Author Topic: Enjoying Fruit in the Philipines  (Read 9509 times)

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Enjoying Fruit in the Philipines
« on: July 26, 2015, 07:47:18 AM »
 Currently in Roxas city enjoying a nice break from the Pacific Partnership Deployment. So far I've enjoyed tons of Manila mangos...I'm assuming their manila Mangos...at least 5 a day. I lucked out and got several SourSops.... Can anyone tell me when they are ripe? I grabbed one that had a blend of yellow coloring  instead of Solid green...hopefully I didn't pick a dud. I've been on the hunt for Durian, but unfortunately it seems to be found in an area far south of me called Devou, the local fruit stands don't carry it. I've heard you can check the markets sometimes and get lucky, but all travel is restricted unless it's by our government contracted transportation...

I stumbled upon a group of workers yesterday who appeared to be eating a Durian, me eyes lit up and I immediately went over there without concern and asked the locals if it was Durian and If I could buy some of it off them... to my surprise this was not Durian, the Worker told me it was actually Marang... He offered me the fruit and It was actually really good...He even gave me a whole fruit, no charge. (I love the Philipines) However I didn't realize this Fruit also doesn't smell pleasant.. I need to eat this thing fast because it's stinking up my Surrounding area. Hopefully the next spot we go to in Subic Bay will have Durian considering it's a commercial port... I must try a fresh Durian to truly judge it's flavor....what's crazy though....As much as people tout it being King in the Asian community...most of the Locals I spoke to here are not fond of this stinky Fruit lol.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

joaave

• jujuy-argentina
    • View Profile
Re: Enjoying Fruit in the Philipines
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:35:06 AM »
upload pictures :)

SamiC

• Bel Air, CA 10b Elevation 1285ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 09:07:12 AM »
Yes pics please. I'd love to see a Manila, manila  ;)
Always looking for Mango budwood!!

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 05:24:40 PM »
If they're in season, try the rambutan, santol (preferably with fermented shrimp paste) and lonzones

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 06:01:23 PM »
Davao is the place you are seeking for quality durians. It's considered the fruit basket of the Philippines. This time of year is almost peak season too. Mangosteen , marang, mango, lansones, durian, rambutan all for around $1/kg. Durian 50 cents per kg peak season at certain markets. I think I'm going to return in October or November (hopefully before durian season comes to an end, luckily marang is pretty much year round,depending on the region )

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 06:15:14 PM »
Oh, what luck. :)

If you are still in Manila, can you make it out to any of the large markets? Divisoria, perhaps? You can find anything under the sun at Divisoria, it is thee open air market in the country. If all else fails, do what my recommendation is to everyone visiting, go to the supermarket. The supermarkets cater to the wealthy and tourists who want fruits out of season. If Durian is not at the open air market, then the supermarket will have it imported from Thailand or Malaysia, along with mangosteen, lanzones, santol, etc.

No, Durian is not "king" in the Philippines. Davao is generally where this grows, and the locals enjoy it more. The north is not as "tropical" as the south, though far more tropical still than Florida. It just doesn't grow as easily, and therefore isn't as popular.
Filipinos do not like "stinky" fruit, in general. Langka(jackfruit) is usually the upper limit of fruit stink. Marang although not stinky to me(musky maybe), will offend some Filipinos. I was taught the Soursop is ripe when you press the outside, and it gives somewhat to your finger. Then chill it, and start stripping it of its segments.

As for Subic, this is an old time location of American presence, as your fellow sailors have probably told you. You may not be able to find tons of diversity in fruit, but there's lots of good places to buy wooden crafts, and where most of the US military would get their mahogany military plaques made. The carvers are way talented.

It's rainy season ... not typically the most abundant fruit wise, but you should be able to find some goodies. Enjoy.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 07:32:08 PM »
Oh, what luck. :)

If you are still in Manila, can you make it out to any of the large markets? Divisoria, perhaps? You can find anything under the sun at Divisoria, it is thee open air market in the country. If all else fails, do what my recommendation is to everyone visiting, go to the supermarket. The supermarkets cater to the wealthy and tourists who want fruits out of season. If Durian is not at the open air market, then the supermarket will have it imported from Thailand or Malaysia, along with mangosteen, lanzones, santol, etc.

No, Durian is not "king" in the Philippines. Davao is generally where this grows, and the locals enjoy it more. The north is not as "tropical" as the south, though far more tropical still than Florida. It just doesn't grow as easily, and therefore isn't as popular.
Filipinos do not like "stinky" fruit, in general. Langka(jackfruit) is usually the upper limit of fruit stink. Marang although not stinky to me(musky maybe), will offend some Filipinos. I was taught the Soursop is ripe when you press the outside, and it gives somewhat to your finger. Then chill it, and start stripping it of its segments.

As for Subic, this is an old time location of American presence, as your fellow sailors have probably told you. You may not be able to find tons of diversity in fruit, but there's lots of good places to buy wooden crafts, and where most of the US military would get their mahogany military plaques made. The carvers are way talented.

It's rainy season ... not typically the most abundant fruit wise, but you should be able to find some goodies. Enjoy.

Wow thanks for the knowledge!!! I hope I can find Mangosteen too... Easily a top 5 fruit!!! Anyone know if Vietnam will have Durian? Heading there as well...im sure dragon fruit will be in abundance...not fond of the white bkand tasting ones though.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

BigIslandGrower

• USA, Hawaii, Puna 700 ft, 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 07:42:57 PM »
Marang is delicious.  Just had some myself while in Malaysia for Lindsay Gasik's durian tour. Fantastic Chempadeks too.  :)  Regarding durian in Vietnam, it is certainly grown there.  Whether or not it's peak season or not now, well....maybe take a look at Year of The Durian website for info on that.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 07:49:04 PM »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 08:11:48 PM »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 08:15:32 PM »

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 08:32:14 PM »
Marang...very strong odor...not stinky, but strong...hadvto remove it from the ship... Literally stunk up a whole quandranth on the boat of a cruise liner size ship....guess it its traveling through the air vents?

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 11:23:28 PM »

Durian is definitely considered king in Davao. One could assume as I'm sure you're aware there's a huge durian statue outside the airport!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 12:16:36 AM »
Currently in Roxas city enjoying a nice break from the Pacific Partnership Deployment. So far I've enjoyed tons of Manila mangos...I'm assuming their manila Mangos...at least 5 a day. I lucked out and got several SourSops.... Can anyone tell me when they are ripe? I grabbed one that had a blend of yellow coloring  instead of Solid green...hopefully I didn't pick a dud. I've been on the hunt for Durian, but unfortunately it seems to be found in an area far south of me called Devou, the local fruit stands don't carry it. I've heard you can check the markets sometimes and get lucky, but all travel is restricted unless it's by our government contracted transportation...

I stumbled upon a group of workers yesterday who appeared to be eating a Durian, me eyes lit up and I immediately went over there without concern and asked the locals if it was Durian and If I could buy some of it off them... to my surprise this was not Durian, the Worker told me it was actually Marang... He offered me the fruit and It was actually really good...He even gave me a whole fruit, no charge. (I love the Philipines) However I didn't realize this Fruit also doesn't smell pleasant.. I need to eat this thing fast because it's stinking up my Surrounding area. Hopefully the next spot we go to in Subic Bay will have Durian considering it's a commercial port... I must try a fresh Durian to truly judge it's flavor....what's crazy though....As much as people tout it being King in the Asian community...most of the Locals I spoke to here are not fond of this stinky Fruit lol.

I remember Subic Bay and Clark air base in the late 70's, they were a lot of fun. Filipinos are wonderful people and their mangos are amazing!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 04:29:26 AM »
Clay, soursops are ready when fully soft. They often turn yellowish when starting to ripen. Try to find some macapuno coconuts, a specialty of the Phillippines that is really yummy! I have some marangs inside my house right now. This is a totally odorless type and is very tasty type. The smelly types smell really bad, like a petroleum distillery. Durians are only popular in southern province of Mindanao, main city there is Davao. Yes there are durians in Vietnam, but don't know if now is the season there?
Enjoy your trip! Keep us posted.
Oscar

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 05:16:44 AM »
OMG guys.... Im so close yet s o far away from my freaking Durian experience!!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 06:01:50 AM »
OMG guys.... Im so close yet s o far away from my freaking Durian experience!!!

You really need to get the Navy more in line with happening fruit destinations, so they will stop in right ports of call.  ;)
Oscar

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 07:24:06 AM »
Clay, soursops are ready when fully soft. They often turn yellowish when starting to ripen. Try to find some macapuno coconuts, a specialty of the Phillippines that is really yummy! I have some marangs inside my house right now. This is a totally odorless type and is very tasty type. The smelly types smell really bad, like a petroleum distillery. Durians are only popular in southern province of Mindanao, main city there is Davao. Yes there are durians in Vietnam, but don't know if now is the season there?

Oscar I just had my first Soursop and I'm sure I nailed the ripeness... I treated it like a Cherimoya basically and checked to see how much give it had..... That being said.... Considering I've been Eating California Cherimoyas, arguably King of the Anonna's... This fruit couldn't hold it's weight at a Cherimoya table....even to a poor sample and crap variety... Too much Fiber, the texture isn't great, flavor is real weak with unwanted acidity.... Hopefully Sugar Apples are better.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 08:26:32 AM »
Clay - dont compare soursop to cherimoya.   What you described is exactly what a soursop is.  You either like it or you dont. If you compare a ssugar apple to a cherimoya you will have the same response.
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 08:27:08 AM »
Soursop fiber is my major objection to the fruit.  The allegedly fiberless variety grows in my yard.  After too many years to think about, it remains fruitless.  With all of its wonderful qualities.....in appearance, flavor and medicinally I so want to report good things about it.  Maybe one day.  My tree has bloomed now lightly for a couple of years.  I am not beginning to hold my breath just yet, but I remain hopeful.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 09:23:29 AM »

Oscar I just had my first Soursop and I'm sure I nailed the ripeness... I treated it like a Cherimoya basically and checked to see how much give it had..... That being said.... Considering I've been Eating California Cherimoyas, arguably King of the Anonna's... This fruit couldn't hold it's weight at a Cherimoya table....even to a poor sample and crap variety... Too much Fiber, the texture isn't great, flavor is real weak with unwanted acidity.... Hopefully Sugar Apples are better.

My 2 cents worth:  As with so many fruits the optimum flavor tends to be a function of where along the ripening curve we choose to eat it.  I'm not a fan of overripe fruit by any means, BUT my experience with soursop from my yard tree is to let it get REALLY ripe. Two years ago I had a couple dozen soursops from a 4-year-old tree. Most of them were big things, several pounds -- and the weight bent my tree over against the house. I had no previous experience eating guanabana so by dumb luck I discovered that waiting as long as possible to pick is the way to go. They ripen VERY quickly -- from hard one day, to some slight give the next day, to quite spongy the next, and then by the next day the weight often rips out the stem and they fall. At that point they almost feel like water balloons and I have to carry them cradled on the open palm of my hand. So soft that I could just stick my finger easily right through the skin and flesh, or just mash the thing up in my hands if I wanted to. By trial and error I've learned that I can leave them on the kitchen counter until the skin gets brownish/copper and a kind of hexigonal pattern becomes visible.

To prepare, I use a very sharp 'tomato slicer' knife and gently cut the whole thing into disks maybe 2 cm thick. That makes getting to the seeds much easier. I wash my hands and then process the fruit disks with my fingers -- removing the skin, feeling for seeds and popping them out. I save the glistening white flesh in a bowl and usually let it get cold in the refrigerator. It's a very messy deal!

I use most of mine in smoothies -- combined with avocado. Really spectacular. Or just straight fruit with a spoon or fork is terrific too. I've also frozen some and used it many months later. Guanabana is delicious with its own unique complexity and an eye-popping flavor INTENSITY in the manner of great mangoes and surinams.  I have found that any presence of fibre is a non-issue at this stage of ripeness.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 10:29:04 AM »

Hey Clay
It sounds like you are having a great time protecting us from all our enemies and enjoying exotic fruits. Guanabanas are basically use for champola or sorbet ( smoothies) that's were they shine. You would be hard press to find a better tasting fruit than a cherimoya the only one I've tasted that gives it a run for the money is sweet tart mango. Maybe in September when you are back in the state you can try a ST at our tasting.

joaave

• jujuy-argentina
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 03:08:01 PM »
thanx for sharing pictures of the fruit...Enjoy

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 07:08:10 PM »
Thank you, for what you're doing in the Philippines, Clay. I wish they would reestablish the bases, personally. :)

Now, it could be that you just are not a fan of the flavor of Soursop, but it is such a refreshing flavor, it's probably the fruit wasn't from a good batch, or was picked too early. Keep in mind, the juice is much more favorable over there than the fruit itself ... the juice is easily bought in cans. Gina being probably the most known brand. It's hard to beat on a scorching day(which is just about every day in the Phils).

There is a big fruit planting region in Pampanga(not too far north of Manila), where Clark is, so not too far from Subic. Dizon Farms, the supplier of exotic fruits to pretty much every chain of supermarket in the country, has fruit plantations there. The difference with a lot of the fruit from Dizon Farms, is that the fruit you find in the market often comes from a seller's own trees(which 8 of 10 means seedling), while Dizon Farms grows selected varieties.
There's definitely some good growing regions by you, but finding specific fruit might not be as easy. Dizon probably export Durian from their Davao plantations, because they have plantations in Pampanga, Davao, and Mindoro. This is why I suggest if you can't find what you want in the market, to try a chain supermarket. Well, hope you find what you're looking for. Love the pictures btw.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 07:56:25 PM »
...and I'd been feeling so sorry for you stuck  on a ship
out in the middle of a featureless nowhere.....

Clay - Pleeeeeeeze get a picture of your face as you cut into your first
durian...... :P

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk