Author Topic: Lemon drop mangosteen ?  (Read 2607 times)

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
Lemon drop mangosteen ?
« on: February 17, 2021, 07:15:52 PM »

My question is both of them supposedly be lemon drop mangosteen one I got from a customer and other from acquaintance .
I ate both of them and both of them taste slightly different I can't tell if it's just because the one was more ripe than the other .
I can't compare the trees because I only saw one of them was about 14 ft tall .
I have two of one variety and three of the other and did the leaf test to make sure they have the yellow sap.
I was wondering if it's two varieties look similar looking fruits ?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 07:19:55 PM by Nyuu »

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon drop mangosteen ?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 07:27:09 PM »
I have a superior lemon drop seedling and the leaf looks similar to the 2nd photo.

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 07:34:11 PM »
I have a superior lemon drop seedling and the leaf looks similar to the 2nd photo.
I was thinking that might have been the case but didn't know  the leaf would look different from each other . Ty for helping me out

New_Jungle

• USA, Hi,Hilo, 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 09:27:34 PM »
Were the fruits at similar stages of ripeness? The more orange it gets, the sweeter it tends to be.
The best time to plant a fruit tree was 20 years ago. The next best time to plant one is now.
Follow me on Instagram: newjunglehawaii

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 09:40:47 PM »
Were the fruits at similar stages of ripeness? The more orange it gets, the sweeter it tends to be.
I think the one customer gave me wasn't a 100% ripe because she try some later on and the fruit was sweeter than the she tried earlier

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 10:44:16 PM »
Someone you know got mangosteens to grow in zone 9b? I know lemondrops are supposedly more hardy, but I thought even 10b was too cold for them.

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 07:02:23 AM »
Someone you know got mangosteens to grow in zone 9b? I know lemondrops are supposedly more hardy, but I thought even 10b was too cold for them.
Yes I know somebody in 9b growing lemon drop mangosteen and Adam from flying fox fruit have some growing too and lives in a little bit colder area .
I also have a achacha a small protector area and it's winter didn't even touch them .

TSmith

• Orlando, FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 07:58:13 AM »

People are growing them in 9b they usually just need cold protection in the winter if temperatures get too cold. I am in 9b and mine seemed to do good in a protected area outside all winter.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 06:56:05 PM »

Most of the american garcinia species are more cold tolerant than purple mangosteen (garcinia mangostana).

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 05:18:16 AM »
From SE Brazil and good cold tolerance. Very similar in many way to brasiliensis and gardneriana and also has a few variations and better types like these two.

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 11:50:39 PM »

People are growing them in 9b they usually just need cold protection in the winter if temperatures get too cold. I am in 9b and mine seemed to do good in a protected area outside all winter.
Interesting. So many questions: How do you protect it, plant it by a south-facing wall? How productive are they in Florida? When does it fruit? Is yours old enough to fruit?

From SE Brazil and good cold tolerance. Very similar in many way to brasiliensis and gardneriana and also has a few variations and better types like these two.
I thought they were all from Malaya. Do the American species have the same mutation where they reproduce asexually instead of having seeds?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 09:28:30 AM »
Lemon drop fruits a couple of times per year for me. Currently pushing flowers, had some fruits a couple of months ago.

Production has been low thus far, and fruits are small. Tree is about 7 feet tall and has been in ground for a few years.

No need for any protection here.

In partial sun, gets mostly dappled light.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 10:07:14 AM »
My lemon drop tree doesn't take much of a break. Its either flowering or fruiting most of the year. Cool tree to have around... small fruits but extremely productive in full sun. Less productive without full sun. Mr. Painter had a big one that snapped near the base in 2004 Hurricane Charley and it has since grown back into a nice big tree. If I was up in St Pete I'd give it a shot.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 10:11:02 AM »
how does it taste compared to other garcinias that can be grown in US?  It seems to be very popular, I see seeds and seedlings for sale everywhere.  I myself now have a bunch of them because I ordered seeds because I wanted one.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 10:22:21 AM »
Its more prevalent here because it fruits at a younger age and smaller tree size than most garcinia species and can take some cold. Taste is an acid/sweet mix but not much flesh in each fruit. Some consider them sour but I think they have a nice balance of sweet and sour.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2021, 11:02:13 AM »
Thanks.  I like most sour fruit so it sounds tasty to me.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2021, 12:20:27 PM »
I like the taste a lot. They are a little sour to me, with sweetness. Delicious and fun to eat.

My friend says they are not at all sour to him. He loves them.

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2021, 05:48:32 PM »
I ate a little fruit and I actually like them they're pretty good and I'm using not a fan on sour stuff but these had a nice balance of sweetness and sour . I also tried this skin of the fruit and I like this skin as well .