Author Topic: Myrciaria newbie questions  (Read 689 times)

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
Myrciaria newbie questions
« on: July 09, 2020, 02:13:23 PM »
Hi there:

I purchased on impulse and planted a "Myrciaria sp., Escarlate" seed near the end of April this year.  The seed went into one of the 1.5"x1.5" six-pack pots, reused from some nursery seedling purchase.  "Soil" is a mix of coconut coir and perlite.  I kept it covered in south-facing window on a seedling mat inside.

It sprouted early-mid June, and then a couple weeks later relocated it outside to a warmish area that gets sun until about noon, shady rest of the day.  It hasn't really done much since, having remained as a tiny little sprout with a bud and no leaves since then - the bud has lengthened a bit in the past week.    I read up on jaboticaba and learned this happens on occasion.  I am coastal south-OC (southern california).

Here are a few questions:
1. what is the abbreviation "sp." for ?
2. what should I do next:
  a) move to a 4" pot?  When?
  b) bring it back indoors?
  c) put it in better soil mix now, such as a 5-1-1 that's acidic in the 5.5-6.5 range?
3. "feeding" plans, anything extra needs to be done for best success?  I did the below mostly on a whim, was not planned
  a) I gave a small drink of 1/2 strength DG foliage pro mid june
  b) yesterday while watering other outdoor plants, I gave it a light watering with a normal dose of a 2-2-2 fish/seaweed/molasses fertilizer (something I picked up last year from HD, "Kellogg" brand).

Thank you for your time!

Picture!

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Myrciaria newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 03:09:27 PM »
How often do you water the soil? It looks like it fizzled ? Too dry?
It may push again if the seed is ok?
I planted 6  jabo seeds and 5 of them pushed and sprouted into nice little seedlings
and over a month later the 6th one is pushing today. I wouldn't give anything
but water to seeds. When it has leaves I give a small pinch of Epsoma Hollytone

The sp. stands for species

The scarlate jaboticaba is a red crossed back with a white.
The red is thought to be   cauliflora X aureana
So the scarlate is thought to be the red cross  cauliflora X aureana crossed with aureana

strom

• so cal, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 03:37:41 PM »
The picture makes it look dry, but in person it appears to be alive and fine.  I keep the soil moist, how often depends on temp and sun here.  Maybe I'll take it back indoors until it has leaves?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 03:47:41 PM »
If it's been moist then good. Keep it moist and wait.
I have my seeds on a lanai that gets a couple hours of indirect morning sun.
I actually leave all my jabo seedlings there for 1-2 years. I am in very humid Florida.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk