Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Pomello leaf drop

(1/5) > >>

Plantinyum:
My pomello is once again performing leaf drop. The plant is grafted onto a flying dragon rootstock. As u can see from the pics its in a heavy bloom mode right now and I was wondering if this is the reason for it to drop some of its leaves ,which look green and healthy (new and old leaves are falling) .Now I should mention that they did not practically fell on their own ,I was staking the plant and the fallen leaves fell with the slightest of touch.
Its been raining here on and off and  its soil is rather damp right now ,not soaking wet, yet damp.
Should I place the plant in my gh to avoid the soil getting more water?
In one of the pics u can see the quantity of buds I removed.

Millet:
As far as the blooms go, only about 1 to 1.5 percent of them will produce fruit.  Most blooms will eventually die on their own, or will set fruitlets, which will mostly drop (called June drop).  Research by Perdue University shows that one fruit left of a very small tree will not hurt the tree.  As to the leaf fall, I would ask two questions:  (1) how long has the tree been growing in that container without being transplanted, and (2) what is the blend of the growing medium that the tree is planted in?  Among the primary  reasons for leaf fall is a lack of soil air, and or a high level of soil CO2, both caused by soil compaction

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: Millet on June 13, 2021, 02:48:24 PM ---As far as the blooms go, only about 1 to 1.5 percent of them will produce fruit.  Most blooms will eventually die on their own, or will set fruitlets, which will mostly drop (called June drop).  Research by Perdue University shows that one fruit left of a very small tree will not hurt the tree.  As to the leaf fall, I would ask two questions:  (1) how long has the tree been growing in that container without being transplanted, and (2) what is the blend of the growing medium that the tree is planted in?  One of the primary  reasons for leaf fall is a lack of soil air, plus a high level of soil CO2, both caused by soil compaction

--- End quote ---
thanks for the feedback ,the tree was transplanted in this pot this spring , so root bound is not the case for sure. The soil is a mix of store bought soil for transplants and general pot culture and feeding, pine forest top soil and alot of perlite.
I kind of think it is the excess water that is persisting due to the rainy weather , thus I moved the plant in my smaller gh  to let it dry out a bit. My other citrus are all out in the same conditions, their soil is also like that, but they are not having the same problem yet....

Millet:
As you wrote, it  could be too much water (over wet medium) which would of course drive out the root zone oxygen.  However, to cause damage, the over watering (Flood effect) would have to be more than 2 days.

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: Millet on June 13, 2021, 04:35:17 PM ---As you wrote, it  could be too much water (over wet medium) which would of course drive out the root zone oxygen.  However, to cause damage, the over watering (Flood effect) would have to be more than 2 days.

--- End quote ---
yes its like that for around two weeks ,maybe more ..I think its word with the pomello since its newly up potted  and there are no roots yet to use the water.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version