Author Topic: Off Topic: Palm talk advice  (Read 1995 times)

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
Off Topic: Palm talk advice
« on: January 24, 2017, 02:13:11 PM »
Sorry for the completely off topic post but I love this forum...it is so informative...and I'm looking for something similar related to palm talk.  The only thing I've found so far is a forum called Palmtalk.org but I've been "awaiting verification" since Saturday.  I can't log in to post.  I have some transplanted sabal palms that I need some serous TLC asap.  I was hoping somebody here might know of another useful discussion community for palms.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic: Palm talk advice
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 02:39:07 PM »
How big are the palms?  When were they transplanted?  What care have they gotten since they were transplanted?

Pictures?
- Rob

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:31:23 PM »
Small, the biggest ones has about 3ft to the crown, where all the branches are eminating from.  The smallest about 1.5ft.  2 of them look fine with new green coming up (or at least it appears that way), one has what appears to be a rotting out crown, although the remaining branches are nice and green, and the last one (the smallest) I had to do a hurricane cut but it looks like maybe there's some green growth coming up.  Watering via the rotors once a day then I go out and water with a hose once a day, for over a month now.  My main question is...for the one where it still has green leaves but I was able to pull out rotting crown growth is it a goner?

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 05:32:39 PM »
Forgot to add, these are palms that I had the seawall guys try to carefully dig up when they were digging out for the sea wall.  I know they tried to save as much root as possible but there's only so much they could do.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 06:57:16 PM »
Rotting crown usually means death, even if the outside fronds are still green or somewhat green.

When tranplanting palms, expecially Sabals, I would usually cut the fronds just above the base of the fan portion.  The palm doesnt need the whole leaf plus it releaves some of the stress on the plam and especially the crown.  If no supplements moisture gel pack was placed under the rootball, the palms would require a constant moisture source/hose watering for a month or so when first planted.
- Rob

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 07:22:50 PM »
Thanks, yeah I don't hold out much hope for the palm whose crown stems I was mostly able to pull out easily.  Just not sure how much time I should give it before i give up completely.  I have watered the palms daily for over a month.  They get the rotors from the sprinkler system once a day then I come out and water them with a hose once a day.  I'm guessing I can probably cut back by now.

tropicbreeze

• Top End NT Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
Palms sometimes recover from spear-pull. People give the crown a drenching with fungicide and then it's in the hands of the gods. Worth a try as you've got nothing to lose and you might be lucky. Daconil was one of the fungicides I've seen recommended but there are probably also others suitable as well. The remaining fronds can stay green for quite a long time if the plant doesn't survive so patience is necessary.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 09:12:37 PM »
Thanks, yeah I don't hold out much hope for the palm whose crown stems I was mostly able to pull out easily.  Just not sure how much time I should give it before i give up completely.  I have watered the palms daily for over a month.  They get the rotors from the sprinkler system once a day then I come out and water them with a hose once a day.  I'm guessing I can probably cut back by now.

Yeah, if the crown can be pulled out, odds are not great but no real harm in monitoring.   In the future, best to have temporary bubblers at the base to water the rootball instead of spray rotors.  They also make some great moisture packs that you place under the rootball which provides a slow moisture release under the rootball.
- Rob

bbates123

• Cape Coral, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 03:07:12 AM »
Thanks for the advice on the fungicide...I hadn't thought of that.  Hopefully it's not too late.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk