Author Topic: Seedless lychees  (Read 1870 times)

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
Re: Seedless lychees
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 02:27:12 AM »
His two main seedless cultivars are Sansuelin and Suelinsan. A third variety, seeded, is called Linsansue. If you are wondering about these silly names, it is because he truncated the three names of his daughters to name his first cultivar. Presumably, not anticipating he would name more cultivars, he changed the ordering around for the subsequent cultivars. Obviously the logical solution would have been to just rename the cultivars to a shorted form: San, Sue and Lin.

Not a fan of Mr Dixon... Bought some lychee trees from him, after that he never replied to an email. He also brags about his wealth, how he has traveled to every single country on earth, how his daughter is top CEO of mining company, etc.
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 10:02:18 PM »
Would you guys send us some scions?
Might as well throw in seedless cherimoya? ;D

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 03:16:34 AM »
I think a few Chinese seedless unauthorised trees may also be floating around. They will have to be good to knock the shine off Erdon Lee.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 03:18:30 AM »
I am still waiting eagerly for seedless macadamias.

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 03:57:43 AM »

I am still waiting eagerly for seedless macadamias.
;D

My Erdon Lee flowered this year but still way too small for fruit. Will be at least another two years here. It may be the spot it’s in but seems less vigorous than the others (though they all sped up as time went on, hopefully it does too.

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 02:02:36 AM »
is this lychee a legitimate option?  i would love to grow this in Hawaii
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 02:27:20 AM »
Maybe the US isn't ready for out of sequence varieties as it would upset the lychee continuum. Perhaps there is a need to go through a  fai zee siu phase and an erdon lee period before graduating to seedless types.

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 05:16:23 AM »
I would sooner say lychees have a stone or pit, so in a way lychees have always been seedless to me. I don't think there is a botanically correct application for these terms, which include pips and kernels too, it's more of a vernacular thing that probably had origins in distinguishing what was edible (seed) from inedible (stone). It also might have been connected to plural vs singular units within the one fruit.

Interestingly, in Slavonic languages they use the modified metaphor of "bone" for the pit or stone of a fruit, probably because one gnaws flesh off it before discarding. Though I think nowadays they too jumble this word with the regular word for seed.

I'd say it's all a symptom of the general dumbing down of society, but I don't have the stones to go that far.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 05:17:59 AM by Mango Stein »
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida