Author Topic: Blueberry flower bud freeze damage??  (Read 727 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Blueberry flower bud freeze damage??
« on: April 02, 2021, 05:45:43 AM »
Two of my blueberry variety bushes , one unknown and two bluecrops have a problem with their flower buds. Their buds started swelling very early in the winter ,like december but stayed closed, just had plumped up. Now the one unknown had several flower buds ,and when inspecting them I found out they are dead/ brown inside ....the bluecrops also have fully dead buds, but the majority of them just have their bracts dried out, but the will tiny flower dots between them seem alive .....is this cold burn ?? I really think this is due to the waking up and plumping before the coldest of the winter, the others which had not plumped in the fall are as regular starting to do it now and have fine looking all green flower buds .

How do I prevent them from waking so early ?? They are planted in the ground so I think if this becomes a regular basis happening I will have to grow them in containers and bring them in a basement for winter.....
I will provide pics later this day

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Blueberry flower bud freeze damage??
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 09:39:50 AM »
Sorry to hear this.
I don't have any wisdom to offer, as i do not grow blueberries. Good luck!

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 01:15:05 PM »
Sorry to hear this.
I don't have any wisdom to offer, as i do not grow blueberries. Good luck!
thanks, I I will give the problematic plants one more year , and if this happens again will replace them. I am thinking this could be a varietal problem , and not a general blueberry problem in my climate, at least hope so....

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 08:03:11 PM »
Just had 2 consecutive days with freeze here, blueberry blooms are totally fine. I don't know though why your blueberries would come out so early though.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 02:09:44 AM »
Just had 2 consecutive days with freeze here, blueberry blooms are totally fine. I don't know though why your blueberries would come out so early though.
I just checked my darrow blueberrie's buds and they also show damage, the center of some of the buds are brown. I'm really puzzled , i'll see what comes out of theyr flower buds, hope I get at least some fruit in the their second year .....