor English in first.
I am interested in cupuassu. But still, I do not know much about cupuassu.
In some blogs, I saw that the cacao harvest time is from January to March.
cupuassu also know as a kind of cacao.  Then, cacao and cupuassu harvest time match?

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
Re: cupuassu Harvest time
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:41:45 PM »
Saw your posting for Cupuassu. There is a quite usefull booklet on this fruit put out by EMBRAPA. Brazil. It is in Portuguese. Have you facility/or someone in your area who can translate it for you? I can send you a pdf version in portuguese of same.
                Cupuassu is planted in an industrial scale  mostly in the State of Pará in the Amazon. Big enterprizes run by japanese  settlers.
I have some cupuassu trees which fruit in the month of april-june. They like shade
                                      Best regards
                                                                    mangaba
                                                                 Recife. Brazil

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »
Saw your posting for Cupuassu. There is a quite usefull booklet on this fruit put out by EMBRAPA. Brazil. It is in Portuguese. Have you facility/or someone in your area who can translate it for you? I can send you a pdf version in portuguese of same.
                Cupuassu is planted in an industrial scale  mostly in the State of Pará in the Amazon. Big enterprizes run by japanese  settlers.
I have some cupuassu trees which fruit in the month of april-june. They like shade
                                      Best regards
                                                                    mangaba
                                                                 Recife. Brazil
WOW you have cupuaçu too? I read that it's delicious...  :P

mangaba

• Brazil,Pernambuco,Recife
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 05:41:50 PM »
Hi Luis
            Cupuaçu home made ice cream  and juice are delicious. If you give me a choice , I would rate Mangaba no 01, Cupuaçu 02. Did you receive the mail I sent you ?
                                    um grande abraço
                                         mangaba 

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 05:46:25 PM »
Hi Luis
            Cupuaçu home made ice cream  and juice are delicious. If you give me a choice , I would rate Mangaba no 01, Cupuaçu 02. Did you receive the mail I sent you ?
                                    um grande abraço
                                         mangaba
The ones with india recepies, yes i receive!  ;D Thank's!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 05:57:22 PM »
A wise brazilian recently told me that capaucu is sour and not that good out of hand.T.bicolor does not taste that good as well. That person suggested the other 2 Theobromas in lorenzi's book besides cacao may be more appealing. Juice and icecream is all the motivation I need to want to grow capaucu.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 07:34:03 PM »
There is lots of variation in quality.  I have a selection of cupuasu that came from Jim West that is not bad, a lot better than a sour one that came from the amazon.
I have had t. Bicolor that is kind of soapy tasting and then I have eaten some where I didn't stop until I had devoured the whole fruit.
The other thing is that the seeds have value as well as nuts, chocolate like preparations and for making beverages.  We have been planting more.
Mike, what are the other theobromas you referred to?
Peter

Yam55Ing

• Garcinia, Pouteria Mania !!
    • Republic of Korea
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 10:22:07 PM »
                                      Best regards
                                                                    mangaba
                                                                 Recife. Brazil

Hello mangaba
Can I receive a pdf version in portuguese?
Cupuassu I would like to know more about me.

Yam

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 11:11:57 PM »
My was terrified of the full sun but died from freeze of 2008, got tree from Montoso Garden. It made its first flower in the shade, a beautiful sight to be seen, love organic mulch and high humidity... i have to order a fruit from Montoso garden for making a killer Brazilian Mojito. :D
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 04:21:24 AM »
A wise brazilian recently told me that capaucu is sour and not that good out of hand.T.bicolor does not taste that good as well. That person suggested the other 2 Theobromas in lorenzi's book besides cacao may be more appealing. Juice and icecream is all the motivation I need to want to grow capaucu.

Mike, cupuasu is not good out of hand. But mocambo (T. bicolor) can be quite good out of hand, tasting somewhat like a chempadek, if you have a good type. Also as Peter already mentioned, the mocambo seeds are the most valuable part. They are delicious roasted.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 05:09:42 AM »
Thanks for the info Oscar.The species I was told is very good out of hand is T.subincanum and that T.speciosum is good also.

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 07:03:30 AM »
My was terrified of the full sun but died from freeze of 2008, got tree from Montoso Garden. It made its first flower in the shade, a beautiful sight to be seen, love organic mulch and high humidity... i have to order a fruit from Montoso garden for making a killer Brazilian Mojito. :D

Last year I ordered cupasu from Montoso and it was really sourish-good :) so recommended to anyone..
Daniel

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 03:40:28 PM »
Peter, you mention to be blessed to live in a climate with two fruiting seasons. Does mocambo and cupuasu also fruit twice a year for you? If not when are the seasons?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 09:57:15 PM »
Mike, thanks for the names of the theobroma sp. I will see if I can find those in the collection at turrialba.

I wish I could be more precise on seasons of cupuasu and pataxte.  Cupuasu is starting to flower right now.  Both of these species will produce around Sept./Oct and there should be fruit right now but I have trouble getting cross pollination on cupuasu and it is hard to see the fruits, let alone the flowers on t. bicolor as the tree is pretty tall.  Fortunately, the fruits fall when ready on both, unlike cacao. 
We have new seedlings planted of both and I am trying to air-layer cupuasu, something that works for us with cacao.  I intend to start grafting cupuasu as well.
Peter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk