Author Topic: Anybody growing Phoenix canariensis as edible date palm?  (Read 2030 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Anybody growing Phoenix canariensis as edible date palm?
« on: September 15, 2016, 01:19:08 AM »
Before I planted these, I read that they're not very edible. Today I tried some, and found that they taste very good, just like the "real" dates, just  that the flesh/seed ratio is very low. Right now I  only have fruiting guavas and jujubes, so anything is better than nothing.  ;D

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody growing Phoenix canariensis as edible date palm?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 07:35:31 PM »
Good to know - I plan to do this with my 2 young Phoenix roebellenii/Pygmy date palms that were here when I bought the property. This was the first year they had flowers, but the flowers dropped without setting fruit, so I am hoping for next year. They look like they will make an awful lot of fruit when they do hold them, so I would like to make use of them. They are too healthy and happy where they are for me to feel right yanking them out, even though I would not have chosen to plant them myself. At least if they produce a lot of fruit, that should result in the same amount of flesh as maybe half the number of regular dates - which is just fine with me.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 09:17:23 PM »
The image in that photo looks small for canariensis.  I also have had a pleasant experience with the taste of the p. roebellini fruit although the edible pulp is not more than a film around the seed.
I have high hopes for the p. silvestris which supposedly is cultivated for fruit or at least actively collected.
Peter

mangomike

• USA Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 08:33:23 PM »
I have also eaten P.canariensis fruits and found them enjoyable but as you mentioned with a flesh to seed ratio inferior to P.dactylifera. I read an interesting article about California date growers than grow/use canariensis pollen to fertilize their (female) date palms; evidently the pollen has some beneficial effect on the crop characteristics. ( It's been many years since I read it)  I've often wondered what a hybrid palm might be like, since P dactylifera is dioecious and P canariensis monoecious. Oh well, is I had the land and a few more lifetimes...

siamid2444

• iraq
    • View Profile
    • https://basketbulk.com/properties-of-date-syrup/
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 11:23:11 AM »
Before I planted these, I read that they're not very edible. Today I tried some, and found that they taste very good, just like the "real" dates, just  that the flesh/seed ratio is very low. Right now I  only have fruiting guavas and jujubes, so anything is better than nothing.  ;D

https://basketbulk.com/date-fruit/
Everything you need to know about dates syrup health benefits:
Date syrup has many benefits, and it’s really nutritious. Consuming this food for breakfast gives you the energy you need during the day.
https://basketbulk.com/properties-of-date-syrup/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk