Author Topic: Thailand fruits in December question.  (Read 1151 times)

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
Thailand fruits in December question.
« on: August 27, 2016, 04:29:01 PM »
I'll be going to Thailand in December. I've googled but didn't find anything out of the ordinary about the fruits available during that time of the year. The list had guava, papaya, banana and other widely cultivated fruits etc. Is there anything else that will be available in markets? Ill also have the regular fruits as well since they are gonna be of different varieties than the ones cultivated in India.
-Nakul

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Thailand fruits in December question.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:29:43 PM »
Was in Thailand once in December and managed to get off season durians and mangosteens, You have to go to special supermarket and ofcourse price will be a lot higher than normal.
Oscar

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 03:07:42 AM »

kluai (banana, I prefer kluai hom and kluai khai), ma-phrao, noi-na, Dragonfruit - pitaya is fine but if buying from markets not frequently visited by foreigners ask for gao mung gorn. small vietnamese ones are sweeter compared to the Thai-grown ones (which are bigger but taste is too watery), thu-rian,  a-ngun, farang, khanun, lamyai, linchi, ma-muang (mango, eat the green crunchy ones with namprik), mangkhut, malako, saparrod, som-o, ngor, chomphu, la-mut, som - pardon my pidgin Thai.  :)

If you want to buy dried fruits/chips I'd recommend visiting Chinatown and buying from the shops there - I don't know they just seem fresher? Like generic jak chips I bought from some shop I passed tasted off so I threw it away. But those I bought from Chinatown were crunchier and still have that distinct jak taste.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

nakulv1

• Mumbai, India, Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 02:52:30 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Mangosteen, rambutan and durian are the ones I'm excited about.
-Nakul