Author Topic: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous  (Read 387466 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Jaboticabaholics Anonymous
« Reply #550 on: February 14, 2015, 10:04:18 AM »
Yes exactly!

I will try to get the video finished for spring...a good time to prune
Pruning video!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! LOL

great idea my friend...I will take your advise, the video is in the works.

I'm real eager to see a vid on this. My Jabo is ~7' tall and pretty dense. It's fruiting quite a bit but only on the sides that get sun, the north is barren maybe opening it up will help it? If I understand what I'm reading more air and light inside may be conducive to fruiting?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 14, 2015, 04:29:07 PM »
Where on Broward central campus? PlEASE give me coordinates lol I am currently enrolled for my second Bachelors at BC, and would love to take a stroll during study breaks and have a snack. I am sure the students there just walk past it oblivious.

It's at building 1 I forgot the exact location

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #552 on: February 15, 2015, 05:39:32 PM »
Well, I have a grafted jaboticaba coroada da restinga which produced his first eight fruits this year. I also have a sabará, which produced around 30 fruits this year, and a hybrid which produced just one fruit.  ;D Coroada da restinga has the small seeds between the 3 species, and also have a good amount of pulp and sweet flavor, being the bigger fruit 3 centimeters in diameter. Almost forgot...I also have a blue jaboticaba, but this one will take sometime to fruit.
By other side, I have a white jaboticaba, 2,20 meters tall, which is flowering like crazy since the middle of january, but she donīt hold the fruits. This one was bought last year by a low price (the seller insisted it was a goiaba...) and I donīt know the treeīs age or if this is the first time she flowers...

In time: Coroada, Hybrid, Blue and White jabos are in containers, and sabará is in the soil. Later, Iīll post photos.

Any ideas why the white isnīt holding their fruits? There is something I can do to "help" her?

Here it goes the photos Iīd promised. Pardon the low quality of them.
White Jaboticaba is flowering a lot, but donīt hold the fruits... Any ideas why itīs happening? There is something I can do to "help" her?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 05:42:21 PM by Cassio »

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #553 on: February 15, 2015, 06:48:53 PM »
Cassio,

that is strange that your tree will not set fruits..I have a small tree (actually several of them), and they have set fruits very well...even when isolated in a greenhouse...and when they first bloomed.

How long has your tree been flowering for?  sometimes it can take them a while to finally start setting fruits....sometimes more than 2 or 3yrs after they first flower.

maybe having another flowering jaboticaba near this tree would help? (but i'm thinking you already have some nearby?)

i also know some trees (especially Eugenias I notice) have a problem with pollen receptivity...or at least this is my theory. I have some Rainforest plums, Cherry of rios, and Pitangatubas that suffer from this...even cross pollination doesn't help them

good luck!  i hope it starts to set fruits!

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 15, 2015, 09:04:42 PM »
Cassio,

that is strange that your tree will not set fruits..I have a small tree (actually several of them), and they have set fruits very well...even when isolated in a greenhouse...and when they first bloomed.

How long has your tree been flowering for?  sometimes it can take them a while to finally start setting fruits....sometimes more than 2 or 3yrs after they first flower.

maybe having another flowering jaboticaba near this tree would help? (but i'm thinking you already have some nearby?)

i also know some trees (especially Eugenias I notice) have a problem with pollen receptivity...or at least this is my theory. I have some Rainforest plums, Cherry of rios, and Pitangatubas that suffer from this...even cross pollination doesn't help them

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #555 on: February 19, 2015, 07:57:26 AM »
Cassio,

Hi Adam. Thanks for trying to help.
I donīt know the treeīs age, nor if itīs the first time sheīs flowering. This is that tree which I bought last year and which the seller insisted to be a goiaba, remember? :)
Well, I have other 03 jaboticaba trees near of this tree, but none of them is flowering now. The white jabo is flowering continuosly since the beggining of january, and with each new "wave" bringing more flowers than the previous "wave" and so on. Yesterday I found the two fruits, but they arenīt there today. Iīm thinking to put her in a bigger pot and increase adubation, but Iīm unsure if itīs the right time for doing it...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #556 on: February 19, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »
Jeff...

dont' worry, it's a small percentage of trees that suffer from this...

for the pitangatubas it was only 4 out of almost 40 trees...and almost all of the trees that don't set fruit came from the same source!

I planted a bunch of seeds from a different source, about 5 yrs ago...and all of them set fruits fine.

its' the same deal with rainforest plum....I got some trees from one source that refuse to set a good crop...then I planted seeds from Oscar, which are extremely productive (slender leaf).
Cassio,

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 24, 2015, 05:46:33 PM »
I suppose I need to join the support group here too. I got one on recommendation from backyard nurseryman. Then once I read about how well they produce, albeit in many years, I got a good deal on some so I got another 4 figuring "hey, they're small now, and if I end up liking them I'll be pissed in 8 years if I have to wait another 8 for the new ones to start producing.".

So they grew all shrubby and unpruned and frankly sort of ugly for a while until I found the forum full of enablers here. Once I pruned them I was actually sort of excited about how they looked, and started reading through this thread.

Then I found out there are jabos that start fruiting in 3 years! So I ordered three from Adam right before the freeze, and these beauties got here today:

This weekend we had a thing in Tampa, and we stopped by Wayne's place in Bradenton to take a look at his Dream annona and do the usual property tour. In addition to being surprised by 3 grafted Dream ready to rock that I wasn't expecting until May, he had a 5.5' tall Grimal jaboticaba!

It may just be my imagination or the addiction talking, but is this thing thinking about fruiting?

Dom

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #558 on: February 24, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »
wow!

u hit the jackpot at Wayne's world!

I'm going to be hitting you up for Dream fruit, and jaboticaba fruit in a couple years!!

that Grimal is a frickin beauty!  I would have bought that thing in a second...and I have like 10 fruiting trees already...lol

I'm greeeeedy when it comes to myrciaria!

the don't let those suckers grow, i see some new shoots trying to form on the caulis...make sure to keep them in check...the tree is not ready to fruit yet, maybe next year (or later this year if you are lucky).

thanks for posting about your trees from my nursery!! those things are ready to grow!!  they will probably fruit in a year from now!

keep me posted on your progress, and keep those jabos pruned properly!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 06:11:59 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 24, 2015, 07:05:38 PM »
Is there a way to verify a tree is a red jaboticaba even when it's too young to flower? I have one (grafted) just a couple of feet high that I got from TopTropicals a few of months ago; it recently put on a flush of new leaves and looks nice and healthy, but since it'll likely be a few years before I get fruit, I'd like to try to verify its identication beforehand if possible.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #560 on: February 24, 2015, 07:23:26 PM »
Is there a way to verify a tree is a red jaboticaba even when it's too young to flower? I have one (grafted) just a couple of feet high that I got from TopTropicals a few of months ago; it recently put on a flush of new leaves and looks nice and healthy, but since it'll likely be a few years before I get fruit, I'd like to try to verify its identication beforehand if possible.

Post a pic

I didn't realize they were offering grafted trees...I don't see any on their website?

They seem to have made up a new name for the red jaboticaba, and a new story I've never heard.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 24, 2015, 08:11:21 PM »
wow!

u hit the jackpot at Wayne's world!

I'm going to be hitting you up for Dream fruit, and jaboticaba fruit in a couple years!!
keep me posted on your progress, and keep those jabos pruned properly!

Yeah, I was thrilled to find a jabo that big! So same principle pruning the reds and grimal as the others: sun on the big branches, keep the leaves up high, encourage it vertical?
Dom

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #562 on: February 24, 2015, 08:13:48 PM »
Yes, just thin out small branches and encourage bigger branches to grow more and to have more sunlight.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #563 on: February 24, 2015, 09:20:41 PM »
about to plant out this pair of 45 gal Myrciaria truncifloras!

I'm so eager to get this done, I just haven't been able to decide on the spot!

M. vexator is blooming up a storm! I have another tree that has decided to take a break...maybe it will bloom when this one stops?  I'm curious to see if I get a decent fruit set, when the tree is in the greenhouse.

here is a 3 gal Yellow Jabo, supposedly a seedling of a large fruited variety...it was able to sneak some blooms past me, and I missed it's first flowers...but looks like a fruit may have set....and it's going to bloom more heavily in April.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #564 on: February 24, 2015, 09:25:13 PM »

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: February 24, 2015, 09:41:33 PM »
Sorry I was wrong about my plant from TopTropicals being grafted. Here are shots of my alleged red jaboticaba:

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #566 on: February 24, 2015, 09:47:37 PM »
that's what they're selling as volcano red...it's just hibrida/precoce, or red jaboticaba...what I've been selling for years now.

looks like the tree could fruit later this year!!

I had a feeling they weren't grafted!  ;)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 24, 2015, 09:52:54 PM »
I expected and wanted it to be the regular red jaboticaba, just NOT the more typical sabara. So it does look like red jaboticaba to you? How can you tell?

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 24, 2015, 10:07:02 PM »
When planting in-ground in our lovely sandy alkaline soils with alkaline well water, do you do anything at planting to amend the soil to keep these guys happy? Pine bark fines? Compost? Just sulfur on top from time to time?
Dom

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 24, 2015, 11:34:07 PM »
When planting in-ground in our lovely sandy alkaline soils with alkaline well water, do you do anything at planting to amend the soil to keep these guys happy? Pine bark fines? Compost? Just sulfur on top from time to time?

Ditto on what he said LOL  Your trees look amazing Adam. I am heavily watering my red every other day to see if it will make it flush with leaves cuz pretty bare now. Still in pot, same problem, trying to figure out where to plant

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #570 on: February 24, 2015, 11:56:12 PM »
I expected and wanted it to be the regular red jaboticaba, just NOT the more typical sabara. So it does look like red jaboticaba to you? How can you tell?
The meme I posted wasn't in regard to your tree...

As I stated before it's the red jabo...just renamed by top trop.

The foliage is different than sabara ... Being larger and the nerves are more salient.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #571 on: February 25, 2015, 12:39:33 AM »

I believe growers in south FL fill the planting holes with some organic matter, like compost, peat, or pine bark, etc...

They don't like alkaline soil!

Chelated Fe will be your savior.

Sulfur helps, and so does rain!  Drought sucks for jaboticaba in FL...especially when your soil or well water is alkaline or even neutral.

Grafting into sabara can be very beneficial for some varieties that are sensitive to pH.  The difference is night and day.

Sabara is one of the most adaptable varieties, being able to grow in alkaline soil with proper care.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 25, 2015, 02:22:42 AM »
If I plant a jabo in the wet muck on the shore of a canal will it die?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #573 on: February 25, 2015, 02:40:08 AM »

quite possibly, but not certainly...it depends on several factors...but in general i don't recommend planting them in mucky locations.  They must get some drainage eventually.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 25, 2015, 02:53:51 AM »

quite possibly, but not certainly...it depends on several factors...but in general i don't recommend planting them in mucky locations.  They must get some drainage eventually.

ah that's too bad, I figured if anything could live in muck it'd be a jabo. I suppose I'm out of spots to plant trees now :/