Author Topic: Orange Sherbert mango seeds/seedling  (Read 2125 times)

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Orange Sherbert mango seeds/seedling
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:57:23 AM »
I planted 3 Orange Sherbert mango seeds. One seed put up one sprout, another 4 sprouts and the 3rd one 7 sprouts. So is it possible to separate these sprouts?

Thanks,

Ed

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Sherbert mango seeds/seedling
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:02:37 PM »
my singular attempt failed. 
I think it is a real timing issue; too small and they damage, too big and they intertwine too much.
I suspect that too many of the zygotic children are losers to begin with and never really stand a chance especially with 7 brother/sisters each taking a piece of the pie.

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »
The sprouts are separable for polyembryonic mangos.  I've done this a few times.  However, it is somewhat tricky, as you have to sift through the soil to inspect the embyro(s) with roots without damaging the roots, definitely an added risk. 
You can theoretically get as many separate plants as there are embryos with a root.
The one in the first picture seems to have good separation potential due to larger spacing between the sprouts.
The one in the second picture may be a little more tricky to separate, as the sprouts are clustered closely together.  Wouldn't be surprised if some of the sprouts are on the same embryo.

btw, for polyembryonic mangos, there is only one zygote.  The rest of the "children" are clones.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 05:38:18 PM by wslau »
Warren

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 06:17:24 PM »
Those look ready to separate. The seed needs to be snapped in some cases and with a little practise it becomes clear how distinct they are.  I rarely lose a separated tree.

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »
Thanks everyone for the tips! I will take one out of the dirt and see if I can separate the plants.

Thanks,

Ed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk