Author Topic: Sourcing tree pots  (Read 1581 times)

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Sourcing tree pots
« on: February 11, 2019, 02:21:11 PM »
Where does everyone get their tree pots?
I have yet to try locally, but I'm looking for some tree pots for some cherimoyas and moringas.
I'll be calling my orchard supply today but I was looking around online and have not had much luck finding any without a hefty shipping fee.

Preferably the pots should be re-usable as I hate just using a pot once and it falling apart..
-Kris

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Sourcing tree pots
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 02:39:28 PM »
I've ordered direct from Steuwe & Sons and also have gotten stuff from Greenhouse Megastore.com

Happy with both.

Good luck

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 02:42:22 PM »
you might want to ask your landscaper (if you use one). They tend to have access to free extras.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 02:44:52 PM »
you might want to ask your landscaper (if you use one). They tend to have access to free extras.

Good point. Here, Lowe's stacks used pots on a particular rack and they're free for the taking. They do tend to be mostly smaller pots, though, in my limited experience. Your mileage may vary.

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 03:10:01 PM »
I get alot of free pots from a local nursery, but they don't ever have any tree pots.
I'll try calling around as I'm surrounded by orchards (stone fruits)
Glad to hear about good experiances with greenhouse megastore... I've nearly ordered from them twice now. :)

Thanks guys!
-Kris

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 06:33:16 PM »
Try your local city, county or state grounds maintenance guys. When I worked for the State of Idaho, once word got out that I was crazy and "collected" 30 gallon pots, they appeared at my desk with great frequency! Only thing that makes me sorry I retired!

Carolyn

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 06:48:56 PM »
I did some quick research on tree roots many years ago and I prefer these pots
https://www.stuewe.com
They may be more expensive but they are worth it.

The size of the pot will depend on what you’re growing and how long you plan to keep it in that pot before up potting.

Do not plant a small tree in a huge pot. It will grow better if you step up the pot gradually. Doing this will also utilize the soil, nutrients and water more efficiently.

When planting seedlings, new sprouts( Cherimoya or mango for example) can grow a very long tap root in a very short amount of time. It can grow 8-12 inches deep in no time.

Simon