Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers

Author Topic: Recommend Interstock for grafting Atemoya on to Pond Apple  (Read 1464 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend Interstock for grafting Atemoya on to Pond Apple
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 02:45:07 AM »
I am beginning to thinks some cherimoya may be graft compatible with pond apple, at least better than atemoya.

I did a thorough inspection of the trees and in addition to the Licia it appears boothe and white also appear to be growing.  Inca red did not take.

I couldn't get 'Inca Red' to take either.
Do you have access to Licia?
Perhaps you can try to replicate my experiment.  You can put the Inca Red on after Licia if it takes.
Some patience needed but you may get your plant.
I have assumed your root stock is pond apple too.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2018, 10:53:46 PM »
Quick update.
For more than 12 days over the last month or so we had enough rain to have 6 inches of water on the ground where one of the pond apples I grafted on to stood.  The water flowed sometimes but was stagnant other times.

Two of the grafts that had pushed died back.  Looked like they dried up.  This did not occur on the same day (separated by about 2 weeks) and did not happen to several other grafts on the same tree.

I am not sure if something happened to the graft themselves during the heavy downpours or if the submerged roots stresses the tree (and somehow killed off a grafted branch, or perhaps the take was not properly healed and the wind and rains caused it to move or disconnect.  but am curious if anyone can shed some light on what I am seeing.

You can see the wilted dead branches.

There are many more on this same plant that are just fine.  Two branches actually have flowers.  I intend to remove them if the plant does not do that first.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 03:04:07 PM by Orkine »

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2018, 10:06:13 AM »
The grafts shifting or vibrating during wind storms can certainly kill them.

Species that are adaptable to flooding still under-go stress by sudden change.  Then they adjust, adapt.

When TREC tested Soursop trees to find how long they could be flooded, they put containerized Soursops in 5-gallon pails of stagnant water.  The Soursops looked seriously stress, wilted, for a couple of weeks, but then they got over it and grew completely normally from then on.  The experiment was terminated at the end of one year.

It wouldn't be surprising for grafts to be killed by such a period of stress.  They can definitely also be killed by drought.
Har

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 03:12:05 PM »
Thanks, Har, I am leaning towards the vibration.  I had removed the tape and when I took a close look after cutting it off yesterday, it was clear that while there was good connected in some parts much of the union had not fused.  It could have done better still tied together for a while.

I hope we don't get serious winds for a wile, I removed the tape on several of the grafts, I am hoping not too early.

Copyright © Tropical Fruit Forum - International Tropical Fruit Growers