Author Topic: 2012 South Florida Mango size  (Read 3301 times)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
2012 South Florida Mango size
« on: May 14, 2012, 05:48:51 PM »
I toured some area mango trees this weekend for any signs of ripening.  Other than a loner, runt sized Dot, there were no signs of anything ready to pick within the next week or so.  One thing I did notice that it seemed like a lot of the mango sizes were smaller than normal.  After seeing zands' post with his mangoes and his comments regarding the size of the Van Dykes, has anybody else noticed their magoes being smaller in size than what would be considered "normal" ?
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: 2012 South Florida Mango size
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 06:01:43 PM »
I toured some area mango trees this weekend for any signs of ripening.  Other than a loner, runt sized Dot, there were no signs of anything ready to pick within the next week or so.  One thing I did notice that it seemed like a lot of the mango sizes were smaller than normal.  After seeing zands' post with his mangoes and his comments regarding the size of the Van Dykes, has anybody else noticed their magoes being smaller in size than what would be considered "normal" ?

No, at my house while numbers are smaller, size is not.  I would think there would be mangoes to pick in the next week or two.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »
The only mangos that have ripened so far at my place this spring are Rosigold. I started picking them off the tree a couple at a time a few weeks ago and still have maybe another week or two left picking them. My other mangos all seem to be about the right size for this time of the year. One strange thing I did notice is that my usual powerhouse tree, Valencia Pride is bearing very lightly this year.

Tony 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 06:29:58 PM by SWRancher »

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:49:09 PM »
My PSM, Cogshall, Graham, Pickering and Rosiegold are all normal. Have been harvesting early Cogshalls for the past week but these are not as sweet as they should be in June. No doubt our constant rain is causing premature ripening!     
FloridaGreenMan

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:20:50 PM »
Fruit size seems pretty standard from what I've seen so far.

Central Floridave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:07:18 AM »
Interesting observation. I noticed my fruit size is small also this  year.   

Maybe it is due to the heavy fruiting I have had the past two years and this is an off year. 

The only tree of mine that has heavy fruit is the rosigold.  My Glenn which is typically heavily loaded is thin this year.

And, the fruit is small compared to previous  years. 

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »

I have noticed this on some of my trees. 

My Cogshall's are definitely smaller.  In addition to that, I have a couple varieties (Carrie, NDM#4, Julie) top worked onto that particular tree, and they are quite small too.

Pickering appear to be smaller.

Rosigold are smaller

My NDM's seem small, but it is the first crop on that tree, so I'm not totally sure what normal is for them.

Carrie and Heidi may be slightly smaller than last year

Mallika- no real reference point, but I would say on the small side.
Heidi - no reference point
Hindi Bessenara - first crop on this tree, but they seem way too small.

My mature Glenn and Haden seem about the same as usual, but it's hard to tell since I'm not sure how close they are to ripening this year ..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk