Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620742 times)

lycheeluva

• Brooklyn, NY
  • obsessed with fruit growing, especially lychees
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2012, 01:02:19 PM »
joe- can you post some pics of your dad's garden

janter

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 15, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »
Hello guys.

My name is Janio.
 I am working in lampung University - Indonesia
 I am glad I found this forum.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #102 on: February 15, 2012, 10:25:48 AM »
Hello guys.

My name is Janio.

Hi Janio...and welcome to the forum. Its great to have another international member and one who actually lives in one of the hotbeds of tropical fruit growing.  Are you able to grow fruits there yourself?  And, if so, what are you growing?  Again, welcome!

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 15, 2012, 11:00:39 AM »
Hello guys.

My name is Janio.

Janio,
Welcome to the forum. Is your work at the university related to agriculture or fruit? If you have any questions about the forum please feel free to message me.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2012, 08:13:42 PM »
Greetings all.

Finally making it here thank to the illustrious Harry H.  I am in Bermuda and have been collecting fruit trees (and several hundred kinds of other edibles) for a few years now.  Due to import restrictions the majority of my items are from seed.  I collect seed from all corners of the planet when traveling.  Right now off hand I have jackfruit, black sapote, white sapote, wooly sapote, a half dozen guava types, mangoes of various kinds, cherimoya, sugar apple, ice cream bean, longan, banana, genip.  I have managed to kill persimmon, soursop, a peach and a jujube plus even a noni (had to repot it).  Jujube and peach were expensive losses - grafted trees.  I look forward to learning from you all.

future

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2012, 08:46:11 PM »
Welcome.....as I only know and only invited one person from Bermuda, I see you have undergone a name change from the good ole days on the Garden Web Forum.  Glad to hear all is well.  When are you heading over this way again??

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2012, 07:12:27 AM »
Prince Harry, yes it is me.  Incognito.  This year I will make at least one pilgrimage to your place in league with my second visit to the mango festival.  Bringing the family this time.  I look forward to it already!  Still not sign of Ross Sapote germination...By the way.  Odd.

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2012, 10:42:48 AM »
Hi everyone

My name is Kim, I'm in Perth, Western Australia. No doubt i'll be reading a lot of very interesting and informative posts on this forum, so it only makes sense that I join up.  ;D 

I'm a definite "newbie" - but my interest in growing fruit trees is now borderline obsessive, but that's a good thing, right? :)   At the moment, I have jaboticaba (6 - M. cauliflora), custard apple, fuyu persimmon, soursop, lychee, blueberries (6), pepino (2), miracle fruit plant, hog plum, grumichama, black sapote, plums (2), apricot, imperial mandarin, avocado, lemon, goji (2), jujube.

I am currently obsessed with jaboticabas so am very jealous of the different types of jabos that you people get to grow  :P .  My trees are believed to be 6/7 years old that are yet to bear fruit.  Most of my trees are babies so there is some waiting yet for fruits.  Can't wait!  ;D
kimi

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
Harry - wow!! you've got momoncillo?!?!  very jealous - i don't know anything about them except for what little information i've found on the net, but wow... might be an unattainable dream, but i hope to one day, somehow, i'll get my hands on a couple of seedlings/seeds...  ;D
kimi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2012, 11:06:36 AM »
Harry - wow!! you've got momoncillo?!?!  very jealous - i don't know anything about them except for what little information i've found on the net, but wow... might be an unattainable dream, but i hope to one day, somehow, i'll get my hands on a couple of seedlings/seeds...  ;D

The trees are dioecious so a seedling may be male, fem, or herm. What are the plant importation restrictions in AU? Ebay sometimes sells grafted spanish lime trees (mamoncillo) for pretty cheap. That may be a better option than growing a seedling.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2012, 12:18:11 PM »
What's up murahilin.  Will I see u at the mango fest agan this year?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2012, 09:04:32 PM »

Hey, I should be there. Do you know what day you will be going?

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2012, 11:03:19 PM »

The trees are dioecious so a seedling may be male, fem, or herm. What are the plant importation restrictions in AU? Ebay sometimes sells grafted spanish lime trees (mamoncillo) for pretty cheap. That may be a better option than growing a seedling.

Hi Murahilin

its practically impossible for us here in WA to import seeds let alone plants.  Other states are not so strict, however, those of us here in the west can only dream.... we are restricted to whatever the local nurseries stock. we are not allowed to even buy a number of plants from the other states.  the costs of delivery/quarantine inspection etc is an issue in itself, but a lot of the exotic plants are prohibited to us.   

hopefully some other west australians join this forum that would by some miracle have in their possession some trees for sale...???  :D 
kimi

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2012, 11:22:22 PM »

Hi Murahilin

its practically impossible for us here in WA to import seeds let alone plants.  Other states are not so strict, however, those of us here in the west can only dream.... we are restricted to whatever the local nurseries stock. we are not allowed to even buy a number of plants from the other states.  the costs of delivery/quarantine inspection etc is an issue in itself, but a lot of the exotic plants are prohibited to us.   

hopefully some other west australians join this forum that would by some miracle have in their possession some trees for sale...???  :D

Sounds kinda like California. Why are the restrictions so tough in your state?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2012, 11:58:53 PM »
Australia is much worse than California because Australia has a "white list". Meaning any species not on their OKed list is not allowed. And each region of Australia has a different "white list".
USDA wanted to do same draconian measure but fortunately it was not passed. But every few years they try again to come up with a USA white list. That would spell the end of importing seeds into USA. So get em while you can!
Oscar
Oscar

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2012, 08:16:23 AM »
We will be there every day.  An overseas trip for me so have to make the most of it.  If you have any worthy tropical fruit gems this summer, do save some seed for me if you can.

Hey, I should be there. Do you know what day you will be going?

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »
Sounds kinda like California. Why are the restrictions so tough in your state?

Because of the potential risk of exotic pests and diseases etc... apparently we don't have a lot of problems faced by some of the other states as well as other countries - eg. apparently WA is the only region free of both apple scab and codling moth.  I'm no expert, and i understand the need to protect the biodiversity and whatnot, but i'm still hopeful that some kind soul living locally who already have in their possession some of the more exotic plants - that they will share what they have with me...  ;D  ;D  ;D  wishful thinking???  :P
kimi

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2012, 05:51:23 PM »
Kimi, Future, Kanter, Joe, Salt Cay, JC - welcome all...

I'm with the Southern California delegation - spring seems
sprung here - woooooohoooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for making this a great international place of peace
and plants....yeah - Peace thru Plants!

Slurp slurp and yum yum.......MangoFang (Gary)

kimi

• Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2012, 11:31:05 PM »
Thank you for the jolly welcome Gary.  :)  And a hearty thank you for the creators of this forum..   :D

I'm learning so much as well as having a laugh at the humour of members... this a truly a great forum!! well done!!!   ;D ;D ;D
kimi

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2012, 11:08:31 PM »
Hi, my name is Mark.  I am new here and new to tropical fruit growing.  I live in West Palm Beach, Florida.  I have 1.25 acres of land with sandy soil and using well water.  I started by buying six "minature green houses" from WalMart and planted various perennial flowers, herbs, fruits and vegetables in the greenhouses, then went on a two week vacation.   ::)  I also cut 2 liter bottles of sodas in half and used those as minature greenhouses.  When I came back two weeks alter, half of the seeds have sprouted.  Then I bought my first true tropical fruit tree from a big box store called "Costco" a Red Lady Papaya.  Within a week of planting the Red Lady Papaya, I planted a Carrie Mango, Sweet Heart Lychee, and Cherry Guava, which I got from a local grower.  My newest acquisitions are an Choquette Avocado tree, Coconut Cream Mango and two dragon fruit cuttings.  I apparently have dived head long into fruit trees.  I need to figure out a micro irrigation system and some master plan on how I should be planting my trees.   :-\   I discovered a free source of compost and picked up my first load today.  I will also be planting my the flowers, veggies and fruits that I have started as seeds sometime in the near future.  :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:29:51 PM by murahilin »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2012, 11:21:39 PM »
Welcome, Mark.  It sounds like you've made some fine choices.  I hadn't heard of cherry guava, but it sure sounds tasty.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2012, 12:54:14 AM »
Mangomandan:  Thanks for the welcome.  This shows a picture of the Cherry Guava:  http://belindamoore.blogspot.com/2008/02/cherry-guava.html  It is also called a Strawberry Guava. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

stuartdave

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2012, 06:00:08 AM »
Harry, I have not had a problem with salt water intrusion yet. I moved to Stuart 15 yrs ago and began planting mostly fruit trees. We have had 5 hurricanes pass over my house but Francis,Jean, and Wilma were most destructive. Just before Francis I topped most of my fruit trees in half which saved them but it has taken 7 yrs to return to normalcy. In the time I have been here the coldest temp was 29.2 last year so i am in a warm location about 4 miles from the ocean. Incidently this yr my macadamia is loaded with blooms  as are my mangoes,avacadoes, and longan. i also have barbados cherry,jakfruit,white sapote,bananas,pineapples, sweetsop and soursop,lychee,longan all of which are grafted or airlayered.I moved here with my wife from Plantation and am now retired. 

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2012, 09:20:12 AM »
Welcome, Mark.  It sounds like you've made some fine choices.  I hadn't heard of cherry guava, but it sure sounds tasty.

I would join in with a warm fruit tree growing welcome to you, Mark.  You are well on your way to a tropical fruit paradise at your home.  The Cherry Guava is another common name for the Strawberry Guava which is a common name for Psidium littorale.  A beautiful landscape plant, with fruits that are adored by fruit flies here in western Broward County, FL. Unfortunately, unless you are into bagging, the fruit flies get these way before you can enjoy them...here at least.  I hope your experience is different.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2012, 11:45:53 AM »
Hi, my name is Mark.  I am new here and new to tropical fruit growing.  I live in West Palm Beach, Florida.  I have 1.25 acres of land with sandy soil and using well water.  I started by buying six "minature green houses" from WalMart and planted various perennial flowers, herbs, fruits and vegetables in the greenhouses, then went on a two week vacation.   ::)  I also cut 2 liter bottles of sodas in half and used those as minature greenhouses.  When I came back two weeks alter, half of the seeds have sprouted.  Then I bought my first true tropical fruit tree from a big box store called "Costco" a Red Lady Papaya.  Within a week of planting the Red Lady Papaya, I planted a Carrie Mango, Sweet Heart Lychee, and Cherry Guava, which I got from a local grower.  My newest acquisitions are an Choquette Avocado tree, Coconut Cream Mango and two dragon fruit cuttings.  I apparently have dived head long into fruit trees.  I need to figure out a micro irrigation system and some master plan on how I should be planting my trees.   :-\   I discovered a free source of compost and picked up my first load today.  I will also be planting my the flowers, veggies and fruits that I have started as seeds sometime in the near future.  :)
Mark - welcome...what veggies are you just now starting ?  This is really not a great time of year to start planting most veggie seeds due to the approaching hot season.  Most growers are on their tail end of the veggies, not to be replanted again till "fall".
- Rob