Author Topic: Not Shan Eat Well yard tour 2021  (Read 1976 times)

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Not Shan Eat Well yard tour 2021
« on: May 04, 2021, 09:47:40 PM »
Been meaning to do this for a while. If you’re interested in any particular plants check my forum profile. My soil is blue green clay.

https://youtu.be/Dsnn3WSrZCc
https://youtu.be/E5Hsz8GKlAU
https://youtu.be/isUD8H2AeAQ
https://youtu.be/Zv8SoJIr-Dg
Shane

socalbalcony

• California, South OC, 10B
    • View Profile
    • IG
Re: Not Shan Eat Well yard tour 2021
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 11:35:04 AM »
epic, this is goals

socalbalcony

• View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 11:45:17 AM »
whoops, my whole comment didn't post, the front yard is so loaded, I'm guessing you managed to find a nice community with no HOA? housing inventory is super low, and ones without HOA seem even lower :/

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 11:55:42 AM »
That was a great tour, thanks for putting in that time

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 02:05:23 PM »
Thanks. I'm glad i got it recorded in its entirety at least once. With regard the the HOA, we have one. And officially I'm probably violating something about landscaping. But like county regulations, its almost entirely enforced by complaint. So if there's a Karen running around making notes on everything, you're screwed. If your neighbors are cool, you're fine. How do you figure that out ahead of time? Maybe don't buy where all the landscaping and house colors are meticulously maintained? But you don't need to avoid HOAs entirely.

I have an HOA story actually. A few months ago, someone got notified about a free standing basketball hoop in the street. A different neighbor then organized writing and signing a letter to the HOA from our entire street telling them that we all were happy with it being there and suggesting moving to the sidewalk instead of entirely removing it. Then the complainant piped up and the HOA kicked it back to all of us to resolve amongst ourselves. So even with complaints its sometimes possible to resolve things amicably. Anyway, the only letter I've ever gotten was for leaving a stinking pile of mulch in my driveway for too long. Not for planting fruit trees. Neighbors love the fruit trees.
Shane

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 02:21:56 PM »
The title  :)
I myself am guilty of reading your username as Shan eatwell.
Looking at all the fruit trees in your yard, you must be eating well (all the fruits).
Nice video tour, is that filmed by BonsaiBeast?

FruitFool

Kuhyay

• Zone 10a
    • San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 03:10:55 PM »
Shane,

You have a gorgeous garden! That white sapote looks really happy. Which variety is your favorite?

Kenny

socalbalcony

• View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 03:12:01 PM »
Thanks. I'm glad i got it recorded in its entirety at least once. With regard the the HOA, we have one. And officially I'm probably violating something about landscaping. But like county regulations, its almost entirely enforced by complaint. So if there's a Karen running around making notes on everything, you're screwed. If your neighbors are cool, you're fine. How do you figure that out ahead of time? Maybe don't buy where all the landscaping and house colors are meticulously maintained? But you don't need to avoid HOAs entirely.

I have an HOA story actually. A few months ago, someone got notified about a free standing basketball hoop in the street. A different neighbor then organized writing and signing a letter to the HOA from our entire street telling them that we all were happy with it being there and suggesting moving to the sidewalk instead of entirely removing it. Then the complainant piped up and the HOA kicked it back to all of us to resolve amongst ourselves. So even with complaints its sometimes possible to resolve things amicably. Anyway, the only letter I've ever gotten was for leaving a stinking pile of mulch in my driveway for too long. Not for planting fruit trees. Neighbors love the fruit trees.

Sounds very reasonable, I will speculate there are probably less Karens down there compared to here..
I'm very surprised so many things seem to be doing well in Carlsbad, I assumed since its near the beach the salty air would interfere with the more sensitive things like jabo, is there a variety you would say does the best there?

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 04:15:08 PM »
Kuhyay, First year for the white sapote and only two holding fruit: Cuccio and Lemon Gold

socalbalcony, we're about 4 miles from the beach and over a hill, so salt air not much of an issue. clay on the other hand... and my jabo is not really growing, it flowers and fruits but minimal growth in 5 years. some trees are super happy though with a couple surprises.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 04:56:49 PM by shaneatwell »
Shane

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 07:36:43 PM »
Man, guess I can't complain about my sandy red clay soil here in central SD. Very nice garden. No avocado trees or did I miss that?

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 07:44:03 PM »
~12:00 in 2nd video.
Shane

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 09:33:56 PM »
Oh gosh, don't know how I missed (or forgot) that.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 08:31:37 AM »
Nice yard shane, my favorite is your multigrafted citrus tree, I can’t image how lovely that must smell as citrus blooms are very high on my list of smells. If you ever want to consider selling just random seeds of some of the fruit I’d like to buy them and gamble on growing them out, that whole tree is a hybrid breeding project in itself. Good luck with your kumquat cross experiment as well 👍

-joe

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 09:57:59 AM »
Shane, great videos! I’m glad to finally see your yard. That motivates me to clean up my unkept yard. Some hOAs can be a pain in the ass but sounds like you’ve got great neighbors and a reasonable HOA. Beautiful yard!

Simon

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 10:31:08 AM »
Watched yesterday very nice garden tour Shane, thank for posting 8)

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 12:23:08 PM »
Great job on the yard and garden. A beautiful work in progress. Fun to watch. Looking forward to updates and seeing how everything grows out.

Agree with Joe, that citrus multi-graft is badass!! 

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 01:15:44 PM »
Nice yard shane, my favorite is your multigrafted citrus tree, I can’t image how lovely that must smell as citrus blooms are very high on my list of smells. If you ever want to consider selling just random seeds of some of the fruit I’d like to buy them and gamble on growing them out, that whole tree is a hybrid breeding project in itself. Good luck with your kumquat cross experiment as well 👍

-joe

Yes and of course. Free of charge. Keep only the mandarin, finger lime, meyer lemon & pomelo seeds right? Since most of the rest will be mostly nucellar? Thoughts on storage? Washed, moist and refridgerated?

http://thebellhouse.weebly.com/citrus-breeding.html
Shane

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2021, 11:39:44 PM »
Very cool videos and fruitscape.  The camera man was straight comedy.  Even the dogs gave me a good chuckle.
Jealous of your flowering jabo.  It will be years before mine flower like that, but they sure love the heat out here.  Mine are only a couple years old, but they have put on a ton of new growth over the winter and spring.  I love your multigraft citrus.  One of these days, I will get around to grafting over some of my large valencia orange trees.  Great fruit, but I could use a bit more variety.
Thanks for sharing your slice of paradise.  It gave me some ideas.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 12:33:21 PM »
Yeah Mark is great. You might recognize him or Liz in the video below :)  He actually bought me that Jabo 7 or 8 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlzGzBjFXuY
Shane

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 01:03:24 PM »
Very nice yard Shane - most trees seem happy despite the clay soil. Thanks for the tour. You have many cool plants that I don’t know.

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 11:57:00 AM »
Nice video's  Shane, I do'not remember seeing a pool?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 12:45:41 PM »
Citrus seeds are prohibited from being shipped into Florida.

Bash me all you want but shouldn't we try and protect Florida's industry?
- Rob