Author Topic: ID Southern Cali passion fruit  (Read 1240 times)

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
ID Southern Cali passion fruit
« on: August 02, 2018, 07:00:35 PM »
So I have been on a mission to find some different types of passion fruit that can be grown in Southern California. It seems to me that everyone has the Fredricks variety and I would love to establish a vine that has some different acid to sugar balance.
I stopped by Exotica in Vista this last Monday to buy a Grumichama and several different mango seedlings for rootstock. While we were down in the area, me and the family went to another favorite nursery, Atkins Nursery. We bought several boxes of white sapote, reed avacodos and passion fruit.
While I was picking out the bigger Fredricks passion fruit from the box, I noticed another box of passion fruit sitting next to it. The thing that caught my eye was all the different colors and sizes. I asked the young guy that was working there and he told me that a local man grows a lot of different types and gives them to him to sell at the farmers market.
If anyone has any idea what types these are or if they might be in contact with the person in Fallbrook that is growing these, I would be interested in hearing more.
There look to be three different cultivars from my observations: two yellow types (one of short, fat & circular, the other is long & oval) and a very light red colored one. This one has five distinct ridges that don't show up very well on the photos.
I will post a taste update in a few days when I have the time.

Erik

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: ID Southern Cali passion fruit
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 08:03:39 PM »
Heres a photo of fredrick and red rover PF.  The fredricks are egg shape and have slightly more acid.  Yellows could be lilikoi. 

Brad Spaugh

greenbean88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 01:03:13 AM »
Thanks for the reply spaugh! Does the red rover have five ridges along the outside? I did not know of anyone that was frowning lilukoi on the mainland?
Erik

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 01:27:46 AM »
So I have been on a mission to find some different types of passion fruit that can be grown in Southern California. It seems to me that everyone has the Fredricks variety and I would love to establish a vine that has some different acid to sugar balance.
I stopped by Exotica in Vista this last Monday to buy a Grumichama and several different mango seedlings for rootstock. While we were down in the area, me and the family went to another favorite nursery, Atkins Nursery. We bought several boxes of white sapote, reed avacodos and passion fruit.
While I was picking out the bigger Fredricks passion fruit from the box, I noticed another box of passion fruit sitting next to it. The thing that caught my eye was all the different colors and sizes. I asked the young guy that was working there and he told me that a local man grows a lot of different types and gives them to him to sell at the farmers market.
If anyone has any idea what types these are or if they might be in contact with the person in Fallbrook that is growing these, I would be interested in hearing more.
There look to be three different cultivars from my observations: two yellow types (one of short, fat & circular, the other is long & oval) and a very light red colored one. This one has five distinct ridges that don't show up very well on the photos.
I will post a taste update in a few days when I have the time.

How much is Atkins nursery selling the various fruit for?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 11:03:12 AM »
The red passion could be 'panama red' and the yellow you know know! Many edible varieties but hard to find some just have to search International passiflora site is one place to search. ;)

greenbean88

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 09:11:06 PM »
Brath we bought maybe 15 reed avacados 15 large white Sapote and maybe 25 passion fruit for 40 bucks
Erik

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 10:04:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply spaugh! Does the red rover have five ridges along the outside? I did not know of anyone that was frowning lilukoi on the mainland?

I dont think theres any ridges.  Seems very round. 

I have a lilikoi vine that small but should have some fruit off that later this year. 

Also have a seedling from a big yellow fruit someone brought back from costa rica.  No idea what type it is but will hopefully fruit that one soon too. 
Brad Spaugh