Author Topic: Second Bloom = Zero Mangos  (Read 1362 times)

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
Second Bloom = Zero Mangos
« on: March 21, 2020, 08:54:03 AM »
My big ol' Cogshall surprised me this season.  It had an unusually early bloom and about half the tree sent up pannicles in January.  A lot of fruit held and I already have a good number of mangos swinging from the tree.  A good sight, indeed.  A month later in February the tree sent up another bloom with many pannicles and flowers.  But this second bloom produced zero mangos.  Looking at the tree I can't find even one BB sized mango.  The flowers are gone and the pannicles are beginning to fall.  What went wrong?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Second Bloom = Zero Mangos
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 09:08:00 AM »
My big ol' Cogshall surprised me this season.  It had an unusually early bloom and about half the tree sent up pannicles in January.  A lot of fruit held and I already have a good number of mangos swinging from the tree.  A good sight, indeed.  A month later in February the tree sent up another bloom with many pannicles and flowers.  But this second bloom produced zero mangos.  Looking at the tree I can't find even one BB sized mango.  The flowers are gone and the pannicles are beginning to fall.  What went wrong?

Could be due to bad male/female flower ratio and/or fungus.

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 09:37:33 AM »
I don't see much in the way of fungus, but the tree is pretty big, (by the way, how did Cogshall get a rep as a "dwarf"?  This tree is close to 20 feet tall ???).  With the tree being this size I don't know what's going on up top.
As for the male/female flower aspect, that's a new one by me.  What affects this ratio and how is flower gender identified?  Is it even politically correct to do so?? :)

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 09:59:10 AM »
I don't see much in the way of fungus, but the tree is pretty big, (by the way, how did Cogshall get a rep as a "dwarf"?  This tree is close to 20 feet tall ???).  With the tree being this size I don't know what's going on up top.
As for the male/female flower aspect, that's a new one by me.  What affects this ratio and how is flower gender identified?  Is it even politically correct to do so?? :)

Technically the “female” flowers are hermaphroditic because they contain both parts.

Many mangos are genetically prone to producing lots of females (e.g. Florigon or Duncan). Others vary considerably bloom-to-bloom, like Carrie. But temperatures before the flowers open have a determining impact on whether they express male or female.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 10:43:33 AM »
In addition to the second  bloom being a near total washout, I have been seeing lots of mangoes of considerable size (bigger than an Alano sapodilla) on the ground. What could be the reason? Could dryness of the soil be a factor? I watered the trees yesterday and today...hope  that makes a difference.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 10:54:10 AM »
Truly Tropical has a video on this. Ms Wenzel was saying that she thought the poor fruit set was due to the high winds we had, which caused unfavorable conditions for pollinators.

It's been hit and miss for me. Some trees had good fruit set, others very poor on the second bloom.

Fruit drop is normal this time of year. It has been perhaps slightly more than usual this year for the simple reason that fruit set was outstanding on that first bloom. Larger fruited mangos will drop fruits when smaller (this is how they are able to produce larger fruit). You want to see one or two fruits per panicle max. If the tree holds too many fruits, they turn out small (sweet tart has a tendency to do this), in which case you may want to actually prune away some of the fruit.
Jeff  :-)

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 10:58:05 AM »
True about the winds here in our area.  February and early March were gusty as heck.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 12:06:31 PM »
Truly Tropical has a video on this. Ms Wenzel was saying that she thought the poor fruit set was due to the high winds we had, which caused unfavorable conditions for pollinators.

It's been hit and miss for me. Some trees had good fruit set, others very poor on the second bloom.

Fruit drop is normal this time of year. It has been perhaps slightly more than usual this year for the simple reason that fruit set was outstanding on that first bloom. Larger fruited mangos will drop fruits when smaller (this is how they are able to produce larger fruit). You want to see one or two fruits per panicle max. If the tree holds too many fruits, they turn out small (sweet tart has a tendency to do this), in which case you may want to actually prune away some of the fruit.
You are spot on about sweet tart.
The branches that have fruit have up to 5 in a cluster in some cases.  I know I will be reducing them down to a couple on each but I was hoping the plant will help out bu dumping some.  It did when they were smaller, a few turned yellow and dropped.  Now they are sizing up and I will have to remove several fruits.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 12:22:02 PM »
Of my trees, Carrie and Beverly were terrible the first go around.  Lots of flowers but no fruit set.  Both have flowers right now and the Carrie is still flowering.  Nothing close to the early bloom.  I hope to see some fruits this cycle.

My Choc anon has been a machine and is likely on a mission to kill itself because there is no way it can carry the density of fruits it is trying to push.  The early bloom had a decent fruit set.  The later bloom is just ending and there are tiny fruits, multiple on each panicle. I expect significant fruit drop over the next month or two. 

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 02:00:21 PM »

The fruit set on Mallika, Florigon and  NDM #4 on the first bloom was exceptional, but really poor on all three during the second bloom. Same is the case with Cotton Candy, which is fruiting in my yard for the first time. CC, Florigon and NDM #4 have been dropping more mangoes than I thought they would, but I don't see the issue with Mallika. 

As expected, the fruit set on Carrie on the first bloom was poor. I expected the considerable  second bloom to produce more fruits,  but that has not been the case. Not much luck on the second bloom with Valcarrie, Bailey's Marvel, Edgar, Ugly Betty (as usual) and Kesar.  Lemon Merngue did't even have a second bloom and only one side of the tree flowered this year.

Surprised by White Pirie. Small tree, just one fruit from the first bloom but holding on to quite a few tiny fruits on the second bloom. Too early to tell though.

Squam256

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 02:19:03 PM »
Our fruit set was excellent on both blooms. Biggest issue for us is canopy that did not bloom.

Winds here are consistently high due to our close proximity to the ocean.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 03:52:35 PM »
3 fungus infected mangos I already ate as a fluke early bloom. Then early bloom with primarily Glen holding still but now Glen is in bloom again and thus some of 1st are falling due to lack of nutrients including water and also due to colder weather in earlier bloom causing more fungal issues on fruit since I did not spray fungicides early and just did it once about a week ago.

I believe the warmer 80 + degree weather has significantly decreased the fungal issues on my trees and am seeing more clean bb size mangos holding on other varieties. I actually see many bb size fruit on my Keitt (prone to fungal loss sometimes of all fruit) and Madem Francis (almost always no fruit  due to total fungal loss at my location). I am hopeful for this to be the 1st year since 3 to 4 years to once again eat a Madem Francis mango; assuming fungus does not devour them all and they look clean now.

The only bad to the hot weather for me is lack of moisture so I am pulling the hose pipe around to the small trees. It's giving me a workout & I am staying in good physical condition with the workout.

Rehash, this current bloom is giving me many more clean bb size fruit IMO due to the heat & I am hopefull for some rain in a week to keep them on the trees without aborting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk