Author Topic: super haden mango and surpresa mango  (Read 3963 times)

Maickel

• Europe, Spain
    • View Profile
super haden mango and surpresa mango
« on: December 09, 2014, 06:46:10 PM »
Hi,Last year i grafted some surpresa mangos,did anyone taste/eat them?
The same with super haden,has anyone a foto or info of an super haden mango i cant find nothing.

Thanks
Mike

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: super haden mango and surpresa mango
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 07:05:01 PM »
I've heard people mention that Spirit of 76 is like a super Haden but I've never heard of Super Haden before.

Simon

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 12:34:32 AM »
"Super Haden" was a name given to Springfels in Latin America.

https://books.google.com/books?id=wjkAXsaeSg0C&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=super+haden+springfels&source=bl&ots=IstRpc7Zxs&sig=c02k4S1GvG2YD6WfyRWaqgbT2f0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=i9uHVPb6IIbFgwTM1oCwCQ&ved=0CE0Q6AEwCDgK#v=onepage&q=super%20haden%20springfels&f=false

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfels

It is a large, very beautiful mango and the trees produce well along the coast. It gets a bad rap for its moderate fiber content but I have to admit that the flavor has grown on me a little over time. Often compared to pineapple, and it is the maternal parent of Zill's Pineapple Pleasure. The fruit should be harvested before ripening on the tree to avoid uneven ripening. Other drawbacks are that the shelf life is brief and the flesh bruises easily.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 12:51:24 AM by Squam256 »

Maickel

• Europe, Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 03:25:08 PM »
Thank you Squam,for the links, and the value information, i shall have to wait a couple of years before i can taste them.
About the Surpresa,i find out in the forum that its a improved duncan from brazil.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 06:38:56 PM »
Hi,Last year i grafted some surpresa mangos,did anyone taste/eat them?
The same with super haden,has anyone a foto or info of an super haden mango i cant find nothing.

Thanks
Mike

Here a video of the Super Haden of Santiago Cuba that a friend from the forum forward to me yesterday and here is my tree. I call it Villa Clara cuase the seed is from that providence. It is not a Springfels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsIuIEBXGms

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 10:17:37 AM »
That is a great looking Tree/Fruit ! , Is That Tree Available Here In The US To Purchase ?

Great Post ....

Ed
Zone 10

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 10:30:45 AM »
Problem here is some people plant seeds and then coin the name very similar or with the parent's tree in the new name.  This is a bad practice and should not be done.  It leads to completely misleading and incorrect information being sprwad and next thing you know you have a clusterf@&k going on...

No problems doing what Frank has done as he is not portraying it as something its not.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:32:35 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 09:34:17 PM »
Problem here is some people plant seeds and then coin the name very similar or with the parent's tree in the new name.  This is a bad practice and should not be done.  It leads to completely misleading and incorrect information being sprwad and next thing you know you have a clusterf@&k going on...

No problems doing what Frank has done as he is not portraying it as something its not.

Rob I am with you, it's annoying when people do that however it's very common in the third world. The fruit stand owners where my mom bought the Super Haden told her it was a Chino mango. When she brought back the fruit, I knew it wasn't a Chino mango from having had it in Miami. I didn't ID it until yesterday when I received the video. If you do a forum search you can see pix of the original mango, it was huge 4.5lb as big as a coconut. I think it was September 2012 when I planted this seed. As you can see in the video the trees have the same growth habit as mine but mine is a seedling of a Super Haden.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 01:06:30 AM »
Here in the DR we just call the Springfels a Springfels ,   They can sometimes get huge.  quality varies a lot, had some really good ones, other ok for juicing .

I have read about "Super Haden" in Cuban texts.  but never seen an actual mango here in the DR marked as a "Super Haden" so I wonder f they really are just Springfels.

Ok did some looking around,   this link, is about a farmer that is trying to get their "Super Jeidi" ( Super Haden ) in the Guinness book of records for an 8 plus pounder.
http://cafefuerte.com/cuba/economia-y-negocios/2017-reclaman-record-guiness-para-un-supermango-cosechado-en-cuba/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 01:11:01 AM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 10:31:26 AM »
Here in the DR we just call the Springfels a Springfels ,   They can sometimes get huge.  quality varies a lot, had some really good ones, other ok for juicing .

I have read about "Super Haden" in Cuban texts.  but never seen an actual mango here in the DR marked as a "Super Haden" so I wonder f they really are just Springfels.

Ok did some looking around,   this link, is about a farmer that is trying to get their "Super Jeidi" ( Super Haden ) in the Guinness book of records for an 8 plus pounder.
http://cafefuerte.com/cuba/economia-y-negocios/2017-reclaman-record-guiness-para-un-supermango-cosechado-en-cuba/

William
He alter the size of the mango by girdling a branch of the tree. The shape of the mango in the article does not look like the one in the video which is the seedling that I'm growing. It very similar to  Harcher mango

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 12:48:00 PM »
35+ years ago, when I was building my house and starting to shop for some fruit trees, I went to the Zill nursery on Federal Highway in Boynton Beach. Walter Zill took me around on a tasting tour and I got to taste about 10 different varieties -- vague now but I remember 'Philipine', 'Kent', some named after girls, Keitt, Wally, Springfels. He gave me samples to take home and try out on family members. We did a taste test and everyone voted. Springfels came out first, Wally a very close second. I bought a Keitt for late season, a Philipine for early season, and the Wally for mid-season. The following year I went back and bought a Springfels. The first three thrived, but for some reason the Springfels died. I still regret that. Over time I came to dislike the mushy property of the Philipine and took it out. The Keitt is still there and produces nicely. Our head and shoulders favorite is the Wally -- I, my wife, and many other friends who have tasted it consider it the best mango we've ever tasted. The Wally's taste profile was very similar to the Springfels, as I remember.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
hmmmm...never heard of wally.  Sounds good though  Do you like Pineapple Pleasure?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration