Author Topic: Best choice for a strong piney/turpentine flavored mango?  (Read 7537 times)

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Best choice for a strong piney/turpentine flavored mango?
« on: July 11, 2015, 09:14:38 PM »
I like the really strong spicy type mangoes. What would be the best choice that does well with minimal spraying and has decent production?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Best choice for a strong piney/turpentine flavored mango?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 12:09:10 AM »
The Turpentine, of course.  Hahahahahaha

Ok, on a more serious response,  Carrie,  Val Carrie,  Jakarta (production may be an issue),  Sunrise, Alphonso (again,  production may be an issue).
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 12:14:12 AM »

Ok, on a more serious response,  Carrie,  Val Carrie,  Jakarta (production may be an issue),  Sunrise, Alphonso (again,  production may be an issue).

I was thinking sunrise. Haven't tried the fruit though. I'm hoping to try it  next week.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 01:01:31 AM »
last Kesar I had, had a string turpentine component to it.

Also "Ice Cream".
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 07:39:58 AM »
East Indian mango is fibrous and delightfully piney. I was given one that was from an East Indian seedling tree so it may not be 100% representative. This fruit was ripe but still firm. Firm from fibers, that it could not be scooped out with a spoon. It had to be sliced and eaten slice by slice. Great taste. I would plant it if I had the room.

It was given to me by someone from "The Islands" and he called it East Indian so it must have been close enough to a grafted East Indian tree. Going by internet photos it looks East Indian. One plus, it does not leak juice all over your face and hands as you eat the slices

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 08:42:04 AM »
East Indian mango is fibrous and delightfully piney. I was given one that was from an East Indian seedling tree so it may not be 100% representative. This fruit was ripe but still firm. Firm from fibers, that it could not be scooped out with a spoon. It had to be sliced and eaten slice by slice. Great taste. I would plant it if I had the room.

It was given to me by someone from "The Islands" and he called it East Indian so it must have been close enough to a grafted East Indian tree. Going by internet photos it looks East Indian. One plus, it does not leak juice all over your face and hands as you eat the slices

Fiber is a no go for me.

Has the Kesar produced well in FL? I'm pretty lazy with spraying so I need something that is at least somewhat disease resistant.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 08:50:56 AM »
I guess you could put Graham, Julie or mre so Juliette in the mix.
- Rob

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 08:58:56 AM »
Out of the ones I tried this summer, I really liked the ST Maui - it has a bold, complex flavor and a distinct, allspice-like resin taste. Carries were also awesome with a sweeter and simpler flavor.

Emerald has a nice flavor and a stronger resin taste than most I have tried, but it also had an acidic aftertaste that was slightly unpleasant and average green looks. I would say it's interesting and worthwhile for spice lovers to try... but I'm not yet convinced its a killer mango like Fairchild says.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:00:33 AM by BrettBorders »

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »
Too bad about the fiber. East Indian is hella :D piney with sweet and juicy. After 3-4 mangoes the corner of your lips will start to feel blistered from the chemical burn.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 02:01:40 PM »
Out of the ones I tried this summer, I really liked the ST Maui - it has a bold, complex flavor and a distinct, allspice-like resin taste. Carries were also awesome with a sweeter and simpler flavor.

Emerald has a nice flavor and a stronger resin taste than most I have tried, but it also had an acidic aftertaste that was slightly unpleasant and average green looks. I would say it's interesting and worthwhile for spice lovers to try... but I'm not yet convinced its a killer mango like Fairchild says.

Yes, ST Maui s one you should try not  as "piney" as Kesar but I like that complex flavor you mentioned, pretty fruit too.

Not sure if Kesar will have the same problem as Alphonso growing in Fla.  I think Kesar is more disease resistant.   you should try the ST Maui and Kesar before planting,  maybe someone can report on productivity in Fla.   Both do very well down here in the DR.   ST Maui, is debated whether its actually from Hawaii or not, but from what I gather is disease resistant.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 05:41:24 PM »
The question is like asking for papaya with extra nasturtium taint,extra sour passionfruit,durian with extra rotten onion taste or star fruit with extra oleic acid.Why not just take standard mango and add a few drops of hydrocarbon? I dont get the turpentine thing in American mangoes and in fact neither does south east Asia or Australia.

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 06:12:52 PM »
The question is like asking for papaya with extra nasturtium taint,extra sour passionfruit,durian with extra rotten onion taste or star fruit with extra oleic acid.Why not just take standard mango and add a few drops of hydrocarbon? I dont get the turpentine thing in American mangoes and in fact neither does south east Asia or Australia.

Nah, I just like something with a stronger flavor than the usual sweet flavored ones

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 07:43:03 PM »
Out of the ones I tried, I think Kesar is your best bet. Julie will require more spraying, is less productive and from the ones I sampled, can have a small amount of fiber. Bombay has a weaker resin flavor but I hear it produces well in Florida.

The Kesars from India are absolutely amazing with a strong Indian resin flavor that is also very sweet and complex to my taste buds. The Kesar also has less internal breakdown issues and jelly seed than Alphonso. Banganpalli also has a strong resin flavor and is a larger mango than the normal Kesar but it has less resin flavor and is also less sweet than the Kesar. I'm not sure if it needs to be sprayed or not in Florida.

Simon

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 10:45:29 PM »
I think I'm going to go with a sunrise and a kesar. No idea where I'll plant them but that doesn't seem to stop me. j12 was recommended too. I'm going to taste that one and sunrise next week so that will help the decision.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 09:03:13 AM »
;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 06:54:41 PM »
Lol i think Mike has some point, i guess that any colse-to-the-wild mango has a strong resinous taste to the point of being too much; all in all, that was their primitive taste.
For myself, I enjoy too a piney note to mangoes, because i really like Italian pine nuts and i think that any flavor reminiscent of them is really good. Personally i have been satisfies with Osteen.
Those are my 2 cents. 
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »
Just tasted a "fair emerald" from the Fairchild event.  Is this the same Emerald.  The one bought tasted like peach to us.  Small and a bit under ripe but texture and taste was peach like to us. 

mangomanic12

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 07:53:10 PM »
Can't go wrong with St. Maui. Hunt is on for a good tree Early 2016 ! :)

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2015, 09:31:50 AM »
Just tasted a "fair emerald" from the Fairchild event.  Is this the same Emerald.  The one bought tasted like peach to us.  Small and a bit under ripe but texture and taste was peach like to us.

I was told by one of richard's sons that fair emerald and emerald were one and the same...they just got lazy writing on them all.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2015, 09:35:13 AM »
India, (Indra or Indera, or whatever TF the name is) was an excellent mango, much like Carrie, but bigger.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=11930.msg153483#msg153483
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:02:38 AM by FlyingFoxFruits »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 09:35:28 AM »
had a 34-24 (aka cecilove) yesterday, and it was excellent!  Pretty fruit (sorry no pics) and the taste was like a Bombay, but maybe a little juicier and larger than bombay....EXCELLENT mango
~Jeff

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 09:46:37 AM »
Thanks for the info on the Emerald.    I liked it way more than I thought I would.    Alex had some for sale earlier this season when we were there.  Wish I had picked some up then.

Looks like you found a couple new types you really like as well.  This is so much fun, finding new types to enjoy.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2020, 06:16:53 PM »

This season I've  tasted Carrie, Alphonso, Graham. Although i can taste something different i did not taste pine! Will try some of the other varieties in this thread next season in search of pine flavor. 
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2020, 06:34:48 PM »
One other to try in the pine range might be Jean Ellen. It is fibrous, and some don't like it. One thing about it is has been a great producer for me the last two years loaded and very clean, fruit hanging on till turning yellow near tree ripe.

David H

• Australia Qld. Ravenshoe 4888 .zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2020, 07:53:14 PM »
Mike T.   I'd appreciate it if you don't presume to speak for all Australians. Give your personal opinion,mate. Have you eaten a Carrie mango? I have over 50 cultivars growing here,and Carrie is  in the top three for me flavour-wise. Compact tree,bears well here,disease resistant. Wouldn't be without it.