Author Topic: 7 on 1 inverted bud grafts  (Read 1437 times)

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
7 on 1 inverted bud grafts
« on: August 29, 2019, 12:22:41 PM »
Here is a photo of a bud graft of 7 individual scions onto 1 Poncirus rootstock. All 7 buds "took", and 4 quickly pushed new growth. A 5th bud began to push in the last week. 2 buds remain dormant at this time. They were budded using inverted T-buds. I had done several hundred T-buds in the past, mostly on Prunus cultivars. These were the first inverted T-buds I did and they did great.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 03:01:14 PM by kumin »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: 7 on 1 inverted bud grafts
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 02:55:39 PM »
Nice going.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 07:40:21 AM »
Pretty Cool.  I just Did (7) inverted T-bud grafts to four different Rich 16-6 trifoliate rootstocks. Temperatures are warm right now so I am hoping for a high take rate also.

will2358

• USA, Peachtree City, GA, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 10:37:06 PM »
Were these all grafted on the same day. If not, how long is a proper time to wait between graphs? Also can you put multiple varieties, such as lemon, limes and oranges, on the same root stock?
My name is Cindy

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 04:33:25 AM »
All 7 were bud grafted at the same time. Any graft compatible scion (bud) could have been used. Since this plant was specifically prepared for a colleague, the recipient will have to force the remaining 2 buds. When multi- grafting cultivars with disparity in vigor, the scions need to be managed to prevent the more vigorous ones from dominating and crowding out the slower growing scions.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 04:51:06 AM by kumin »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 10:06:25 AM »
Exactly, scion growth regulation of the various grafted varieties is always a concern with multi grafted trees.  In Joe Real's 100+ variety tree he  partially controlled this  problem by where on the tree he placed the more vigorous scions.  However, pruning was still required.

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 12:59:49 PM »
Viruses like citrus tristeza could also be a problem, more grafts you add , higher is a chance that one of the buds is infected and bring a disease to the whole tree.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 08:11:05 AM »
The second bud scion from the bottom shows continuing vigorous growth. The uppermost bud has made more modest growth. These buds originated from seeds planted in March of 2019. By paying close attention to timing it's possible to go from seed to forced buds and new grafted trees in the same year. It is too late to repeat this outdoors again in this area.