Author Topic: Signs of MBBS  (Read 1244 times)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Signs of MBBS
« on: February 07, 2020, 12:27:21 PM »
Does MBBS only show itself in the fruit?  At what stage of development of the fruit does it appear?  I have a Providence mango tree that blossomed and set fruit for the first time this year.  The fruit is marble-size and a little larger now, and the fruit looks perfect.  Is it possible that this tree will remain disease-free for now and even for many years?
John

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Signs of MBBS
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 03:52:30 PM »
The leaf version of MBBS is not a problem. The MBBS strain that attacks the fruit is a problem.

You can differentiate MBBS from anthracnose by looking for cracks / fissures (sometimes in a star pattern) in the black spots, which generally indicates MBBS. Might need a magnifying glass this early in the season. I've already been seeing MBBS this year on Venus and Lemon Zest. Fortunately, the trees have already aborted the majority of the infected fruits and we have a second bloom coming on.
Jeff  :-)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 10:02:13 PM »
Does anyone know if a foliar spray with something like 3% Hydrogen Peroxide would kill the MBBS?

Simon

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 12:35:10 AM »
Does anyone know if a foliar spray with something like 3% Hydrogen Peroxide would kill the MBBS?

Simon

There is a hydrogen peroxide product called Oxidate that a grower I know used a couple years ago and it was pretty worthless.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 12:40:53 AM »
Does MBBS only show itself in the fruit?  At what stage of development of the fruit does it appear?

It can actually show up in any stage of fruit development. Lesions can begin forming when the fruit are pea sized all the way until just shortly before maturity after having been clean for months. It’s a factor of weather conditions and level of pathogen in the area.

The strain we have doesn’t necessarily manifest as leaf spot ( though it may), but very often creates black wounds in the panicles and stems.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 09:08:52 AM »
Does MBBS only show itself in the fruit?  At what stage of development of the fruit does it appear?

It can actually show up in any stage of fruit development. Lesions can begin forming when the fruit are pea sized all the way until just shortly before maturity after having been clean for months. It’s a factor of weather conditions and level of pathogen in the area.

The strain we have doesn’t necessarily manifest as leaf spot ( though it may), but very often creates black wounds in the panicles and stems.
So level of pathogen in my immediate area will determine if my Providence tree is affected?  Basically it could stay clean for years or succumb at any time?
John

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 01:15:24 PM »
I think the bacteria is pretty much everywhere at this point. (Hurricanes and wildlife seem to be particularly adept at spreading the stuff.) But level of infection is determined by climatic factors and cultural conditions. Lower rain / humidity will mean less infection, as will better airflow. Anything that contributes to fungal / bacterial growth will allow MBBS to thrive. You can also help mitigate MBBS with a fortnightly copper spray routine.

I don't know about providence's particular resistance to MBBS.

So level of pathogen in my immediate area will determine if my Providence tree is affected?  Basically it could stay clean for years or succumb at any time?
Jeff  :-)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 05:52:57 PM »

Simon

There is a hydrogen peroxide product called Oxidate that a grower I know used a couple years ago and it was pretty worthless.

Thanks for the info, that’s good to know.

Simon