Author Topic: Australian Mangoes Headed to the US  (Read 6226 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Australian Mangoes Headed to the US
« on: January 15, 2015, 06:17:13 PM »
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-15/mangoes-to-the-us/6019506

Australian mangoes may soon be going to the US in large numbers and will be available at outrageous prices.The KP haters will be able to show scorn from personal experience but will need to pay for that experience handsomely.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Australian Mangoes Headed to the US
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 06:26:29 PM »

Australian mangoes may soon be going to the US in large numbers and will be available at outrageous prices.The KP haters will be able to show scorn from personal experience but will need to pay for that experience handsomely.

Oh yummy! Irradiated Kensington Pride mangoes for $20 each refrigerated and shipped from the other side of the planet. Not likely to go over big in S. Florida!
Oscar

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 06:39:05 PM »
I'll try one, Mike....as long as they don't mix them in with the Tommy Atkins
pile!

Gary

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 07:04:16 PM »
Oscar, its likely they will be dirt cheap as Australian produce is invariably cheaper after export than anything we find here. International trade is a funny thing.
I'm certain the KPs in the US will have been picked early and taste as zesty as a lemon!
They may just end up shipping the rubbish old Florida mangoes back to the US as mangoes like Keitt, Kent, Brooks and TA just sit shrivelling on supermarket shelves here.
Worst case scenario is you get Calypso, which will enchant buyers with their looks, but taste like freshly moistened newspaper...

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 07:08:34 PM »
The Australians should not waste their time shipping these irradiated mangoes to Florida. Though I think the Californians will bite.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 07:56:04 PM »
I saw that 3 small not very nice tasting mango's go for 10 us$ on Hawaii ,where they were grown!

In Holland we eat great big mango's from Spain/ S-Africa/Brasil/Israel for half that price. They are imported.

Americans should be happy to not being extorted anymore. If they can't grow mango's for a fair price then just import them.

Australia also sends R2E2 to thailand but we don't like them, send us some better ones with red color and they will be loved here.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 08:25:22 PM »
Yes, send all the "red" mangoes to Thailand,  or at least to bangcock, as he feels the color has some great bearing on the quality.   ::)
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 08:26:53 PM »
Oscar - would they be irradiated or would they go through the dreaded boiling water bath like all those green bananas.
- Rob

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 09:31:35 PM »
Oscar - would they be irradiated or would they go through the dreaded boiling water bath like all those green bananas.
The article in the link says they're going to be irradiated. Hot water treatment can also be used on mangoes, but looks like the Aussies opted out for irradiation.
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 09:37:52 PM »
The article in the link says they're going to be irradiated. Hot water treatment can also be used on mangoes, but looks like the Aussies opted out for irradiation.

Thanks...i couldn't get the link to open on my phone.  Kept getting an error.
- Rob

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 03:11:15 AM »
Oscar, its likely they will be dirt cheap as Australian produce is invariably cheaper after export than anything we find here. International trade is a funny thing.
I'm certain the KPs in the US will have been picked early and taste as zesty as a lemon!
They may just end up shipping the rubbish old Florida mangoes back to the US as mangoes like Keitt, Kent, Brooks and TA just sit shrivelling on supermarket shelves here.
Worst case scenario is you get Calypso, which will enchant buyers with their looks, but taste like freshly moistened newspaper...

They're pretty average, in my opinion. They do look sexy but they would be my last choice at the supermarket. Pearl is a good mango I don't know much about, bought a few kilos of them last year and they were delicious.

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 03:55:18 AM »
Calypso is quite reasonable if you get it straight off the tree at peak ripeness. However, it looks great months before its best and its at this stage it is harvested for transport. So you very rarely see anything like it peak unless you find a good farmer.

I was not a fan of Pearl at all. Reminded me of Keitt and I couldn't eat my bag of three mangoes. If you like Keitt you'll probably like Pearl, though.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 05:40:34 AM »
I am not a fan of pearl and to me it is no  better than Keitt. R2E2 is trash and calypso might be better tree ripened but still is intensely mediocre at its finest.Honey Gold is likely to have better market acceptance but might meet the red skin requirement for the American consumer.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 06:48:40 AM »
Is Pearl a red mango? I have a tree called "red pearl" aka "mook daeng" and it is imported in the group of Taiwanese mango's.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 04:50:23 PM »
I am not a fan of pearl and to me it is no  better than Keitt. R2E2 is trash and calypso might be better tree ripened but still is intensely mediocre at its finest.Honey Gold is likely to have better market acceptance but might meet the red skin requirement for the American consumer.
Honestly, it seems Aussies only have high praises for KP and everything else is considered trash. I would pay $20 for one exported KP to figure out why this is? National mind washing program going on over there?  ;)
Oscar

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 06:51:56 PM »

Oh yummy! Irradiated Kensington Pride mangoes for $20 each refrigerated and shipped from the other side of the planet. Not likely to go over big in S. Florida!

It's so dissapointing Oscar that we Southern California and Florida (Most Parts) Grow terrible bland tasting Mangos out there such as the Tommy Atkins Commercially, while the rest of the World is eating good Mangoes!  I dont give a Rats Ass about pretty colors that hold well in the Market!!! give us some good quality fruit!
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 10:07:12 PM »
While Asians might pay 20 bux for a KP it won't happen in the US as the article says.It is a different market and mango consumption is perhaps lighter and it might not be the top grade ones that get sent.It would be a shame if it were pearls before Americans.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 11:06:42 PM »

It's so dissapointing Oscar that we Southern California and Florida (Most Parts) Grow terrible bland tasting Mangos out there such as the Tommy Atkins Commercially, while the rest of the World is eating good Mangoes!  I dont give a Rats Ass about pretty colors that hold well in the Market!!! give us some good quality fruit!
Unfortunately the majority of Americans don't care that much for fruits and won't pay that much for fruits. Asians and Latinos tend to be a lot more fond of fruits and willing to pay more and seek them out. So the market supplies what most people demand. Maybe if there was a fruit riot in America the stores would start buying better fruits? ;)
Oscar

starling1

• Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 04:12:30 AM »
Honestly, it seems Aussies only have high praises for KP and everything else is considered trash. I would pay $20 for one exported KP to figure out why this is? National mind washing program going on over there?  ;)

It's hard to think of a better mango than a Tree ripened one, but I can; Valencia pride. More complex with just the right amount of astringency and zero fibre.

Kp is so common here it's unbelievable Oscar, literally every nursery that sells mangoes stock them and there are feral wild ones all over the place in Brisbane. R2e2 is very common also, I don't like it personally.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 04:43:53 PM »
In January the Wall Mart near my house had Alphonso
on sale for $.48 cents each.
They are normally .68 or maybe .78 i forget.

they were pretty darn good tasting
i havent seen any since though.
Im almost positive i saw product of Mexico stamp on them.

The little Mexican grocer near me has them on a regular basis in the summer
i think they are 1 dollar there, and often bruised, but, rarely under-ripe.

Most of the reds (TA?) i find here are very under-ripe
i have to let them sit on the shelf for a week, even in summer
and the winter mango are always watery and taste like crap.
Its depressing when you havent had a mango fix in months.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 04:53:58 PM »
In January the Wall Mart near my house had Alphonso
on sale for $.48 cents each.
They are normally .68 or maybe .78 i forget.

they were pretty darn good tasting
i havent seen any since though.
Im almost positive i saw product of Mexico stamp on them.

The little Mexican grocer near me has them on a regular basis in the summer
i think they are 1 dollar there, and often bruised, but, rarely under-ripe.

Most of the reds (TA?) i find here are very under-ripe
i have to let them sit on the shelf for a week, even in summer
and the winter mango are always watery and taste like crap.
Its depressing when you havent had a mango fix in months.

Despite what a label or sticker says, my guess is that they were not true Alphonso.  There are many distributers selling mangoes labeled as Alphonso that are fruit from seedling trees.
- Rob

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 11:10:59 PM »
I have caught myself again eating R2E2 in the company of culinary inferiors. Each time suckered in by its well-endowed figure and curves in the right places. But not worth it at all. #R2MeToo
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk