Author Topic: Is this a "NDM" mango?  (Read 1223 times)

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
Is this a "NDM" mango?
« on: September 17, 2019, 02:59:24 AM »
The 4yrs old budwood I obtained from my own "NamDocMai" mango is now holding a single fruit on a Manila rootstock for the first time. (While the original grafted NDM tree I bought in Sept. 2014 did not produce any fruit yet).
But from the looks of it, I am doubtful if it is an NDM if I compare it to other NDM mango photos elsewhere:

Hope someone(s) can help me guesstimate of what kind of mango do I have instead?
Sam

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a "NDM" mango?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 04:47:23 AM »
Looks like it may be a 'Peggy'.
A variety recommended for SoCal, it surely isn't NDM, would have split by now.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 06:30:12 AM »
That’s not a Nam doc Mai, let us know how it taste.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:07:22 PM »
Not even a mango but a green peach!!! Sure the budwood not from peach tree or White Sapote? Sure it is not NDM which is more like a S shape.

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 10:27:31 PM »
If it were not for the leaves and the smell, yes it could possibly pass as a White Sapote too...! :D
Oolie, can't find info on "Peggy"; did you probably meant "Betty", as in Ugly Betty?
Yes, I'll describe how does it taste in a few weeks.

By the way, I bought that grafted tree labelled as "NDM" from a guy named "Charlie" of Champa Nursery in El Monte, CA; which few people here recommend, but I guess I got one that was incorrectly labelled, all is not loss however, since it looks like I got a decent looking fruit...
Thanks for your replies, guys!
Sam

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 10:55:53 PM »

The last Mango we sampled was the Peggy. This mango has a yellow base color with just a very slight pink blush. This mango is fatter and more rounded than the Leo 2. It also has more prominent lenticels. This mango was the best tasting of the three we sampled so far. It had a stronger flavor and perfect sugar acid balance. It also had a Brix reading of 23% but the added acid balance and slight mango turpene flavor components pushed it over the top.

Simon

It seems I had spoken too soon regarding Peggy not having rich flavor.  The 2nd of those two mangoes sat out a week longer, without any sign of breaking down, tasted fantastic.  It was sweeter and whatever acidity the 1st fruit had was not detected at all in this mango.  I dare to venture a turf war in say this mango is better than Pickering ;D

Absolutely worth growing for SoCal, don't know if it's proven elsewhere.

Of the mangoes sampled that day, many of us agreed Peggy was clearly the breadwinner.  Not as rich compared to others I've had, but outstanding flavor nonetheless.  Very sweet with a light sub-acid balance that sits just right, very juicy flavor - does that make any sense? 

Monoembryonic seed
Firm flesh
Fiberless
Sweet & nice aroma even before cut open

Samu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 11:33:33 PM »
Wow, that is plenty of info about "Peggy" mango, right here at this forum; interestingly I couldn't find any when I Googled it earlier.
Thanks a lot Oolie!
Sam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk