Author Topic: What pot shape for Mangos?  (Read 4007 times)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
What pot shape for Mangos?
« on: May 23, 2012, 08:42:38 PM »
Hi all, I have some Mango trees that I got several weeks ago.  They are from Florida so I'm assuming they are on turpentine rootstock.  My plan is to up pot the 3 gallons to 7 gallons and the 7 gallons to 15 gallons.  My question is this, what shape does a turpentine rootstock want to grow?  Does it grow deep and narrow or wide and shallow.  I can get the regular 15 gallon pots or the 15 gallons that are wider but not as deep.  Since I can get either one I figure I might as well try to get the right shaped one.

Thanks,
Bill

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What pot shape for Mangos?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:59:54 PM »
Hi all, I have some Mango trees that I got several weeks ago.  They are from Florida so I'm assuming they are on turpentine rootstock.  My plan is to up pot the 3 gallons to 7 gallons and the 7 gallons to 15 gallons.  My question is this, what shape does a turpentine rootstock want to grow?  Does it grow deep and narrow or wide and shallow.  I can get the regular 15 gallon pots or the 15 gallons that are wider but not as deep.  Since I can get either one I figure I might as well try to get the right shaped one.

Thanks,
Bill
Just go with the "standard" 15 gal nursery pot.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »

Thanks,
Bill

Go wider! Cut the taproot and go go wider. Not sure what cutting the tap root and going wider would do.. but I hope you will find out and report back to us.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:05:36 PM »

Thanks,
Bill
Nice, have him experiment on trees shipped from Florida  ::) :P

I think you should be the one to experiment for the rest of us... ;) :)

Go wider! Cut the taproot and go go wider. Not sure what cutting the tap root and going wider would do.. but I hope you will find out and report back to us.
- Rob

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 01:00:31 PM »
Ok, standard shaped pots it is! The thing that got me thinking is that my 7 gallon Maha Chanok that came from Excalibur was in a wide shallow 7 gallon.  I thought maybe they knew something I didn't and I should ask before I buy a bunch of the wrong shaped pots.  Thanks for the help.

Bill

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »
Ok, standard shaped pots it is! The thing that got me thinking is that my 7 gallon Maha Chanok that came from Excalibur was in a wide shallow 7 gallon.  I thought maybe they knew something I didn't and I should ask before I buy a bunch of the wrong shaped pots.  Thanks for the help.

Bill
Excalibur does not use a "wide" 7 gallon.  Where did you purchase the Mahachanok from ?  Plantogram, ?  Most likely they up-potted it from a 3 into a 7 and they chose the use of that pot.
- Rob

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »
Yes, Plantogram.  It is my understanding Plantogram buys their Maha Chanoks from Excalibur.  POG must have used the pot.

Bill

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 04:50:40 PM »
This is my own personal preference only...but I prefer the wider shallower pot whenever its available. Mainly because its sturdier and less likely to NOT tip over on windy days. Don't have any other reason other than that.

Nancy

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
This is my own personal preference only...but I prefer the wider shallower pot whenever its available. Mainly because its sturdier and less likely to NOT tip over on windy days. Don't have any other reason other than that.

Nancy
For early development of the mango's tap root and healthy root system, I would say the standard pot would be more beneficial fr the tree.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 10:57:06 PM »
For early development of the mango's tap root and healthy root system, I would say the standard pot would be more beneficial fr the tree.

I see the benefit of a tap root if the tree will eventually be planted in the ground but it the person plans to keep it in a container I am not sure if they really need to worry about maintaining a deep tap root. I think you can have a very healthy root system in a wide shallow pot.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 08:18:09 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.  I do plan on putting most of these trees in the ground next spring.  I want to keep them in pots for this winter so they are easier to protect from the cold.  So I do want a good tap root.  And since the standard pots are easier to find I am using those.  Thanks for the info.

Bill