Author Topic: What would be a good companion for my Peach Cobbler Tree?  (Read 5795 times)

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
What would be a good companion for my Peach Cobbler Tree?
« on: July 18, 2018, 11:35:13 AM »
I want to have a few varieties on my Peach Cobbler tree!  any suggestions? Honey Kiss would be my first choice for I want a late season mango, but am thinking they might grow totally different and not compliment each other.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What would be a good companion for my Peach Cobbler Tree?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »
I want to have a few varieties on my Peach Cobbler tree!  any suggestions? Honey Kiss would be my first choice for I want a late season mango, but am thinking they might grow totally different and not compliment each other.

For a later season, possibly Cotton Candy. My Cotton Candy seems to gave a similar growth habit.

Honey Kiss will not be a good companion, the Peach Cobbler will eat it up.
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 12:27:42 PM »
Thanks for info Rob. I sorta figured that may be the case but I was hoping there might be a chance. PC is a fast grower and HK seems so slow. Cotton Candy I had and dumped so am looking for something with a different flavor profile.  Phoenix has shown poor quality so far in evaluations out here. All have been sour and off tasting. My friend Steve from Fruitscapes has said every one of them has sucked no matter how long they have ripened on the tree so not a good sign. Then he went on to say Gary said the same thing, that he is disappointed in the tree so does not sound promising.  So that tree more then likely will be pulled!  So I want another variety for my Peach Cobbler for that flavor profile is a bit much for a whole tree!  What about Nancy?  this is upright I believe since it is related to Sweet Tart and that is upright!  Nancy I loved, a great mango!

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 01:15:51 PM »
Thanks for info Rob. I sorta figured that may be the case but I was hoping there might be a chance. PC is a fast grower and HK seems so slow. Cotton Candy I had and dumped so am looking for something with a different flavor profile. Phoenix has shown poor quality so far in evaluations out here. All have been sour and off tasting. My friend Steve from Fruitscapes has said every one of them has sucked no matter how long they have ripened on the tree so not a good sign. Then he went on to say Gary said the same thing, that he is disappointed in the tree so does not sound promising.  So that tree more then likely will be pulled!  So I want another variety for my Peach Cobbler for that flavor profile is a bit much for a whole tree!  What about Nancy?  this is upright I believe since it is related to Sweet Tart and that is upright!  Nancy I loved, a great mango!

I thought someone posted last year that Phoenix variety is in the top tier category?

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 01:35:30 PM »
That was Rob but the fruit was taken from the mother tree I believe and am pretty much sure of. These grafted trees are different animals.  It is an amazing tree, very healthy and vibrant. I will let mine fruit one time to prove if it stays or gets the ax. Do not need multiple years to tell if it has value!

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 01:42:58 PM »
That was Rob but the fruit was taken from the mother tree I believe and am pretty much sure of. These grafted trees are different animals.  It is an amazing tree, very healthy and vibrant. I will let mine fruit one time to prove if it stays or gets the ax. Do not need multiple years to tell if it has value!

I should have let my  15 gal Phoenix hold fruit this year to evaluate. Good thing i havent planted it in-ground. It may or may not improve flavor here in our dry California weather.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 01:54:54 PM »
Me too, I did not think it would give me any doubt of it's worth, but it did. Now have to ride it out another year. If it sucks, the space will give me more room for another shaded structure for my figs, so I can't lose. lol

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 02:12:43 PM »
Me too, I did not think it would give me any doubt of it's worth, but it did. Now have to ride it out another year. If it sucks, the space will give me more room for another shaded structure for my figs, so I can't lose. lol

So far what are ur top 10 varieties this year?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 03:14:55 PM »

I should have let my  15 gal Phoenix hold fruit this year to evaluate. Good thing i havent planted it in-ground. It may or may not improve flavor here in our dry California weather.

15 gal Phoenix???  It was just released about a year and a half ago, how big could it have been in a 15 gal pot in California?
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 03:17:12 PM »

A lot of these trees will not show their true colors when allowed to hold fruit at 2 or 3 years old.  You are free to make your own choices but that way of evaluating is jumping the gun a bit...
- Rob

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 04:11:45 PM »

15 gal Phoenix???  It was just released about a year and a half ago, how big could it have been in a 15 gal pot in California?
This is what it looks like b4 it was sent to me last year.

https://ibb.co/bSf2UJ

(I was told i got the authentic phoenix unless something is cooking?)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 04:15:25 PM by gozp »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 05:36:55 PM »

You got that tree last year?  That tree looks to be about 8-10 feet tall?  While anything is possible, its a little suspicious to me.  I wont ask where it was from...

It also looked to be in no condition to hold any fruit.
- Rob

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 05:51:04 PM »

You got that tree last year?  That tree looks to be about 8-10 feet tall?  While anything is possible, its a little suspicious to me.  I wont ask where it was from...

True & its fairly small to hold fruits compare to a 3 gallon.

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 05:56:45 PM »

Well, you can see the Pine Island Fruitscapes sign in the background of the pic  ::) ::) ::) ::)

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 06:52:05 PM »
My Phoenix is well branched and about 8 ft. tall and can easily hold fruit for a good evaluation next year. I think that they will show what there made of right away and every variety I have grown over the decades has shown this, including the new Peach Cobbler which in it's second year of production, tastes the same as the first year. If it starts tasting better in a few years, than it's  a bonus!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 09:05:01 PM »

Well, you can see the Pine Island Fruitscapes sign in the background of the pic  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Gozp is in California, Fruitscapes does not ship trees to California...so with that being said...Why dont you go to Whole Foods and get another one of those delicious organic Tommy Atkins...
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 09:12:46 PM »
My Phoenix is well branched and about 8 ft. tall and can easily hold fruit for a good evaluation next year. I think that they will show what there made of right away and every variety I have grown over the decades has shown this, including the new Peach Cobbler which in it's second year of production, tastes the same as the first year. If it starts tasting better in a few years, than it's  a bonus!

I can see if your tree is 6+ months older and in the ground it could be 8 feet.

You may be able to get an idea from a young tree however taste will definitely improve with age.  I believe this to be true of trees on nursery stock and trees that have been top worked on a mature tree.

Coconut Cream is one that definitely improves with age, and I am talking 5+ years.  I believe Sweet Tart does as well.
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 09:14:08 PM »
too funny!

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 09:19:20 PM »
exactly, a very good idea and close to what it will be. And for the 7-8 varieties I have had, they are pretty close if not exactly what they were at 5 years or longer. I cannot speak for all the other varieties like C.C, I got rid of mine before trialing the fruit. You can usually tell what that fruit will become! Phoenix has me worried, I think it may be a flop!

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 09:22:43 PM »
BSB - Please look at the picture - the sign for Fruitscapes is in the background of the photo !!  Fruitscapes may not have shipped the tree to him but their sign is 100% in the background of that photo.  All i did was click on the photo and opened it up to get a better look at the tree and I saw the sign.  Maybe Fruitscapes doesn't ship to California but he clearly said that was a picture of his tree.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »

I wouldnt not get rid of that Phoenix just yet.  I just xut into this one and just as awesome as what I have had the last two years.  Its xompmexity is what you should like.

- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 09:35:26 PM »
exactly, a very good idea and close to what it will be. And for the 7-8 varieties I have had, they are pretty close if not exactly what they were at 5 years or longer. I cannot speak for all the other varieties like C.C, I got rid of mine before trialing the fruit. You can usually tell what that fruit will become! Phoenix has me worried, I think it may be a flop!

I got rid of my Coco Cream at my old house after 6 years due to tree's growth and poor qualities of the fruit.  At my new place, it is not one of the 21 varieties I have planted out..

Pineapple Pleasure may work as a partner on your Peach Cobbler.  They have two different fruiting seasons.
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 09:46:27 PM »
Wish I liked the fruit of P.P but do not. Would like to get Nancy, I would think it might work, watcha think?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 09:51:25 PM »
Wish I liked the fruit of P.P but do not. Would like to get Nancy, I would think it might work, watcha think?

Dont know enough about its ultimate growth habit and to me, not a fruit I was thrilled about.

What about Cac?
- Rob

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 10:01:52 PM »
Cac I only had it twice, not for me either time. I will not give up on Phoenix either. Was yours off of a grafted tree?